Guests cannot vote 
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Sep 17 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #1
"Iliad" is now in limited release.  Here's a thread for you to rate it as well as post your reviews.

Please note, this is a SPOLIER zone!!  If you have not seen the episode, you may not want to read this thread!

Enjoy!

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nivektaylor
Ensign
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,118

post Sep 17 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #2
I forgot that i was watching a fan made series half way through......

The music is amazing and i absolutely adore Lt Maya Stadie (however its spelled).....i think her character is solid

and the 10 minutes thats corey and Ro had......priceless  ;D

+Quote Post
Macker
Commodore
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,549

Warn: XXXXX

post Sep 17 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #3
and the 10 minutes thats corey and Ro had......priceless  ;D
No matter how you look at it, it's nice to know that quickies still exist in the 24th Century.... 8)

+Quote Post
Eliot
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,482

post Sep 17 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #4
What an amazing story...
This was more than I expected...

Some weak acting, some very strong acting...
The kisses are quite weak, if you are in a releationsship and say "good bye" you do this more deeply.

And "Mr. Henglar" needs to get more aggressive when playing, for god's sake he's a general now not a doctor :)

Thanks for this great stuff!

best regards,

Eliot

+Quote Post
Lt.Sovak
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,217

post Sep 17 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #5
ok here is my take on the new Odyssey show!
I loved the Romulan battle scene in the beginning. The Romulans look very authentic and the costumes were excellent.
The kiss scene with Cory and Ro could have used a little more efffort! I mean thse guys are in love and freshly married! I did  like the "quicky scene"
  I didnt like the captian of the  Odyssey! Since when do vulcans have long hair! I mean yeah i mean when they are going through the Kohlinar ritual i can see. Aso he had a female vulcans name!
I absolutely loved Subcommander T'lorra. She had the perfect attitude for a romulan woman.
I did like the way Lt.Stadi intrduced herself on the shuttle. She has a unique personality and i bet she is going to have alot of moments on the Odyssey.

I have to agree with some others,this did have a Voyager feel to it but i LOVED Voyager soo...

I wish  that the XO could have lived. I think he would have made a great story line for future episodes! He was very interesting to say the least!

Ok i am done ranting but i do have a couple more comments to  make. Does this mean that Ro will now wear a red uniform instead of blue! Also what happened to Cory........"tears begin to form"...
  All in all the episode was well put together and the actors did a great job. I know that you guys are very talented actors and i am proud to be a fan of Hidden Frontiers and Odyssey.
I cant waite to see what the next episode will bring!!

+Quote Post
matthew954
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,470

post Sep 17 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #6
An excellent episode.  It definently seems along the lines of Voyager.  Lost in the Andromeda Galaxy.  I too liked Stadi, her quirky sense of humor is not a quality often seen in a tactical officer.  The music was well made as well as the special effects.  I was only sad to see that the episode was over.  Without a doubt I'm glad I found Hidden Frontier just a few days ago and watched all the episodes to pave the way for Odyssey.  Two well made projects.  One thing is for sure I will be anxiously waiting for the next episode.  Great writing and acting, you would never think that it was a fan film.  Two thumbs way up!

+Quote Post
enzed
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,320

post Sep 17 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #7
What a great episode this was. For a while I thought I could pick where the story was going but a number of things happened that I did not even consider possibilites.

The fate of the Klingon Crew (and poor Corey) being one of the big shocks.

I agree that Lt Maya Stadi looks to be a great new character, as does Sub-Commander T'Lorra.

The mystery surrounding the Archeins and their relationships is also making my brain do somersaults.

That's all I think I can write tonight. I have to go and watch it again so that I can come up with some more interesting comments than just general excitement and jubilation.

+Quote Post
notsonoble
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,290

post Sep 17 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #8
It definently seems along the lines of Voyager.

