Guests cannot vote 
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post May 7 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #1
Episode 104, "Vile Gods" is now in limited release. It will go into wide release this weekend or early next week.

Post your comments and feedback here!

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Will
Captain
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,112

post May 8 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #2
"Vile Gods" was brilliant. I loved the vision with the Prophets, and I think Brandon is really growing in the part of Ro. When he first saw "Corey" and then realized that it couldn't possibly be Corey, the emotion in his face and voice--he seemed devastated, and that I think really helps to allay the fears that were showing up in the "New Ro Nevin" thread, that Ro III wasn't as emotional or romantic as Bobby Rice's portrayal of Ro.

I also enjoyed the interactions between T'Lorra and Stadi. They're finally able to start working together after Stadi showed a bit of understanding of why T'Lorra was cooperating with Tybiss. One of my favorite scenes was the "you can't suckerpunch a telepath" (my other favorite scene was the vision of the Prophets).

GREAT WORK!!!

+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 3,134

post May 8 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Makeup: In most of the scenes, Brandon's Bajoran nose appliance was matched perfectly. Also, Michelle looked pretty darn good, too, in her Romulan getup.

Lighting: seemed very good to excellent, and fit the scenes so well.

The Prophetic Sequences: Loved the lighting/special effects in these scenes. The characters had an etheral glow to them, and the white-out lighting effects were very cool and seemed just like I would picture them to be... that kind of brilliant washout effect.

The Enigma: What is it they want poor Ro to do... and who is the one who will be lost? And does lost mean dead?

The Kelvans: Something tells me we haven't seen the last of them.

Tybiss: I am assuming the loose analogy of Tybiss to the Cyclops is the linkage to the classic Odyssey. Damn, I was hoping for sheep in this episode. And of Tybiss, what is his fate? One would think that he was half dead already... and with the ship exploding... how could it even be possible that he has survived? Hmmm. Time will tell, I guess.

Acting: Best yet, I think. Ro's emotional responses were, for the most part, wide-ranging and done well. T'lorra was suitably humbled, I think... and I think that although she won't roll over, she has a better understanding of them and will use that to her advantage (as the accomplished leader she is).

Wozniak: Wow, he can act, he can kick ass, and he looked like a movie star! Watch out, Sam, you may just become Odyssey's newest poster boy.

Dr. Vaughan: Oh, he is so complex... I just know there are many, many layers there.

Stadi: Everyone's favorite wise-cracking but tough-as-nails Betazoid.

Corey Aster and the flashbacks: All done well, especially those from mid-to-late Hidden Frontier, which made me smile as I saw them lovingly re-created for the flashback.

The Jolly Roger: Arrr, thar be no doubt that Tybiss is a true scalliwag. Almost as bad as those curr from Helena Chronicles.

Rating: A. I usually give the good ones a B... this deserved an A. Well plotted, good effects, and well acted and directed, I think. Sets Odyssey free into the next episode.

Rick

+Quote Post
SPT
Commodore
Group Icon

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

Member No.: 3,143

post May 8 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #4
I have skipped Ricks post and will read when I have seen the episode(hopefully this weekend!). Great to have it to look forward to.

+Quote Post
Capt._D
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

“Fascinating.”

Member No.: 3,882

post May 8 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #5
What an outstanding episode. The developments were well explained the plot was well develop and we got to see more of what each character is made of… it was great.

I was concerned after seeing the preview with Corey and Ro interacting. I was afraid that we would lose the “far apart but longing for one another” idea, but never fear Rob is here! And it was executed with precession by Director Browne, Mr. McConnell, and Mr. Tepnapa; great work!

The fact that the Prophets are interested in Ro’s destiny and apparently have been watching him for some time is interesting, I cant what to see how that plays out.

Who is going to be “lost” and by “lost” I assume they mean dead.? But stranger things have happened.

