Total Votes: 59

Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Oct 29 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #1
With Unity in limited release, here is the place to review it!

Wide release will be later this weekend.

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lindley
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

post Oct 29 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #2
I enjoyed it. Ever since reading the book Articles of the Federation I've wanted more storytelling in that vein, and FO certainly seems willing to attempt it.

Some of the backgrounds looked more CG-ish than usual, but I suppose that's to be expected since you seem to be trying to develop "new" backgrounds this time around.

Very little in the way of green-screen problems (just a slight glow around the windows occasionally), but I did see some odd artifacts in the CGI (possibly video compression issues and/or just my player acting up). It was like something would flash across half the screen for a single frame now and then.....

I like most of the new cast, although that scene with the press secretary in the bar seemed.....odd, somehow. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe the place just felt empty. That shirt he was wearing looked an *awful* lot like the upgraded TOS-blues from the Trek XI photos....coincidence?

Barbara Clifford with an accent is going to take some getting used to.

This post has been edited by Lindley: Oct 29 2008, 07:14 PM

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Oct 29 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #3
Absolutely loved it. Wayne and Becky have so much chemistry-it just works.

I loved the story, the CGI (the best to date! Crystal clear and perfect!) and the performances.

I just hope we get to see more of David, Aaron, Jacques and Barbara!

PS: LOVED the opening theme!

**Edited to further glorify the magnificent CGI!

This post has been edited by TheUSSRowling: Oct 30 2008, 04:46 AM

+Quote Post
Theo Gary
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Credo quia absurdum.

Member No.: 3,125

post Oct 29 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #4
Wow.
I was hooked right from the opening scene. This might be my favorite of the HF Productions thus far. Star Trek + Political Intrigue = Epic Win.
I love the verbal jousting between McCabe and Vindenpawl. You couldn't cut tension that thick with a lightsaber. Although I suppose it's not so much jousting as it is McCabe swinging away with a claymore while Vindy jabs at him with a rapier.
And is it my imagination or did the Press Secretary have a thing for our hero? Sadly, the feelings don't seem to go both ways. At least not yet. eusa_shhh.gif
I was a tad underwhelmed by the opening music though. Don't get me wrong. It was very good. It just seemed a bit too happy for such a dark show.
The CGI also didn't seem quite as good as the CGI in Helena and Odyssey. Maybe that was just my imagination though.
I'd go more in-depth, but I'm very tired.
This show is a solid "A" in my books. Well done.

+Quote Post
solak
Karl Puder, Gen. Korg
Group Icon

If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 55

post Oct 29 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #5

I didn't see the CGI as less good. More that in a couple scenes it was somewhat inconsistent in contrast and detail, so that things didn't always seem to belong together.

The story, I liked. :-) Well done in keeping up interest and revealing details as the story proceeds.

+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Member No.: 3,134

post Oct 29 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #6
Taking off any professional relation hat I have with Rob. Now just me, Rick, the fan.

I think this was absolutely the best we've seen yet from Hidden Frontier Productions. Everything came together in this one. The characters with layers and layers and layers. A political intrique storyline. New ships and locations. Tie-ins with old friends. And new ones... but are they friends?

Truth be told, we are seeing what really lies behind the bland face of government and spokesmodels we see every day telling us all is well. All isn't well, and these are the people who know it... and are working hard to fix it... or maybe not.

Favorite CGI was the scene of the shuttle returning to Federation One landing bay. Just looked cool.
Second favorite shot was Waybe awakening from his... sleep. Shameless.

Best character interaction scene... the triple interplay of the scene where McCabe bursts in to tell Vinderpawl that a press conference is being held, and all realize they now have a common purpose (but for different reasons).

The music was beautiful, and the theme lilting... but less fanfare-ish than we've come to expect. Maybe that is good. Still too new. But definitely quality.

