IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> USS Angeles, What have they been up to for the past 10 years?
Neempers
Ensign
Group Icon

Group: Forum Staff
Member No.: 4,252

post Nov 20 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #1
A short while back, David O'Neill (did I spell that right?) said that I should write up some info on Commodore Willcocks and the USS Angeles, as backstory, for possible inclusion in a future story/episode of one of the HF productions. The following is what I came up with. I purposefully left out details, in order to leave room for the HF writers to be creative. I also have not spoken to Max about any of this, and I have no idea if he would be interested in participating in HF productions. I also have no idea if any of you would even be interested in pursuing any of these ideas. But for now, that just what they are.... ideas. Do with it what you will. I am merely presenting them.

Janice Willcocks was a member of Red Squad while attending Starfleet Academy. As a Lieutenant, she served under Captain Jennifer Cole aboard the USS Alliance. Later, when she had command of the USS Angeles, Jennifer served as her XO before getting promoted and becoming the commander of Deep Space 12.

During the past 10 years, not much has been heard from the USS Angeles. But they have been busy.

Due to the fact that two saucer sections of the Angeles had been destroyed, Janice’s effectiveness and competence among many Starfleet officials had come into question. Commodore Willcocks then became the choice of Starfleet Covert Ops to work on “black” projects. No one really questioned her whereabouts. She and the Angeles just quietly disappeared.

Their first assignment was a search and rescue operation, when Commodore Willcocks found out that Admiral Max Cervantes was still alive and was being held captive somewhere by former members of the Dominion. They found him and rescued him, by methods not quite adhering to the Prime Directive. Such methods then became standard operating procedure for them, which certain high officials at Starfleet were well aware of. If word ever got out, there would be quite the scandal. Hence their reason for keeping a low profile.

The new non-standard methods of completing their assignments became an asset when dealing with certain societies that did not value the main ideals of The Federation. In many ways, it leveled the playing field with these factions. As a result, the Angeles has “acquired” certain technologies that otherwise would not be allowed on other Federation ships. The Angeles became a prototype for experimenting and testing some of these technologies. A few designs have slowly made their way into acceptance over the years, but the Angeles has many innovations that most Starfleet officers are currently unaware of.

On a personal level, much of this work has caused inner conflict for Janice and her crew. Are we still the good guys? Can we ever go back to how we used to be? Where do you draw the line for ethics?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maquis
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Producer & writter for Star Trek Romulan wars

Group: Members
Member No.: 134

post Nov 25 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #2
QUOTE (Neempers @ Nov 21 2008, 08:29 AM) *
A short while back, David O'Neill (did I spell that right?) said that I should write up some info on Commodore Willcocks and the USS Angeles, as backstory, for possible inclusion in a future story/episode of one of the HF productions. The following is what I came up with. I purposefully left out details, in order to leave room for the HF writers to be creative. I also have not spoken to Max about any of this, and I have no idea if he would be interested in participating in HF productions. I also have no idea if any of you would even be interested in pursuing any of these ideas. But for now, that just what they are.... ideas. Do with it what you will. I am merely presenting them.

Janice Willcocks was a member of Red Squad while attending Starfleet Academy. As a Lieutenant, she served under Captain Jennifer Cole aboard the USS Alliance. Later, when she had command of the USS Angeles, Jennifer served as her XO before getting promoted and becoming the commander of Deep Space 12.

During the past 10 years, not much has been heard from the USS Angeles. But they have been busy.

Due to the fact that two saucer sections of the Angeles had been destroyed, Janice’s effectiveness and competence among many Starfleet officials had come into question. Commodore Willcocks then became the choice of Starfleet Covert Ops to work on “black” projects. No one really questioned her whereabouts. She and the Angeles just quietly disappeared.

Their first assignment was a search and rescue operation, when Commodore Willcocks found out that Admiral Max Cervantes was still alive and was being held captive somewhere by former members of the Dominion. They found him and rescued him, by methods not quite adhering to the Prime Directive. Such methods then became standard operating procedure for them, which certain high officials at Starfleet were well aware of. If word ever got out, there would be quite the scandal. Hence their reason for keeping a low profile.