I'll be honest... Its almost TOO much like Voyager. I mean the opening concept is IDENTICAL. A ship stuck well beyond the crew's lifespan from Federation space. A crew in massive conflict internally. It's just that they wrapped the conflict in two characters the Romulan and the Betazoid Sec officer.

Now that I'm done with its disappointments...
The episode as a production itself was great. Maya has great potential as a character, the music was wonderful, and the transitions were seamless. You can definitely see the improvements. The idea that there's some internal strife in the Empire is good. Also, a Romulan main character will be great.

8 of 10

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,357

post Sep 17 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #9
Now I for one, have to say that I liked Voyager very much! There's not a Trek made that I haven't enjoyed (just a handful of episodes).  Along that line, I thought it would've been cool if Ro had referred to Voyager in some way.

"Now I have an idea of how Admiral Janeway felt, when her ship was trapped in the Delta Quadrant." or some such line, but that's just me.  I like seeing bonds made between canon and fan-made Treks.

Now onto the rest of it - I like the new characters!  The Archeins are definitely creepy, with those dark faces (is it me, or did Sharon's gums even look black? SCARY!), though I was sorry to see that the Grand Majan is dying.  Seems like Jenn's luck in Odyssey will be even worse than it was on HF! 

I don't quite get what the deal is with Caecus though, with Seram telling him he is greater than any of the Great Ones. Is this just because she's in love with him, or is he destined for something? BTW, did anyone else still find it weird to see Adam kissing a woman?

I liked Morrigu's intro, and for his first foray into the new character, I thought John did a great job, though I too think he could possibly be a little more aggressive.

Back before Odyssey began (seems like a long time now), I brought up the question of the Kelvans, though Rob was deliberately evasive (you clever schemer, you! ;) ).  Mayhaps we have a future ally for the Odyssey?

I was pleasantly surprised to see Joni Bovill again. I hadn't been expecting her!

Do I have any negatives to say? Yes, a couple.  I thought T'Lek was not a very convincing Vulcan. He lacked the inner strength that seems to exude from most Vulcans (Spock, Tuvok, T'Pol, S'Tal), so although his death was a tragedy in the story, I wasn't overly saddened.  And Conner? Well, no offense to Lund, but his character was a JERK! I was glad to see him go.

The sets are amazing work, with such clarity and detail!  I loved the observation lounge with the display of the Odyssey predecessors, though I couldn't see a Galaxy class Odyssey there.  Rob, can you put up a pic of that display?

But I still find it WEIRD to see DS12 and Ba'ku not surrounded by the Briar Patch. :D

I guess that's all I can think of to say for now. But I do want to know whether Korg and Aster survived the battle in the Alpha Quadrant! :D

So, how long until the next release?  :lol:

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Sep 17 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #10
Overall a very good episode.

Particular plus points -

Loved Stadi and T'Lorra, can't quite put my finger on why but Stadi has a quirky humour thing going on, and she's a "real" betazoid, no half hearted attempts to feel for stuff, she can go the whole hog if required.  T'Lorra, I think I just like authorotative women, especially in uniform.  She's no nonsense, don't soften her up too much if at all.
Makeup - Romulan, Bolian, Archein in particular - Seems much improved and must have taken a lot of effort.
Tension in the Archien camp, Grand Majen does not appear to really know that her entire forces are at war and "taking" what they need.  Seram seems to be going against her wishes - There'll be trouble.
Morrigu - I like the fact that he's not outwardly aggressive - As they say "It's the quiet ones you need to watch.."
Music - The music worked very well and Dex has done a great job - Looking forward to hearing the music seperately.
CGI - This was extremelly good, especially the Odyssey itself and the backplates - Always good to see them animated.  The ship's core was good too.  There was an artifact/glitch on the DS12 pan shot, not sure where that came from.
Sharon - Great stuff, great character, from evil nastiness to smooth seductiveness in one sentence. 
The Archien's are well developed, we even saw some of their language (or their equivalent of old latin or greek?) ably spoken by Sharon.