I have to give this an A for all it’s greatness. I’m a perfectionist so giving an A is a big thing for me… great work everyone.

+Quote Post
enterprise_1701e
Lieutenant
Group Icon

From: Orbiting the Earth over the University of the Pacific...
Member No.: 1,372

post May 8 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #6
The episode was pretty good in my opinion. Also, it shows more similarities between this Odyssey and Homer's. I would have given it a B+ if I could, due to the T'Lorra and Tybiss angle, and that we still don't know what happened between Morrigu and and the Grand Majan from 1x03.

But, overall good job and keep up the good work.

+Quote Post
Genome
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,066

post May 8 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #7
This was an outstanding episode!!!

Both the acting and direction were superb. In particular I was very impressed by Brandon's performance. I think he's really grown into the role and appears a lot more confident. I also think the story is progressing along really well and it leaves me in anticipation of the next one.

Congrats to all the actors and Odyssey staff on this one. You did an amazing job.

+Quote Post
rick20625
Group Icon

post May 8 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #8
I keep seeing people saying how Brandon is 'growing into the role' and how he is 'getting better'. I think Brandon is a DIFFERENT actor altogether than Bobby Rice (or Arthur/Paris Bosserman before him). And as such, it is really us, the viewers, growing more used to his acting style.

Almost from the first minutes in Episode 2 where we first encounter Brandon as Ro, I think Brandon became Ro Nevin. I felt he captured all the crazy emotions from the end of Episode 1, and took it from there. (Don't get me wrong, I loved what Bobby brought to the character, too). Perhaps it is because he was portraying a confused, conflicted character (Ro) may have given the impression to some that Brandon, the actor, was lacking some confidence? .I think it was some viewers reacting to his portrayal of Ro Nevin, and feeling Ro's lack of confidence, frustration, confusion, as the character faced some very difficult challenges. For that, Brandon should be given props.... he did it so well that viewers felt it.

Mostly, I guess, I am encouraging people not to dislike Brandon because the character of Ro Nevin is stretched to the breaking point by the circumstances in Andromeda.

To me, it seems that Brandon's range of acting styles and talents are already very well developed, and we got to see many different emotions and reactions of Brandon as the character Ro Nevin was put through some difficult challenges in this "Vile Gods" episode. In particular, Ro's confusion and reaction to the Prophets came across so well. I am hoping that some of my fellow viewers on here who have been pining away for Bobby as Ro, or not caring for Brandon because the terrible stresses on board Odyssey have forced some changes in Ro Nevin, will take this chance to see Brandon's strengths in this episode.

If any episode will show you the range of Brandon, I think this one will. And the same can be said for Ro Nevin.

--Rick

+Quote Post
Will
Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,112

post May 8 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #9
Well, I think that the greater range of emotion displayed by Ro in "Vile Gods" provides some continuity with previous incarnations of the character. We're used to seeing romantic-Ro, and now we're able to really feel that "oh, okay, it's the same character, but with more."

+Quote Post
rick20625
Group Icon

post May 8 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #10

Yes, I don't disagree that the HF character was more romantic, had more humor... but that last year and then the ordeal of the fight with the Archein, stranding in Andromeda, and the loss of many of the officers and crew have put Ro into a new place... he's tougher, more stressed, and doesn't know all the answers, I think.

Deep down, the old Ro is there. But this more mature, more practical Ro is what I see being how this man has adapted. I don't know if he should revert to the younger version of himself once this is all over (if it ever is). That's not how life works. That's how TV works, but not life.

So Vile Gods may be a harbinger of how Ro adapts to these new wide-ranging emotional situations. And I still see the humor there in Ro... it's just not as much visible. I think the burdens of command leadership have aged him faster than normal.

This is all just my take on it, of course.