The new non-standard methods of completing their assignments became an asset when dealing with certain societies that did not value the main ideals of The Federation. In many ways, it leveled the playing field with these factions. As a result, the Angeles has “acquired” certain technologies that otherwise would not be allowed on other Federation ships. The Angeles became a prototype for experimenting and testing some of these technologies. A few designs have slowly made their way into acceptance over the years, but the Angeles has many innovations that most Starfleet officers are currently unaware of.

On a personal level, much of this work has caused inner conflict for Janice and her crew. Are we still the good guys? Can we ever go back to how we used to be? Where do you draw the line for ethics?

Are you if I may ask the real Ms. Willcocks or just a fan of the show?

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Nov 25 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #3
QUOTE (maquis @ Nov 25 2008, 06:27 PM) *

Oh...I'd put money down that it's her. Either that or there's a vast conspiracy going on involving Facebook, these forums and other places on the Internet.

As for the theory on where the Angeles has been hiding...that would explain a lot. I like it. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 17

post Nov 25 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #4
QUOTE (maquis @ Nov 25 2008, 05:27 PM) *

It's her.

-Jonathan

+Quote Post
Neempers
Ensign
Group Icon

post Nov 25 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #5
QUOTE (capell @ Nov 25 2008, 09:15 PM) *
It's her.

-Jonathan

Yes, I am the real Janice Willcocks. Can't imagine that anyone else would want to be me.

Glad you liked the ideas. I was getting worried since there were no replies for a while! This doesn't have to be the story though. It's just what I came up with.

Janice

+Quote Post
maquis
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Producer & writter for Star Trek Romulan wars

Member No.: 134

post Nov 26 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #6
I don't go on face book that's why I didn't know it's the real you,
It would be great to see an Angeles series and I think it right that the show that started it all off should atleast get a mini series

+Quote Post
Neempers
Ensign
Group Icon

post Nov 26 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #7
Capell, your PM got cut off.... or I don't know how to see the entire message. Please re-post in the forum or send me an email at ussangeles@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Janice

+Quote Post
Gul Malek
Gul Malek/EQX Writer
Group Icon

Causing Mischief and Mayhem in HF since 2001

Member No.: 122

post Nov 26 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #8
Hey Janice,

Great to see the background on the Angeles, I know I was working on fleshing out some of the Angelfire's fan fick here on the HF site (Though she is not in SFI anymore, she exists in our imaginations. I just had way to many umpirie assignments to keep involved and the new chapter in Apache Junction, AZ is going "Gangbusters").

It's very "Agreeable" to see you post on the BBS.

+Quote Post
Neempers
Ensign
Group Icon

post Feb 4 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #9
Hey Everyone. I haven't looked at the forums in a while!

I doubt there will be another Angeles series, but perhaps some of her crew or the ship may appear in current HFPs. It's actually already happened with a few characters. Maybe we will see more? Only the writers know!

+Quote Post
Chroniton
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

The darkness brought by the truth.

Member No.: 4,195

post Feb 7 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #10
In one of the earlier seasons, (I've forgotten which one) there is a scene where the Excelsior was docking and there was another Galaxy Class X-Refit in the neigbouring berth. Could that have been the Angeles? Docked for repairs or a refit as the prototype mark 4 testbed beofre the Excelsior?

+Quote Post
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Feb 7 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #11
Yeah, that was supposed to be the Angeles as it leaves dock just after Commodore Cole says she's going to serve on the Angeles when Knapp took over for her on DS12. icon_smile.gif

Rob

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

post Feb 7 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #12
QUOTE (Chroniton @ Feb 7 2009, 07:23 PM) *
In one of the earlier seasons, (I've forgotten which one) there is a scene where the Excelsior was docking and there was another Galaxy Class X-Refit in the neigbouring berth. Could that have been the Angeles? Docked for repairs or a refit as the prototype mark 4 testbed beofre the Excelsior?

Not to be picky (but that's kinda my job as tech consultant...), but Galaxy-X is a fan designate, and invalid in the HF-Verse. The ships in question are Galaxy-Class, Mark III and Mark IV.

For comparison - in the Angeles' STARFLEET (or more formally known as STARFLEET, The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc.) universe, the ship type is known as Entente-Class, named after the first dreadnought named within the Trek universe's then-canon literature.

Best,

Jonathan

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,357

post Feb 8 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #13
QUOTE (Neempers @ Feb 4 2009, 10:57 PM) *
Hey Everyone. I haven't looked at the forums in a while!