Surprises :

[spoiler]The bolian died !!!  Did not expect that.  The makeup and Andrew were too good to die :([/spoiler]
Seram and Caecus, what's that all about ?  Whatever it is must lead to trouble. 

Nit picks -
Thought the Ro/Aster scene was a bit long and talky - maybe the rush around then slow down - embrace, kiss and flop down slowly to off camera would have worked a bit better for me.  But then I guess they did only have 10 minutes...
[spoiler]Stadi's response to the death of the senior crew was a bit blase (funny but blase).  Perhaps in response to less serious news and it would have been more ok.[/spoiler]
As mentioned, very Voyager premise, I don't have a problem with that, it will be all in the execution.  Rob - you know someone is counting shuttles ;)

Note - The interlacing was not visible when using VLC although I have not setup any special settings on it. 

+Quote Post
Eric Busby
Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 212

post Sep 17 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #11
The fate of the Klingon Crew (and poor Corey) being one of the big shocks.

Concidering Korg turns up in episode five of Lost Frontier which takes place a decade or two down the road still. It is safe to assume he got out alive. And I would be really upset if Corey did not make it out as well.

Over all. This knocked my socks off. Everything was perfrect. It was amazing to see the work that went into this.

What a wonderful age we live in ehh? Where even thought the networks can ice a great show. But the fan can get together and make one just as good if not better.

I want to write one of these episodes one day.

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,357

post Sep 17 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #12
I want to write one of these episodes one day.

You and me BOTH!  I coulda been a writer for ODY, but I was so FOCUSED on Origins, that I let a GREAT opportunity slip away!

(Writer slams his head into the wall, deliberately into a stud) :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall: :headwall:

What do you say, Rob?   :( :) :(

+Quote Post
ethanmuldoon
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,533

post Sep 17 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #13
I was keeping my figures crossed all night while I waited for the download to finish that I would like the epsiode and not hate myself for waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the file to finish downloading.  I must say the episode was better than I imagined.

It was nice to have some of the familiar faces from HF appear, but I was more than glad to get the chance to learn about new characters (played by old actors) and see what journey Odyssey would take them on. 

The show was full of funny moments too.  I busted out laughing when Corey and Ro was trying to make their last minutes of DS12 count, and Commander Lefler kept trying to talk.  The whole "we can do it in 10 minutes, we have done it before" cracked me up.  I also loved the bits of humor that found its way into other spots of the new series maiden voyage.  The Security chief added her own whit regarding the trouble behind them, scary something in front of them and a warp core issue.  There were many, many more moments that made me laugh, but I will have to watch it again to remember them all.

In all, I want to tell the Odyssey team they did a FANtastic job, and they made something to be proud of.  Congrats again!!

+Quote Post
ethanmuldoon
Ensign
Group Icon

post Sep 17 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #14
Regarding Writer's comment, Yes, it did seem wierd to see Adam kissing on a girl.  At least in the garden (?) he seemed to be flirting with the other boy! :)

+Quote Post
ethanmuldoon
Ensign
Group Icon

post Sep 17 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #15
I agree that Lt Maya Stadi looks to be a great new character, as does Sub-Commander T'Lorra.

I definitely think it will be a welcome change to see this actor portray Stadi.  She did great as a Vulcan for HF, but this allows for more emotions (especially as a Betazoid).  I also loved some of the little funnies that she made here and there.

+Quote Post
ethanmuldoon
Ensign
Group Icon

post Sep 17 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #16
Some weak acting, some very strong acting...
The kisses are quite weak, if you are in a releationsship and say "good bye" you do this more deeply.

I also wish the "good-bye" kisses could have been a bit more passion-filled.  For two guys that haven't really finished their honeymoon, they need to be more "hot and heavy" for each other :) 

I am still glad a gay character is part of the story line though!

+Quote Post
FaxModem1
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,408

post Sep 17 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #17
I liked it, course, I have a couple things.

Seems like the Alpha Quadrant will never know peace, huh?

Why is T'lorra wearing a uniform from over a century ago?

