IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who new season, First three eps - brilliant!
Mxyzptlk
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,032

post Sep 29 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #21
My thoughts on tonight's episode (CONTAINS SPOLIERS).

By far the best of the season so far. I'm glad they did a serious episode for a change instead of the farce of the past couple of weeks.

The big thing obviously, is the exit of Amy and Rory - we all knew it was coming, but it still managed to keep me guessing on exactly how they were going to go. I think they did it very well indeed, it seemed to work on many levels.

However, there was still a lot of fluff in there; loose threads that made it untidy. Some things felt as though they should have been more significant (like River and the angels), while other bits felt like they were made too much of (like the guy with the Chinese vases).

It wasn't scary. Even on 12-year-old level, it wasn't scary. Compared to the other times the angels have appeared, this is easily the least frightening of the lot. I realise that wasn't the point of the episode, but I think the scare-factor could have been stepped up a gear, at least in places.

It was a little slow getting going, but there were several interesting temporal twisters in there that probably go over the head of the casual viewer but that make the true fans ponder on for a while. A few inconsistencies with previous episodes, but this could be overlooked.

I felt very sorry for Rory though. Once again he was sidelined in a big way. He's jumping to his death but the only name we hear anyone shouting is Amy, Amy, Amy!!!

I do think that more time should have been spent on the Amy/Rory dynamic - it could certainly have used more emotion; really made us feel their pain. It didn't seem to have quite the same impact that Rose's exit did for example, more like the death of the guest-star-of-the-week than a series regular.

Overall then, I'd say it was good, but not great. To be great, it needed to heighten the emotion; make me more afraid of the angles and more sad at the end.

I very much doubt we've seen the last of Amy and Rory. All the other companions have returned despite the odds, and I'm sure this pair will be no different.

But it looks like it will be off the air for a while, which is a shame. But the news isn't all bad because we've got Merlin in it's place, which is very different, but just as good drama, if not dare I say, perhaps even a little better??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrontierGeek
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,260

post Sep 30 2012, 02:06 AM
Post #22
MORGANA IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by FrontierGeek: Sep 30 2012, 02:06 AM

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

Member No.: 1,536

post Oct 1 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #23
You weren't scared? Some bits terrified me!

How do you get rid of companions without them all of a sudden stopping and without killing them off? You age them to death.

I mean, I can see advantages. They could have placed money on a number of different schemes, gotten rich through foreknowledge. Still, I don't understand why they stayed in New York. I guess the temptation would have been too great of they had gone back to England. And yeah, I don't think this is the last of them, but I do think we are not going to see many more River Song episodes, which upsets me more, as she is such a great counter foil for the Doctor.

How do weeping angels procreate? I mean, it's not like they can check each other out. The second anyone looks at an angel - including another angel - they quantum lock. It would make foreplay rather interesting. I guess they only do it in the dark. Imagine angel infidelity. You walk in on your angel partner, you are frozen in a look of shock and horror, whilst your cheating counterpart is frozen caught in the act. Or am I overthinking this?

The Statue of Liberty with teeth - that was a great twist. Remind me not to blink if I ever go to Liberty Island.

All in all, a BRILLIANT episode. Shame we have to wait for the rest.

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

post Oct 1 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #24
QUOTE (FrontierGeek @ Sep 30 2012, 06:06 PM) *
MORGANA IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, ok.......... :s

+Quote Post
Mxyzptlk
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Oct 2 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #25
QUOTE (Moentran @ Oct 2 2012, 12:50 AM) *
You weren't scared? Some bits terrified me!

Yeah, I may have been a bit quick there. The night after I wrote that, I must admit to being a bit... unsettled. You know, when you're alone in the dark. Not fear exactly, but when your mind slips into irrational mode and you start thinking "what if..."

So actually, I'd like to retract what I said there; I guess it did work in that regard after all.

I think I was probably more "scared" of seeing myself as a decrepit old man rather than being sent back in time by statues, but it still worked.

I do think we are not going to see many more River Song episodes

I don't see why we couldn't see River again. After all, she first appeared long before either Amy or Rory did.
I agree, she's a good character, but I'm a bit wary of her being overused and loosing her magic.
It's all a bit weird, because we still haven't seen how River gets to know the Doctor in the first place. I know we saw her "hatch" as it were, but we've never really seen a young and innocent River fumbling in the TARDIS for the first time and so on. Whenever we see her now, she's always the futuristic version who knows more than the Doctor does. I think it would be nice to have the tables turned.

I guess they only do it in the dark.

Yeah, I've had people insist on that before. Very boring. icon_lol.gif

am I overthinking this?

Yes.
But what I want to know is what exactly do they do when they're not sneaking up on people? Ok, so they feed off the temporal energy of sending people back in time, but what do they do with that energy? - Just send more people back in time? It all seems a bit circular.

The Statue of Liberty with teeth - that was a great twist. Remind me not to blink if I ever go to Liberty Island.

Yeah, and nobody in New York seemed particularly bothered by it!
In fact, there were countless people dying and so on, but once Amy and Rory "left', the Doctor just gave up and went away! - What about everyone else? Will New York forever be doomed like that? The problem was never really solved!

