IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Operation Beta Shield Official Review Thread, Rate the movie - SPOILERS!
Rate it
How Would you rate Operation Beta Shield?
A [ 62 ] ** [62.00%]
B [ 27 ] ** [27.00%]
C [ 6 ] ** [6.00%]
D [ 5 ] ** [5.00%]
F - Stinker! [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 100
Guests cannot vote 
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Oct 1 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #1
With Operation Beta Shield in limited release, this review thread is for questions, comments, and reviews!

SPOILER WARNING!

Enjoy!

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,038

post Oct 1 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #2
Once again, another knockout presentation!

I was just absolutely impressed.

Risha and Nick were doing their normal impressive jobs in their roles.

But I think the MVP of this was Karl Puder as Korg. Definitely a side to him I wouldn't have expected to see!!!

Also to be commended are Jim Davis and Joni Bovill-more screentime equals more time to show how incredible they are.

The plot was excellent, effects, music (worth the wait!) all were spot on!

I am just so excited. I have been waiting since whatever the original release date going to be. And just jonesing every time that it was pushed back! icon_smile.gif

I also have to throw my bias in tonight for a special someone, my "big sis" Becky. ALWAYS on fire, totally EN FUEGO tonite. Vindenpawl has slowly been gaining popularity over Betras. Now tonight I think that rightly so, Vindy is now ON TOP! icon_smile.gif

Once again, an excellent job-now I'm looking forward to Federation One! (I already was now, it's like now magnified 10000000x :-D)

EDITED because I can't remember to put verbs in to some sentences!

This post has been edited by TheUSSRowling: Oct 2 2008, 04:49 AM

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,357

post Oct 1 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #3
Well, after viewing Star Trek: Operation Beta Shield, I just want to say "YEAHHHHHH!!!!!"

Once again, Beccy Wood does an excellent job as President Vindenpawl, with her scary quiet voice. But would I vote for Vindenpawl? Not if I have a choice!! I have a thing against scary leaders! We've had enough of them on this planet lately!

Karl Puder also steals the show as General Korg, as he walks a tight line between duty and honor, which have become two seperate things for him, as he desperately tries to maintain the peace. And there are consequences.

Korg's mention of the Enterprise did bring up a small issue for me. Given that Intrepid will be having him appear soon, why not have their guest actor put in a guest appearance here as Captain Picard? It wouldn't even have to be a big deal, just a cameo, like Kira Nerys in HF-601, "Countermeasures." That, and not really being able to tell where the Enterprise was in the fleet (though I assume it was one of the Sovereign class ships hanging close to the Excelsior), are my only gripes with an otherwise amazing story.

Risha and Nick deliver excellent performances, as usual, still with their humorous chemistry with regards to their characters' friendships and friendly insults (and maybe it's just me, but I think Hunter isn't too happy that Shelby's involved in a long-distance relationship with Captain Mackenzie Calhoun (if we ever see him again.).).

Rick Corbett delivered a surprising performance as Benjamin Nostrom in his 2nd appearance on HF, as he frantically tries to find a way to help Robin Lefler, by stopping her from what she's planning to do on the Helena (which we're stuck waiting for another 2 months for!). Since his appearance on Orphans of War was fairly brief, I didn't have much of a chance to gauge his performance as an actor. I can here, and he's good!

Julia Morizawa takes a break from Lt. Stadi on Star Trek: Odyssey to resume her first role as Lt. Cmdr. S'Tal, and Tyler Bosserman makes a welcome return as Andy Barrett, and John Whiting is finally back as the wily irascible Dr. Henglaar! Yay!!

Wayne Webb also makes an outstanding character in this movie, though IMHO, ever since "Vigil", McCabe has become an angry man with no sign of ever cheering up. Of course, being stuck with Vindenpawl would be enough to ruin anyone's milllennium! icon_lol.gif

Recognizing elements that were filmed on my 1-day visit to the studio during EB3 added some additional fun to my inaugural viewing of the movie. It'll be most interesting to see how "Unity" adds to this story.