Becky was a deliciously demure and delicate flower... hiding a vicious pit bull (no lipstick). Her character and mannerisms and just odd enough accent made her alien and exotic. And very very powerful. I think she also brought an underlying sexual tension to the role, too. Intentional or not, I feel it is there... and it enhances her scenes with the male leads around her--- and it is clear she is in total control of them.

Wayne, well, we all knew he could act, and other than a few overdone scowls, the guy really did an excellent job throughout this long episode. A great chance to showcase his acting talents, emotional range, and beard growing skills. (Note to HFP: put someone on Wayne Beard Continuity duty in the future.)

I think a big surprise was the full-on acting talents of Heather Ashleigh as Onshul. Holy cow. She's done well in the past as Silan and Laws... but Onshul was strong, and driven, and a little vulnerable at times. I am glad we got to see more of Heather's acting. And that big hair.

Joni Bovill reprised her role of Romulan leader again... and gives us some insight in what it might be like to be a top ruler... and made to do the bidding of someone you can barely tolerate... but need. I like her role there.

Andrew was understated and very good playing a shadowy character... and he pulled it off really well.

Kaart is gonna be trouble. I like how he is portrayed. He's going to be the one to watch, I can tell. But don't turn your back.

And Barbara Clifford is back. Well shut mah mouth and stick a mint julep in mah hand, shugah. It takes guts to play that character over the top like that... but I really believe Barbara is gonna do just that. It's like Leonard McCoy's twin sister come to life. Should be fun.

Aaron played an affable and somewhat clueless press secretary. I can see he is in for a ride with this job. I wonder if he even has a clue. Gonna be fun to watch.

Dave O'Neill played an intersting Vulcan role. Not sure how he fits into all this mystery and intrigue. But he is definitely someone I want to learn more about. And where Vulcans get their hair done.

And finally... the press corps. A motley crew as ever was assembled. But they can act, and they looked exotic, and they looked bewildered enough to swallow the governmental statements. It was fun to see them, and they really did a good job conveying the changing dynamic of the scene.

Jenn and production crew... kudos. It was great. Flowed nicely, had a balance of tension and almost comic relief that worked well for me.

So, I loved it, gave it an A cuz that was all there was. And I want more. Now.

Thanks to everyone involved. This was great.

+Quote Post
Neempers
Ensign
Group Icon

Group: Forum Staff
Member No.: 4,252

post Oct 29 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #7
Good job! Loved the episode. The CGI was really clear and crisp-looking. Music cues were good. Acting was good. I especially liked the scenes between the President and the Romulan Leader. Both strong and powerful females! Yay!

My only critique would be the eyebrow makeup for the Romulan fellow. Otherwise he was really good. It was nice to see a non-military Romulan!

Janice

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,357

post Oct 29 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #8
Star Trek: Federation One - 101 - "Unity"

"So this is what you meant by 'unity.'"

Joni Bovill has consistently impressed me with her skills as Praetor Yeshva, and she did not fail to deliver a strong performance this time, blackmailed by Vindenpawl!

Vindenpawl, she's something else - I like her attitude of wanting to be in the thick of things, instead of in some cushy office back on Earth, knowing only what reports tell her. I hate to admit it, but I have to respect her for that. But that doesn't change my impression that she could be Palpatine's daughter, if the two series were compatible! :wink: But Beccy also delivers a stellar performance as Vindenpawl, as usual! icon_smile.gif

Wayne continues his great love-hate (or should that be hate-hate?) relationship with Vindenpawl, and I love his performance, though I'm surprised that he seems to have been in a bad mood ever since Barrett's abduction in "Vigil". What's he still angry about?

And Heather Ashleigh breaks in Mara Onshul with a great odd-couple moment with McCabe as he's watching (what? Football? Hockey?). However, despite McCabe's mistrust of Vrijheids, Onshul and he also have a good onscreen chemistry together. I look forward to seeing more of it.