Rick

+Quote Post
CoreyAster
JT Tepnapa, Corey Aster
Group Icon

Member No.: 247

post May 8 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #11
QUOTE (rick20625 @ May 9 2008, 05:26 PM) *
So Vile Gods may be a harbinger of how Ro adapts to these new wide-ranging emotional situations. And I still see the humor there in Ro... it's just not as much visible. I think the burdens of command leadership have aged him faster than normal.

This is all just my take on it, of course.

Rick

May I be so bold to suggest the missing element from Brandon's Ro, is Corey. It's a new actor that is married and head over hills inlove with some guy in another galaxy. But you won't see them together until presumably the end of the series (if they go the ODY route). So some people who like the whole romantic side of Ro don't get to see that and have to hope that the two click and have chemistry.

The great thing about Vile Gods, is that you get to see "Corey", and thus, kind of get to see how might Brandon's Ro react towards Corey when and if they should meet. And it wouldn't be such a shock to see these two actors on screen because audiences who like this aspect of the character will have a taste of their chemistry. And who knows, Maybe there is more to come. I have to give kudos to Adam who lovingly recreated Hidden Frontier moments. I think that further allows to ground Brandon into the character of Ro. Actually congrats all around, from writing to screen, cuz Rob does some really nice things visually there too.

+Quote Post
rick20625
Group Icon

post May 9 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #12

Leave it to 'Corey' to remind us about another of the key things affecting Ro... COREY!

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with Jaytee. One of the key factors of the 'new' Ro is his love, newfound, was ripped apart from him with the stranding in Andromeda.

One of my favorite parts of Vile Gods was seeing the flashback to HF scenes recreated! Although, that kind of just magnified the loss... seeing the fond remembrances, and then fast forwarding to the present, here in Andromeda, and now, with Prophets that look like Corey but obviously aren't.

Poor Ro. About the only thing worse than being in his situation stuck there in Andromeda, alone, being hunted by the Archein and with his little ragtag crew aboard Odyssey ---- would be being stuck aboard Helena, alone, being hunted by the Federation with a strange, somewhat psycho crew.

+Quote Post
dmagiclight
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

open your mind and anything can happen

Member No.: 3,718

post May 9 2008, 05:25 AM
Post #13
QUOTE (CoreyAster @ May 9 2008, 06:58 AM) *
May I be so bold to suggest the missing element from Brandon's Ro, is Corey. It's a new actor that is married and head over hills inlove with some guy in another galaxy. But you won't see them together until presumably the end of the series (if they go the ODY route). So some people who like the whole romantic side of Ro don't get to see that and have to hope that the two click and have chemistry.

The great thing about Vile Gods, is that you get to see "Corey", and thus, kind of get to see how might Brandon's Ro react towards Corey when and if they should meet. And it wouldn't be such a shock to see these two actors on screen because audiences who like this aspect of the character will have a taste of their chemistry. And who knows, Maybe there is more to come. I have to give kudos to Adam who lovingly recreated Hidden Frontier moments. I think that further allows to ground Brandon into the character of Ro. Actually congrats all around, from writing to screen, cuz Rob does some really nice things visually there too.

i also agree with jaytee i have liked brandon from the start the only thing i thought was missing was to see him and corey together to see the chemistery between them would be i have not seen vile gods as of yet but reading this i cant wait yipee.gif

+Quote Post
CoreyAster
JT Tepnapa, Corey Aster
Group Icon

Member No.: 247

post May 9 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #14
QUOTE (dmagiclight @ May 10 2008, 12:25 AM) *
i also agree with jaytee i have liked brandon from the start the only thing i thought was missing was to see him and corey together to see the chemistery between them would be i have not seen vile gods as of yet but reading this i cant wait yipee.gif

Well don't get your hopes up too much icon_smile.gif Definitely a B Plot, and if you are following the spoilers. It's not exactly Corey. But it was fun to be there nevertheless.