Two little flaws I noticed though -
1) During the party scene, you can see an extra behind Henglaar jump back to the beginning of her background performance.
2) My brief appearance was largely hidden! cry.gif icon_lol.gif

That being said, it's good to finally see Federation One!! Gives me a little idea . . . eusa_shhh.gif eusa_shhh.gif eusa_shhh.gif

This post has been edited by TheWriter: Oct 2 2008, 12:02 PM

+Quote Post
SPT
Commodore
Group Icon

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

Member No.: 3,143

post Oct 2 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #4
Waiting for full release with bated breath! icon_eek.gif

+Quote Post
sabarwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Capt. Bruce J. Space, U.S.S. Eagle Star

Member No.: 702

post Oct 2 2008, 06:06 AM
Post #5
Time to put in my two cents. And yes, I am a little biased because I was in this one, but only for one short scene. icon_smile.gif

Again, as with Orphans of War, I love the interaction between Shelby and Hunter. Those two were made to quibble, but we all know that the best of friends will quibble and frequently over the stuff that has no bearing on the situation. When all is said and done, Hunter and Shelby make a good team.

The story's tension was laced with short and sweet jokes which is a very good way to break up the action, and a welcomed breather for something that clearly is very intense. This may be my imagination, but Shelby seemed to have gone back to more of the person she was when we were first introduced to her in Next Generation. Kick-ass and no nonsense. Watching OBS and comparing it to HF season seven, there is a major difference. Like I said, this may be my imagination, or it may have just been the marriage between Brian's writing, Jenn's directing, and Risha's acting. It makes me a little sad to see the Excelsior crew so broken up and scattered, but it is very clear that hope is still there, especially from the last scenes on the Excelsior. Very Star Trek in that notion.

I give a lot of props to our trio of top-notch performers, Risha, Nick, and Karl. I would be negligent, however, to also give a lot of props to the supporting cast. Wayne is really going to shine, I think, in Federation One. Hopefully, we'll get to see what happens with Nostrom and Lefler. Rick did a good job of bringing out that angst a fiancee feels when separated. Big Kudos to Becky who really stole the show in the end. Or was that planned? Either way, woot!

Technical faults? If they were there, I really didn't catch them, but I think I was watching more for the story than the technical side of the show. The new backgrounds for the Excelsior look great, as well as for Federation One.

All in all, I enjoyed being a part of this experience. Even if just for a few seconds of screen time. It was a pleasure. My thanks to Rob, Jenn, and the rest for having us and letting us play a little bit in their sandbox and giving us a great big present in return. You guys are awesome! icon_mrgreen.gif

+Quote Post
DrVorzok
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,628

post Oct 2 2008, 06:57 AM
Post #6
Great job by everyone!

Korg really brought out more of his character than I think has been seen before on any of the HF Productions or in ST: Section 31. And now Capt. Picard gets to deal with him. Maybe Worf has some advice for him about discommendation. (On Starbase 395, states he's transferring over to the Enterprise)

Shelby and Hunter gave great performances, and their banter back and forth through the show had a depth that you only have in a close, long friendship. More so than we saw in Orphans of War.

Vindenpawl was her great, evil self. Just like we saw from the characters initial appearance. And Becky does a great job making each character she does (which is many!) unique and plays each one very well.

Loved seeing S'Tal, Barrett and Henglaar back! And as much as I like Julie's Stadi and John's Morrigu, S'Tal and Henglaar are my favorites from them! Glad to see them again!

McCabe's character definitely has issue's! They've built for awhile, and I think using those issue's while dealing with Vindenpawl will make for some great tension in Federation One.

Nostrum's angst with Lefler's disappearance offered the character some great opportunities for Rick to really do some acting, and he played it very well. Look forward to seeing Rick in the future.