Kelvan resistance, interesting.

The acting, the battles, the effects, the music, all beautiful, although I do wish that not all the music was hopeful when it was a serious or sad moment.

Other than that, I can't wait to see the next one.

+Quote Post
dru
Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 194

post Sep 17 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #18
I give it an A-.  It wasn't perfect but it was a solid setup, makeup is looking great, the new hostile race and interesting, there was no speech about gazelles.

I find it a bit too convenient the most senior officers were killed all at once and there was only one ensign in engineering besides the chief?

I had no problem with the kissing.  It was good to see Adam as an alien again.  Can't wait to see Ro/Bobby in command next time.

Good job overall.  Unfortunately I had to watch the dial-up version because decoding the 720 is a bit too much for this computer.

+Quote Post
Historian Dlan
Staff Writer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,410

post Sep 18 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #19
WARNING: Lots of "un-cloaked" spoilers in this post.

I think the whole thing was fantastic. I particularly liked the little touches that might not be caught on an initial viewing. The doorway to Ro's and Aster's quarters was major to me. I think that's the first time I've seen Areakt characters come through a door. And Aster shoving Lefler into the hallway was hysterical. Uhm...isn't there a penalty for flinging a superior officer away?

Yes, the kisses between Ro and Aster seemed a little arid, but that doesn't surprise me. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't JT and Adam a couple? I know I'd have a hard time passionately kissing a woman if I had a girlfriend watching from ten feet away. But even though the kissing appeared to be subdued, the actual interaction wasn't. When Corey snatches the padd away from Ro and then sits next to him, that looked like an in-love couple to me. And Aster looking at the viewscreen as R'Kag and Odyssey parted ways...no dialogue...just looking at the viewscreen, perfect.

The CGI was superb, the battle scenes breathtaking and the blast shield coming down around the slipstream core was awesome. The backgrounds are all great. The editing in the group scenes was flawless.

A lot of the acting in this was top notch. Michelle Laurent blew me away. I can't wait to see more of Julia's Stadi. John Whiting as always, proved that he's on the "right" side of the camera, no matter how much he protests. And I like him playing Morrigu slightly understated. This is a man with a lot going on under the surface.  In a couple of scenes with Sharon it wouldn't have surprised me in the least if she'd started screaming about wire hangers. Shudder. Seram, definitely not the type of woman you bring home to Mama. Unless Mama's jonesing for some red goo. Tim's performance as Gillen is a nice taste of the vulnerability he's bringing to the table. An ensign chief engineer. Talk about pressure.

The script was solid. Pacing was great. A number of HF episodes had some real speed bumps in 'em. I saw none in Illiad. The jokes in this were some of the best from Areakt so far.

My quibbles:

Captain T'Lek - T'Lek is a female name. But maybe the good captain underwent gender reassignment at some point in his life. Crosswired CNSs happen in human births, stands to reason the same thing could happen to Vulcans.

The Great Purple One - First episode and Jenn's already dying? Hey, my heart's still on the mend from Cole's untimely demise. Here's hoping it's a long, drawn out illness. Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd ever type.

I could continue to heap on the praise, but I've already made too long a post, and I'm sure others will say anything and everything I'd like to add.

The next Ody ep's coming out tomorrow right? No? How about the day after?

HD

(Edited for spelling)

+Quote Post
Onara_Teyshan
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Walking with the Prophets among the stars

Member No.: 3,350

post Sep 18 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #20
The Trek Gods are smiling. ;D

You have all come a long way and I love you guys for the blood , sweat, and tears that went into this and all that came before. And is it me or did anyone else get a kick at Ro's magical switching Dja'Pagh (Bajoran earring) that switched from ear to ear.

:lol: I finally got my right ear pierced a while ago so I can wear it on that one now.
Yes, it was very Voyager esque but I don't see that as a minus. Space is HUGE...similar sittuations will occur.

Again I am hooked!

~Aaron

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 01:19 AM