IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Closed TopicStart new topic
> EB3 Meeting #5 - Minutes
AndrewF
Producer, Writer, Lead Graphic Artist
Group Icon








Group: Forum Staff
Posts: 1,690
Joined: 14-August 06
Member No.: 2,772



post Sep 19 2007, 06:32 AM
Post #1
EB3 PLANNING MEETING #5 - TUESDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2007 - 7:00PM PDT


HOTEL
Committee members have submitted their choices for "top 5 hotels" to contact for RFPs (Request For Proposal).  Andrew will contact these hotels and secure pricing information based on:
    a) Meeting rooms only
    b) Meeting rooms with block of hotel rooms set aside
    c) Meeting rooms with daily catering requirements
    d) Meeting rooms with hotel rooms and catering
Last year, we went with option "a".  It will be useful to know the price difference.

Rick will contact his niece to see about a special bid for the Marriott.

GROUP DINNER
Once a hotel is selected, we can pick a restaurant for a "group dinner".  Jenn will continue research into available area restaurants.  We will also investigate costs involved with having the dinner at the hotel, providing that the price is reasonable.

Andrew suggested that the group dinner is the final event of the evening, so that people don't have to rush back for any other planned events, except further socialising.

Rick suggested the idea that people "rotate around" at the dinner, giving attendees the opportunity to sit with different people and maximise their social interactions.

Andrew will start a forum topic, asking potential attendees what they would like to get out of the group dinner, how much they would consider reasonable to pay, etc.

OTHER EVENTS
In addition to the planned Acting Contest, it was suggested to hold a contest (or "open mike") to have fans imitate their favourite performers within HF/ODY/HC.

REGISTRATION FORM
We discussed what information should be collected or displayed on a registration form:
    [li]Name, Forum Name, Email Contact, Telephone Contact, Emergency Contact, Allergies, Age check (under 18, 18 or over)[/li]
    [li]Information about hotel, group dinner, pre- and post- events[/li]

If we end up going with a meeting room + hotel rooms option, we'll only have a limited amount of hotel.  Perhaps we should say "Limited amount of hotel rooms available at a special rate" and provide the contact information for them.

FINANCES
Andrew will check into the legality of charging admission, rather than relying on huge personal donations.  The legal "expert" will recommend the proper terminology.  Jenn pointed out that all conventions (regardless if they are professional or fan/company driven) always charge an entrance fee.  The basis for calculating the fee will be anticipated total room rental costs (based on RFP option chosen) divided by number of anticipated attendees.  Any surplus would be directed to a registered and pre-arranged charity.

The basic philosophy:
"This is your party.  We are just supplying the guests and entertainment, and setting it up for you.  All we ask is that you come, have fun, and help pay the bill!"

Those that cannot attend are still welcome to "donate" to the event.  ("I can't attend EB3, but included is a donation to help support the user conference.")

Attendees will still be responsible for all financial obligations relating to transportation and travel expenses, meals, lodgings.

A PayPal account will be set up exclusively for the purpose of EB3 finances.

Andrew will also make a note in a separate forum topic that we are asking for help in paying for EB3 up-front, in lieu of the anonymous donations method used last year.

NEXT MEETING - TUESDAY 16 OCTOBER 2007, 7PM PDT
Planned agenda and items to prepare for next meeting:
    [li]Evaluate RFPs received[/li]
    [li]Select potential candidate hotels[/li]
    [li]Prepare a draft conference schedule and present to producers for approval[/li]
    [li]Discussion of financial/donation "language" and terminology[/li]



(Edit: Meeting date changed)
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon







Harman Rabb in Starfleet?


Group: Members
Posts: 9,630
Joined: 14-April 05
From: Atlanta, GA
Member No.: 1,480



post Sep 19 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #2
If I may make a suggestion as to a restaurant for dinner, might I suggest you see if "Todai" is still around near Torrance?  Last time I checked, it was a good-to-great all you can eat Japanese (including sushi) for about $18.00.

To quote some friends of mine, it's a major "waddle-off."
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Ari Mistral
Rear Admiral
Group Icon








Group: Members
Posts: 6,243
Joined: 10-August 03
From: The 'burbs of Philadelphia
Member No.: 198



post Sep 21 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #3
Last time I checked, it was a good-to-great all you can eat Japanese (including sushi) for about $18.00.