Jim Davis returns to the HF fold again as the Federation President. Very good job and had me looking forward to him being in Federation One. But with events happening as they did, we now get to look forward to Becky playing the President.

The opticals and CGI looks very good, improving in every installment and kudos to Rob and the team for doing such a great job!

And Jennifer Cole. Thank you for doing a very good job of Direction. Rob Caves and Brian S. Matthews for the great writing and music from David Buekes and Andrew Ceperley.

Joni Bovill and Carol Soldo also gave very good performances and I do not want to leave them out. From them, I loved Joni's look when talking about the Tribbles and Carol sounds like she's got her hands full with the Romulan/Archein matter and then Helena's disappearance. Looking forward to more of her performances in Helena!

What else can I say, but GREAT JOB EVERYONE! I can't name everyone involved, but with everyones help who took part, HF Productions put out another great episode that only means that all the others from now on will have to live up to this one's production value and writing!

+Quote Post
jgallaway81
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,091

post Oct 2 2008, 07:40 AM
Post #7
I don't know the actors and the parts they play as well as others (as well as I perhaps should?) but you don't need to in order to enjoy this installment in the Hidden Frontier series.

The opening teaser: just enough star trek to hold your attention and enough mystery to bring you back after the title runs. A perfect match, not giving too much of the storyline at all, but enough to make you say "What IS going on?

And, Rob and crew managed to pull of a very special accomplishment, one only done before with Star Trek: First Contact. That is the ability to watch this and enjoy it, even if you aren't into the series. It doesn't draw TOO heavily from HF, ODY, or HC that its impossible to follow, but what it does draw is explained fairly well enough that someone watching OBS, having never seen Admiral Knapp, will still get the jist of the movie.

My only caveat is the heavy reliance on Section 31 as a plot line, something someone whould have to be a DS9 fan to know and understand about. But, its not so heavy as to make it too important to understand either.

Overall, I have to give this a 9.9999 out of Transwarp. Cast did a superb job in acting and crew did an even more impressive job of special effects and scoring.

One thing I REALLY like, is the name of the movie, without using it in the movie (at least, not that I caught) even though its obvious whats being referenced, once you've seen it.

If you didn't see Operation Beta Shield with last night's premier, then you missed out on the fun, and will have to wait several long, painful days till OBS goes into wide release in order to view this absolutely astonishing installment in the HIdden Frontier saga.

+Quote Post
Lindley
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 34

post Oct 2 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #8
I completely forgot about the chat....whoops.

Any estimates on wide release?

+Quote Post
DrVorzok
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,628

post Oct 2 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #9
QUOTE (Lindley @ Oct 2 2008, 08:07 PM) *

Rob or one of the Moderators would have the answer, but I believe it was said Wide Release would be around the 5th of the month or so.

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Oct 2 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #10
QUOTE (Lindley @ Oct 2 2008, 05:07 PM) *

Wide release will likely be sometime this weekend and will also be announced via the newsletter.

If you're not signed up for the newsletter and would like to be, please go here : SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTER

+Quote Post
MarkP
HMD Producer/Staff Writer/Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,112

post Oct 2 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #11
Operation Beta Shield gets an "A" from me, no reservations, no caveats.

It feels really good to see the crew of Excelsior again. Captain Shelby, Andrew Barrett, S'Tal, Henglaar, Matt McCabe (and Risha, Tyler, Julia, John, and Wayne)...they are like old friends who've been away too long.

I haven't had the opportunity yet, here or elsewhere, to talk about how much I like Starship Star Trek: Intrepid, but Nick Cook is wonderful here, and the crossover concept is terrific. It really enriches both series, by firmly establishing in our minds that they are taking place in the same universe.