+Quote Post
FrontierGeek
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,260

post Oct 3 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #26
QUOTE (Moentran @ Oct 1 2012, 03:51 PM) *
Um, ok.......... :s

lol Mxyzptlk mentioned Merlin and my fanboyishness came out. I an't ashamed. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

post Oct 5 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #27
QUOTE (Mxyzptlk @ Oct 3 2012, 12:56 AM) *
But what I want to know is what exactly do they do when they're not sneaking up on people? Ok, so they feed off the temporal energy of sending people back in time, but what do they do with that energy? - Just send more people back in time?
It all seems a bit circular.

Yes. It's called the circle of life. Animals go out and hunt other animals so that they have the energy to hunt other animals and... Oh, you get the point.

+Quote Post
Belgarion
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,114

post Oct 6 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #28
I thought it was a great episode.

I didn't find it scary, more creepy perhaps. And I too always get that "what if" thing happening after I watch episodes with the Angels in it.

The Statue of Liberty being an Angel I actually thought was a nice twist. Here is thing world famous international symbol of hope, being corrupted into something you don't want to be on the same planet with. Though i do wonder what people might have thought if they had chosen that moment to look at Liberty island. Or indeed the statue itself. The jig would have been up.

I will admit to getting a little misty eyed in some spots, and I was sad to see Amy and Rory go, and I agree Mxyzptlk about when they were falling off the roof, about the Doctor only calling out Amy. Especially since they have taken the trouble, especially in the last few episodes to make it a point that the Doctor has actually grown to consider Rory as a companion too, not just Amy's boyfriend/husband.

I always like River Song. Always have. I think Alex Kingston is awesome, and if I could cast her in something of my own I would do so in an instant. I also get the feeling that we will be seeing more of her in the future. She essentially said so herself.

Can't wait for more.

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

post Oct 7 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #29
Upon reflection today, I realised why the opera was Carmen. Carmen was a woman doomed to die (as foreseen by her future) but she chose to live her life the way she wanted, even though it meant her death.

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

post Oct 11 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #30
And now, the long, long wait for the next round of episodes. The only consolation I have is that Game Of Thrones is an even longer wait.

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

post Jan 7 2013, 02:03 PM
Post #31
The Snowman.

Well.

Definayey not my favourite episode. There were some brilliant bits (The TARDIS on a cloud, the one word test, the governess coming back to life and Punch saving the day) ... But!

*I thought Richard E. Grant and Ian McKellen were very underused and they could have done so much more with them. If I had them for an episode, there's no way I would have used them that little. I guess, though, it means that this is the second time in a Christmas episode that they have used a wizard (The first being a beardless Dumbledore in A Christmas Carol).

*The snowmen were rubbish enemies. To defeat them, you just had to think of them melting.

*I got a bit tired of Strax's use of threatening/offering service manner. And to make him a fool... Not using the gauntlets twice!! It just made him so one dimensional as to make him almost no dimensional. I mean, come on! The Sontarans are a clever race of warriors, not a pudgy version of Jerry Lewis!

That said, I want that big snow globe thingy. As a prop, it looked brilliant.

+Quote Post
Mxyzptlk
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Jan 8 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #32
QUOTE (Moentran @ Jan 7 2013, 11:03 PM) *
The Snowman.

Overall, I thought this was one of the better Christmas Specials, certainly better than last year's. (Although Merlin was much better)

I like Clara; she's a good actress with a definite presence and I'm interested to see how they link her with the "other" version.

I also liked the new intro, and the new Tardis interior (always good to see more than just the control room).

I am disappointed though that we won't be seeing anymore until April!

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

post Jan 9 2013, 05:45 AM
Post #33
Oh yes; Jenna was brilliant, as was Matt Smith. I dunno - I just wanted more plot, less character. Still, as a Christmas special, it wasn't bad. I still prefer (from Matt Dmith's tenure) A Christmas Carol. Sharks that swim in the air! Just awesome.

+Quote Post
admiralrea
EQX Executive Producer
Group Icon

"

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 4,304

post Jul 26 2014, 05:09 PM
Post #34
8th season coming up

with the 12th doctor after the end of time of the doctor

should be a good season not as big as the 7th season and the speacials

but it will be great it'll go into the tennant dr.who in pompeii and the torchwood series
should be cool

+Quote Post
Mxyzptlk
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Aug 23 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #35
Ok, so the new season starts with Peter Capaldi...
(SPOILERS ahead)

Not bad, but not amazing.
I'm not really a fan of the Vastra lot, though Strax can be funny as long as he isn't too over-the-top.
Some good bits, but a fair bit of waffle. - Fairly typical I guess.

Capaldi seems ok so far; I think I'll probably prefer him to Matt Smith, but it's still early days.

What did other people think?

+Quote Post
admiralrea
EQX Executive Producer
Group Icon

"

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 4,304

post Sep 1 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #36
if it goes well peter capaldi would go for another 2 seasons

most of the actor who played the doctor do about 3 seasons in the 2005 doctorwho

i wwonder if he'll last longer then christoper eccelston

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 01:24 AM