+Quote Post
dmagiclight
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post May 10 2008, 01:01 PM
Post #15
ok i will wait to see it i have heard talk of some one being lost? i guess it,s something he,s told by the Prophets i just hope it,s not who i think it would be

+Quote Post
ST_Edison
Lieutenant
Group Icon

tuned to 440 Hz

Member No.: 3,006

post May 11 2008, 05:04 AM
Post #16
Wow! Thank you for this terrific episode! Kudos to everyone involved, this one was a good improvement after 103 and brings the story forward so nicely!

Acting - this one was a true "ensemble" performance. Everyone seemed to have not only found his/her place, but even the briefest performances (e.g. Heather, Sam) were a joy to watch. I also liked the chemistry between Stadi and T'Lorra again. And we got so see Dr. Vaughan again! "Bloody hell"! Brandon's Ro is improving and developing in a pleasant way, and the "lack" of Corey is finally compensated, somehow. Good to see Corey again, anyway! I also hope we get to see more of "president" Melantko in upcoming episodes, and the Tybiss character just got what I whished for him from the first minute I saw him. BTW, he's not really dead, is he?

Direction - Someone said recently that Adam did the flashbacks so lovingly, and that's absolutely right. Everything down to the props looked very carefully sorted out and looked through. Good pacing, it had heart and soul. Well done!

CGI - Much better than in 103, but it might just be me, because every time one of the very big Archein ships shows up it suddenly gets stunningly cinematic, IMO. And THIS Archein ship was just terrific!

Story/Script - I loved the way the Prophets are brought back in again (which was also good cam+lighting work BTW). Those scenes and the flashbacks were one of the finest moments. It absolutely worked without the Morrigu/Seram/Caecus arc, though I hope we'll get to see more of them soon, too.

Music - I like Daniel's almost creepy approach on the scenework. Since Ody's music is generally more "epic" than HC's and came across very B5'ish from the first episode, I also like the spirit of continuity, even with the different styles of the composers, which still seem to have a nice thematical "core" turning out to give Ody an already unique and recognizable character.

OK, that shall be enough praise for the moment. I couldn't wait to see it and I'm everything but dissappointed! It's difficult for me to attend the Wednesday chats regularly, because in my timezone it's in the middle of the night, so I had to watch it immediately as soon as it got up on the man site.

Well done, everyone! IMO 104 is the best one so far.

+Quote Post
miles375
Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,340

post May 11 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #17
That was a great episode.

I loved the dynamic going on between T'Lorra and Tibus, the way the two actors bounced off each other was brilliant.
I also loved the prophet scene, when I saw the trailer, I must admit I thought another vision scene, but the scene with the prophets was great and it felt right as well, alot like the DS9 scenes with the prophets.

I am looking forward to the final episode of this season and honestly hope it leaves us on a cliff hanger. icon_eek.gif

Keep up the brilliant work.

+Quote Post
Captain Serek
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Captain of the USS Intrepid II - NCC-1738

Member No.: 1,984

post May 12 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #18
I enjoyed the episode. It had lots of good drama as well as a little sexuality to keep everyone on their toes. Acting, special effects and script were all very enjoyable.

+Quote Post
dmagiclight
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post May 12 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #19
well i had some trouble downloading it as did alot of others but it was well worth it the chemistery between the actors is so amazing it was like watching a prime time show,i was thrilled to see corey with ro again,brandons actinf is outstanding!!! ahr stadi i love her and the doctor is as always great. and heather is great i loved thr fight scenes anyway as always rob and beau and evryone who makes this show possiable i love you all!!!
keep it up you are the amazing!!!!

+Quote Post
Tleisha
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,033

post May 12 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #20
You guys just can't stop throwing diamonds at us can you?!
I reviewed it at my blog- If anyone wants to read: http://randomgeekdom.blogspot.com/
I'm hopefully going to try and review the rest of odyssey too eventually.
I am so happy with Brandon- and i never expected to ever get over loosing our last Ro!
Brandon has a maturity that shows through onscreen, it brings a certain chemistry to the group.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 02:12 AM