As my predecessors have said, Korg's travails practically steal the show, and shine a whole new light on the character. The same is true, to a lesser extent, with Proconsul Yeshva. Watching her struggle between her hopes for a real alliance with the Federation, and her fear of "the devil you know" imposing a "soft" occupation on her people, made the character much more sympathetic. Likewise, watching Intrepid's intriguing S'Ceris interact with his fellow Romulans deepened the mystery of this character.

The saintly Se'Fron is quite a switch from Siroc; kudos to Jim Davis for playing both parts so deftly. And, of course, Vindenpawl, the President you love to hate. Rebecca commands every scene she's in. I was interested to learn that Caed was a joined Trill; if that had been stated before, I missed it.

And welcome to newcomer Benjamin Nostrum (and Rick), who somehow landed our Robin while we weren't looking....*sigh*...he fits right in with Excelsior's crew and Rick gave a strong performance.

"A Jennifer Cole Film" indeed. You earned it, girl. I love Rob's story, and Brian, as usual, writes clever yet natural dialogue leavened with just the right touch of humor. After "Orphans of War," I was beginning to feel sorry for Daniel Hunter, because the banter between him and Elizabeth was starting to feel nasty, but here Brian gives us just a little peek at the genuine affection between the two of them. Okay, my mancrush is now complete.

I don't usually comment on the technical stuff, because I don't understand it well enough to say anything meaningful, but this time, I have to say, I saw a scene with Henglaar, and his beard hairs were extending out past the side of his face, and I could see individual hairs and the wall behind him in between the hairs, and not the slightest trace of FX artifacts. If you had told me it was shot on a real set, I'd have believed you.

Nits? A couple. I agree that Matt is wrapped a little too tight. He got this way when Andrew was kidnapped, but never seems to have gotten over it. Don't take your work home, dude.

I have to confess that I was a teeny bit disappointed to see an armada of starships that large assembled so early in the story, and yet no battle? The largest vessel to fire a weapon in the whole 67 minutes was a runabout. Does this make me a shallow person?

On second thought, don't answer that.

(UPDATE: Edited to correct stupidity.)

This post has been edited by MarkP: Oct 27 2008, 01:38 PM

+Quote Post
Sausage Roll
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,248

post Oct 2 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #12
Having watched it earlier this morning, then again at work on my iPhone, I saw things that I didn't notice before.

All in all it was an excellent production, full of wonderful performances.

Lots of intrigue, which I hope we see and hear more of in future. I get the sneaky suspicion that Vindenpawl knows far more that she is letting on.

I loved the new Excelsior, even the bridge module 'set'. I'd love to see more of that. I do agree that there wasn't much done with all the ships.

10 out of 10.

And that was without my performance as Captain Hauer. I'd love to play him again.

This post has been edited by Sausage Roll: Oct 2 2008, 01:39 PM

+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon

Harman Rabb in Starfleet?

Member No.: 1,480

post Oct 2 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #13
I'm watching it now, but I've seen one major plot error, which I put in "spoiler mode"

Spoiler (highlight to view):
Romulus is NOT in the Beta Quadrant, it's in the Alpha Quadrant. This has been canon since the beginning.

Otherwise, to quote a Vulcan of our acquaintance, "Intriguing"

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17

post Oct 2 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #14
QUOTE (sffilk @ Oct 2 2008, 04:09 PM) *
I'm watching it now, but I've seen one major plot error, which I put in "spoiler mode"

Spoiler (highlight to view):
Romulus is NOT in the Beta Quadrant, it's in the Alpha Quadrant. This has been canon since the beginning.

Otherwise, to quote a Vulcan of our acquaintance, "Intriguing"

Sorry, Sffilk - but that's not correct: Romulus is in the Beta Quadrant. Also, the operation refers to several parts of Romulan space, which spans portions of both the Alpha AND Beta Quadrant.

-Jonathan

+Quote Post
sabarwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Capt. Bruce J. Space, U.S.S. Eagle Star

Member No.: 702

post Oct 2 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #15
Just as a quick aside, I updated the timeline I put together with "Operation Beta Shield". Here's the link: Star Trek: Timeline (Sabarwolf)

+Quote Post
dcnightwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Life's a banquest and most poor suckers are starvin' to death!