For future reference...uh, where is this place?! I'd like to find it next time I'm home.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
AndrewF
Producer, Writer, Lead Graphic Artist
Group Icon








Group: Forum Staff
Posts: 1,690
Joined: 14-August 06
Member No.: 2,772



post Sep 21 2007, 05:01 AM
Post #4
It sounds like a nice choice (and yes, it still exists), but it is roughly 10 miles away from our target area.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon







Harman Rabb in Starfleet?


Group: Members
Posts: 9,630
Joined: 14-April 05
From: Atlanta, GA
Member No.: 1,480



post Sep 21 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #5
But it's still worth it.  Believe you me.  I did enough waddle-offs there to know that.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Texan1800
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon








Group: Members
Posts: 160
Joined: 21-September 07
From: Austin, TX
Member No.: 3,670



post Sep 27 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #6
Just a note.

If you have surplus after the convention why not deposit it into an account for the next one. This way you have some seed money for each time. Then if you get more then you need as seed money donate that. This helps to keep you guys from paying out of your own pockets for it. TGRA does this all the time as do other groups to make sure cost are covered. It might even help you later as it grows.

Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
AndrewF
Producer, Writer, Lead Graphic Artist
Group Icon








Group: Forum Staff
Posts: 1,690
Joined: 14-August 06
Member No.: 2,772



post Sep 28 2007, 05:03 AM
Post #7
We would have to check if that qualified as "making a profit", and since we are a not-for-profit group, that would be a no-no.  Any surplus would need to be earmarked for a registered and pre-arranged charity.  Again, we'll check on the legality.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Will
Captain
Group Icon








Group: Members
Posts: 1,713
Joined: 23-January 07
Member No.: 3,112



post Oct 5 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #8
The "Save the Otters" charity?

:P
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
StarfleetOfficer
Ensign
Group Icon








Group: Members
Posts: 34
Joined: 30-September 07
From: Germany
Member No.: 3,712



post Oct 5 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #9
The "Save the Otters" charity?

:P


Ok. I am fairly new here. What is the deal with the otters?
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon







I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...


Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Posts: 4,322
Joined: 12-February 07
From: Maryland/Wash DC area
Member No.: 3,134



post Oct 5 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #10

OK, here is some background, but this thread is Conventions, so I'd refer you to these other threads to learn more about Hidden Frontier's unofficial mascot, Stephen T. Otter.  To talk more about Stephen (or "share the love") hop on over to "Those Pesky Otters" thread and post there.

-- Rick


Stephen's audition for the re-casting of Ro Nevin (it's the last audition of the several)
http://mirrors.hiddenfrontier.com/download...RoAuditions.mov

The Stephen Otter Show (with Bobby Rice and Sparky T. Dolphin)
http://mirrors.hiddenfrontier.com/download.php/OtterShow.mov

The disastrous story of Stephen's fall from grace, dismissal from the finale of HF, and eventual retirement from acting.
http://forums.hiddenfrontier.com/index.php/topic,8204.0.html

Stephen T. Otter's Life AFTER Hidden Frontier (Pesky thread):  http://forums.hiddenfrontier.com/index.php/topic,8995.0.html
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
AlphaJenn
Commander
Group Icon







Yes, that is a real Star Trek slot machine, at the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas, NV! Nope, I didn't win! :(


Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Posts: 1,364
Joined: 6-May 03
From: Los Angeles, CA
Member No.: 66



post Oct 6 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #11
Andrew,

In light that the next EBIII meeting is scheduled for 9 Oct, I will not be in attendance, as there will be a special welcome BBQ/dinner at the Studio to welcome the Intrepid crew that night...

Jenn
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon







I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...


Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Posts: 4,322
Joined: 12-February 07
From: Maryland/Wash DC area
Member No.: 3,134



post Oct 6 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #12

Andrew,

If the date/time needs to be changed I am fairly flexible since it starts 10pm my time.  Up to you and Wendy (and Jenn).

Rick
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Wicked Wonder
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon







maybe, maybe not...


Group: Members
Posts: 99
Joined: 10-December 05
From: Indianapolis, Indiana
Member No.: 2,090



post Oct 7 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #13
I'm with Rick in that it starts at 10 pm. I actually have a different problem in that I get off work at 9 pm on Tuesdays, normally plenty of time to get home and be ready for the meeting, but we've been ferrying my uncle back and forth to work- he works 3rd shift. So I might be any where to right on time to way late Tuesday. Whichever way we go, I'll jump in when I can, and hopefully our taxi service can retire soon!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 02:34 PM