We didn't get to learn much about Magowan or Selek in this episode, so I guess that's somewhat up in the air at this time. Goody! I have some room to play! icon_lol.gif

The theme song struck me as rather different from most Trek themes, but with the classic Trek trill (not Dax or Dao) at the end, it's definitely a good theme! I'm eager to get an MP3 of it!

My only gripe is the press corps scene - Wendy's almost completely blocking me!!!! cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

All in all though, I rated this one with an 'A', though the opening had me screaming "WTF?!" icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

If my math's right, we've got another month to the release of ODY-105 . . . unless someone wants it out sooner? icon_mrgreen.gif

+Quote Post
jgallaway81
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,091

post Oct 30 2008, 04:51 AM
Post #9
I gave this production an "A", thought he acting, music cues, CGI and writing deserved a triple "A+".

The scene between McCabe and the Press Secretary in the lounge did seem kind of... forced, for lack of a better word. Though, as was pointed out above, it might be a result of some underlying emotions form the characters. This definitely adds yet another layer of interest to a series already loaded with mystery and intrigue.

My only problem with this movie is the timing of the release... at least the domestic US release anyways. This problem IS NOT Rob & Co's fault, and it unfair to hold it against them. None the less, I am SO SICK of politics, I nearly considered not watching this until after the recounts are done sometime in January.

I'm definintely glad I did partake of the show last night. The intrigue and mystery definitely draw the viewer into the series. My sole true complaint is that the following episodes will be audio stories instead of feature episodes.

I'm looking forward to the Federation One series... much more than I am looking forward to another few days of election garbage. Thank god its almost over! (the US pres. election, not Fed one, lol)

Thanks to all who brought us this, the latest wonderful installment in the Hidden Frontier universe.

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Oct 30 2008, 04:52 AM
Post #10
QUOTE (rick20625 @ Oct 29 2008, 10:57 PM) *
And Barbara Clifford is back. Well shut mah mouth and stick a mint julep in mah hand, shugah. It takes guts to play that character over the top like that... but I really believe Barbara is gonna do just that. It's like Leonard McCoy's twin sister come to life. Should be fun.

Funny...when I rewatched it last night while converting it for my iPod, she reminded me of Mrs. Peggy Hill! :-D

+Quote Post
Lindley
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 34

post Oct 30 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #11
So what's the deal with this audio stuff? I wouldn't mind some audio installments of Fed One, but it's not going to take over the series *completely*, is it?

+Quote Post
enterprise_1701e
Lieutenant
Group Icon

From: Orbiting the Earth over the University of the Pacific...
Member No.: 1,372

post Oct 30 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #12
Federation One is by far, one of the best productions to have been made by you guys.
The intro music reminded me of something that was official, mixed in with the classic Star Trek style.

It's nice to see McCabe in a role with the storyline focusing him as the main character, as he was one of my favorites during Hidden Frontier.

I gave the episode a total score, on a scale of 1-100, a 98.6. I took a few points off for some minor problems, and it also shows room for improvement, which you guys just seem to keep doing, and for the fact that Federation One will only have select episodes in video format.

Also, it inspired me to pursue storylines down another vein of the Trek universe that hasn't been largely explored.

Keep it up guys!

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

Member No.: 1,536

post Oct 31 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #13
So McCabe and I have something in common... we both dream about Vindenpawl..... icon_wink.gif

Loved, loved, LOVED the plans-within-plans intrigue. This episode was a mature one - it made you really think several times.

Vindenpawl's parting shot to McCabe was great - actually, I enjoyed the amount of times they had hits at each other. It was well conceived and well done.

McCabe seemed a little looser than in OBS, but only a little. Showing him obsessed with his job via the nightmare sequence was great, although it made me think that the guy really needs help. I mean, really.

CGI was great, acting streamless, and very little green screen flooding.

Overall, great to watch.

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,357

post Oct 31 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #14
QUOTE (jgallaway81 @ Oct 30 2008, 01:51 PM) *
My only problem with this movie is the timing of the release... at least the domestic US release anyways. This problem IS NOT Rob & Co's fault, and it unfair to hold it against them. None the less, I am SO SICK of politics, I nearly considered not watching this until after the recounts are done sometime in January.