Member No.: 2,583

post Oct 2 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #16
Like oh my word that rocked....

VINDY YOU BEAUTCH!!!!! I loved it...

Having had my husband sliced and diced and then getting to be in the film too! oh that was great!...

It was a good storyline and I actually kinda liked the section 31 storyline, but I tend to look for that type of story anyway...

Great writing on Capt Hunter basically bitch slapping Shelby at the promotion party...

I have 5 things...

1) The rule of the longest serving memberworld president becoming fed prez. Where did that come from and why this route (believing a vote for vindy wouldn't go her way)

2) I was a little distracted by some actors covering many roles (mainly background people) Most notably the nurse in sickbay was also a security officer and Jonathan playing both helmsman and section 31 spokesperson... Was Dave in this and I realize Beo may not have wanted to be in it as I didn't see any people needing whacked...

3) I was a little ticked at the bribe attempt (as I and capt hunter) saw shelby's promotion to commodore... I am wondering if that won't come back around in a convo between Rand and Shelby...

4) Destruction of the Diplo module... kinda reminded me of B5 in whacking that president... i mean so many redundancies and it still gets taken out... please show soon how they did it...

5) Thank you for killing my husband... it was the height of his evening on set and it allowed me some great footage for future torture (I was in the green room with the camera for most of the day - an hour of footage of him taking a dive)...

very good job gang... and I am looking forward to fed one...

+Quote Post
dcnightwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Life's a banquest and most poor suckers are starvin' to death!

Member No.: 2,583

post Oct 2 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #17
QUOTE (capell @ Oct 2 2008, 07:17 PM) *
Sorry, Sffilk - but that's not correct:....-Jonathan

Cap is right..

please refer to "Star Trek Star Charts" by Pocket Books... pages 55 and 66

+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon

Harman Rabb in Starfleet?

Member No.: 1,480

post Oct 2 2008, 04:02 PM
Post #18
QUOTE (capell @ Oct 2 2008, 07:17 PM) *
Sorry, Sffilk - but that's not correct: Romulus is in the Beta Quadrant. Also, the operation refers to several parts of Romulan space, which spans portions of both the Alpha AND Beta Quadrant.

-Jonathan

This is one time I believe Memory Alpha is incorrect, because what it's saying doesn't jibe with the original series. IIRC

+Quote Post
Beo
Global Moderator / GLBT Mod
Group Icon

Vehementlygay.blospot.com!

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 1,825

post Oct 2 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #19
QUOTE (sffilk @ Oct 2 2008, 04:02 PM) *
This is one time I believe Memory Alpha is incorrect, because what it's saying doesn't jibe with the original series. IIRC

Sorry, but everyone else is correct. Romulus is on the record everywhere as being Beta Quadrant and I cannot find any reference to it being otherwise.

Even if the original series said it was in the Alpha Quadrant (which I haven't found evidence of), from TNG onwards it's been canonized as Beta Quadrant in location, and that is where we are set.

Anyway, back on topic!

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17

post Oct 2 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #20
QUOTE (dcnightwolf @ Oct 2 2008, 04:48 PM) *
2) I was a little distracted by some actors covering many roles (mainly background people) Most notably the nurse in sickbay was also a security officer and Jonathan playing both helmsman and section 31 spokesperson... Was Dave in this and I realize Beo may not have wanted to be in it as I didn't see any people needing whacked...

Well, to be truthful, I wasn't playing the spokesperson. Merely the body for the voiceover.

In hindsight, I probably should've restyled my hair between shooting as the "31" controller and Lt. Capell... icon_razz.gif

But, at least I got to play a good guy again - and I got to be the watch officer, so I'm movin' up in the world! icon_smile.gif

-Jonathan

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 02:52 AM