I doubt there will be another Angeles series, but perhaps some of her crew or the ship may appear in current HFPs. It's actually already happened with a few characters. Maybe we will see more? Only the writers know!

A new appearance by the Angeles? Sounds good to me, Janice! I'll work on it! icon_lol.gif

+Quote Post
Chrontion
Ensign
Group Icon

Group: New Members
Member No.: 4,150

post Feb 9 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #14
QUOTE (capell @ Feb 8 2009, 05:06 AM) *
Not to be picky (but that's kinda my job as tech consultant...), but Galaxy-X is a fan designate, and invalid in the HF-Verse. The ships in question are Galaxy-Class, Mark III and Mark IV.

For comparison - in the Angeles' STARFLEET (or more formally known as STARFLEET, The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc.) universe, the ship type is known as Entente-Class, named after the first dreadnought named within the Trek universe's then-canon literature.

But why call it somwthing different? use the more common name, like the Helena is a Charleston class ship.

+Quote Post
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Feb 9 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #15
How many times does the creator of the USS CHARLESTON have to say, "It's not Charleston Class" before it sinks in? If you want to be true to the author of the design, then call it what it is, a Wanderer Class. But don't call it what it is definitely not.

I don't know why this is so hard for some. HF got permission to make it a derivative of the Rennaissance Class so that's what we call it. If you don't care for that designation, that's fine. But at least respect the name the author gave it.

Rob

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

post Feb 9 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #16
QUOTE (Chrontion @ Feb 9 2009, 08:55 AM) *
But why call it somwthing different? use the more common name, like the Helena is a Charleston class ship.

'cause that's what it is? The HF-verse does not accept the fan-made designation Galaxy-X, because that's not what the ship is - and it's NEVER been called that officially. For us, it's a Galaxy-Class, Mark III, or Galaxy-III for short. An acceptable variant as used on the show is "Galaxy-Class Dreadnought", though Starfleet's designation would more likely be "Super-Heavy Cruiser".

STARFLEET, International - the organization that the Angeles is a part of - designated her particular configuration as Entente-Class, so that's what it's called in that group. As wrong as I feel that is - it's something that the other organization has chosen and accepted - so I can't really fight that.

As far as the Wanderer-Class USS Charleston - well, the designer called it that, and then granted us permission to depict her as the Renaissance-Class, Mark II, or Renny-II for short.

Hope this clears up any further questions you might have about why we've named them they way we have.

+Quote Post
Whiteknight
Production Coordinator
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,379

post Feb 9 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #17
Dust off the moth balls from the movie Angeles, I'm all for that.
We should get the old crew from the original angeles project back together to do a 10 yr special or something Janice or Rob, while some of us are still around icon_smile.gif
Esp. since some of us are getting back into HF as of late....just a thought.

Jason is coming down in June and I know he would be up for that.

-Chris

Angeles Series - (Cmdr/Capt Chris Esquibel)
HF Season 2 - Great Starship Robbery (aka: The White Knight)

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,357

post Feb 10 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #18
QUOTE (Whiteknight @ Feb 9 2009, 11:38 PM) *
Dust off the moth balls from the movie Angeles, I'm all for that.
We should get the old crew from the original angeles project back together to do a 10 yr special or something Janice or Rob, while some of us are still around icon_smile.gif
Esp. since some of us are getting back into HF as of late....just a thought.

Jason is coming down in June and I know he would be up for that.

Or perhaps a new Angeles project with the current members? I'd make the trip down to LA for that!

+Quote Post
Whiteknight
Production Coordinator
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,379

post Feb 10 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #19
Would be nice to see again one of these days.

QUOTE (TheWriter @ Feb 10 2009, 09:31 PM) *
Or perhaps a new Angeles project with the current members? I'd make the trip down to LA for that!

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

post Feb 11 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #20
QUOTE (Whiteknight @ Feb 10 2009, 11:16 PM) *
Would be nice to see again one of these days.

I'd be down for that - but alas, the decision makers for that sort of thing have pretty much said no thanks. So that means that the Angeles' future adventures lie soley in prose and in our minds. :-(

That is, of course, unless they change their minds, and Rob can find some time to sneak us in for a vignette or two. :-P

-Jonathan

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2014 - 10:41 PM