I'm looking forward to the Federation One series... much more than I am looking forward to another few days of election garbage. Thank god its almost over! (the US pres. election, not Fed one, lol)

I agree with jgallaway on this. Is there ANYONE in this country who's NOT sick of politics? :-) I've never seen an election with such weak candidates on both sides! I'm SO looking forward to it being over! (The mudslinging is what really gets on my nerves)

+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Member No.: 3,134

post Oct 31 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #15
I kind of like the fact that Hidden Frontier shows reflect some of our current social concerns. Vindenpawl's initial appearance, in Hidden Frontier's "Security Counsel" was a direct reflection on the erosion of liberties and use of fear and terrorism to achieve political ends (and not the ends you might expect). It is far enough removed that it isn't too much a rehash of the daily news, but yet, it spoke directly to things going on in the US and elsewhere in the world as politicians used the public's fear to initiate programs and policies that normally would never have been accepted. And, the show was good science fiction, too.

That's how I view Operation Beta Shield and Federation One. A cautionary tale woven into our HF universe and story line, that entertains and also makes us think about our own lives and social conditions. I like stories like that, that make me think. (And yeah, I also like things that blow up).

+Quote Post
dmagiclight
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

open your mind and anything can happen

Member No.: 3,718

post Oct 31 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #16
i thought the acting was wonderful,and chemistery between the actors was off the chain,and the story line was great and kept me guessing

+Quote Post
Capt._D
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

“Fascinating.”

Member No.: 3,882

post Nov 1 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #17
I almost had a heart attack in the first scene until I saw Vindenpawl on the enemy ship… good “gotcha” moment.

The press secretary reminds me of that hypochondriac on the Voyager episode “Good Sheppard”.

I have a feeling the Chief of Staff is the one pulling all the strings and is the real villain in all of this, and I cant wait until Vindenpawl takes him down a notch.

McCabe is one angry person, always scowling. I don’t know but that seemed a little over done.

I gave it a B because I very rarely give A’s. In any case it was a great episode. Way to go for everyone involved it was fantastic!

+Quote Post
loganrogue24
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,710

post Nov 2 2008, 01:43 AM
Post #18
i liked it keep up the great work guys.

+Quote Post
CaptMurdock
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,338

post Nov 2 2008, 02:34 PM
Post #19
Overall, a very good start to the series. Some comments:

1. Loved when Videnpawl has to slam the press conference down: "I've just bought you two days -- make good use of them!" Did Kaart really go off the reservation, or was this pre-planned (that bit where Vindenpawl says to Kaart re" the discovery of the data core "This is unfortunate." Ruh-roh, Rhaggy.
  2. The bar scene intro'ing the press secretary -- yah, a little forced.
  3. The Hair Continuity guy seems to have taken a day off -- Wayne's crewcut grew out and got curly in one scene and went back to a crewcut in the next.
  4. Barbara Clifford needs to be nominated for the De Kelly Shut Mah Mouth and Kiss Mah Biscuits Award for Deepest Southun' Accent. Just adorable.
  5. Great chemisty between Wayne and Heather, and Wayne and Becky.
  6. Becky -- what can I say? When has Evil looked quite as good? There is a reason the Cult of Vindenpawl has been a major player on the forum the last several years.

A pretty good start. I'm very interested to see where this goes.

+Quote Post
sabarwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Capt. Bruce J. Space, U.S.S. Eagle Star

Member No.: 702

post Nov 2 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #20
Soild work. Nice to see the inner-workings of the Federation Presidency.

The beginning of the episode, like many people, caught me a little off guard, but seeing it as a dream makes total sense. Of the new characters, Ensi is probably my favorite. Yay, Barbara is back!

A fun time. Looking forward to the next installment.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 06:47 PM