IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Keepers of the Wind" ODY 105 Official Review Thread (SPOILERS!)
Rate ODY1.05 "Keepers of the Wind"
How would you rate this episode?
A (Excellent) [ 80 ] ** [86.96%]
B (Above Average) [ 9 ] ** [9.78%]
C (Average) [ 3 ] ** [3.26%]
D (Below Average) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
F (Terrible) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 92
Guests cannot vote 
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 3,134

post Nov 26 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #1

SNEAK PEEK PREMIERE

TONIGHT, Wednesday November 26, 2008
Star Trek: Odyssey Episode ODY1.05 "Keepers of the Wind"

Chat Room sneak preview of the premiere of the exciting conclusion to the first season of the Odyssey saga.

Producers, cast, crew and fans will be in the HF Chatroom beginning at approx. 5pm Pacific Time (GMT-8) / 6pm Mountain Time (GMT-7) / 7pm Central Time (GMT-6) / 8pm Eastern Time (GMT-5)

Chatting, questions and answers from Hidden Frontier Productions producers, directors, cast, crew, and loyal fans. Always a fun time and always interesting wide-ranging topics.

Sneak peak release at approximately 7pm Pacific Time (GMT-8) / 8pm Mountain / 9pm Central / 10pm Eastern.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Nov 26 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #2
QUOTE (rick20625 @ Nov 26 2008, 09:15 AM) *
SNEAK PEEK PREMIERE

TONIGHT, Wednesday November 26, 2008
Star Trek: Odyssey Episode ODY1.05 "Keepers of the Wind"

Chat Room sneak preview of the premiere of the exciting conclusion to the first season of the Odyssey saga.

Producers, cast, crew and fans will be in the HF Chatroom beginning at approx. 5pm Pacific Time (GMT-8) / 6pm Mountain Time (GMT-7) / 7pm Central Time (GMT-6) / 8pm Eastern Time (GMT-5)

Chatting, questions and answers from Hidden Frontier Productions producers, directors, cast, crew, and loyal fans. Always a fun time and always interesting wide-ranging topics.

Sneak peak release at approximately 7pm Pacific Time (GMT-8) / 8pm Mountain / 9pm Central / 10pm Eastern.

I may be there late, but I'll be there - I'm heading to the parental homestead in Michigan this evening via tiny little jet plane, but should be able to make it in time. Looking forward to it! yipee.gif

+Quote Post
Beo
Global Moderator / GLBT Mod
Group Icon

Vehementlygay.blospot.com!

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 1,825

post Nov 26 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #3
Looking forward to being in the chat room with everyone tonight!

+Quote Post
notsonoble
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,290

post Nov 26 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #4
Gaahhaah... right in the middle of my work... oh well, I'll sneak in and watch for the link to download and then watch after stuff...

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,357

post Nov 26 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #5
WOW!!!

This was a helluvan ending to Odyssey's first season!!

Sharon Savene once again delivers a chilling performance as the psychotically evil Seram, as her deep dark secret regarding Caecus is revealed: He's her son! Adam Browne delivered a good performance here, though IMHO, he taking it a little too casually - I mean, he's just found out that the woman who's been using him for sex all these years is his own mother! (Maybe it's cuz Caecus is Archein, but he seemed kind of undershocked to me.) I've also got to wonder what the Grand Majan thinks (if she even knows) about what Seram has been doing. (I guess Jenn's short-lived nickname Grandma Jenn isn't entirely inaccurate - Caecus is her grandson! ROTFL! John Whiting again pulls off the cold, calculating General Morrigu who even defies an order from Seram in order to keep the upper hand.

The main cast also delivers another stellar performance - Brandon in his determination to save his crew, and his self-berating in the brig suggested genuine anguish, whereas Julia's Stadi seemed almost to by physically in pain from what she was sensing, bringing out a superior performance. T'Lorra's confrontation scenes with General Morrigu also brilliantly demonstrated the antagonism she had for her captor, though his reference to Romulan prisoners in Andromeda suggests to me a story that MUSt be followed up on! Vaughan once again demonstrates his inqenuity as he works to thwart the Archeins, or should I say, the Helena's invasion of the ship? icon_lol.gif

Also, major kudos to the makeup team for their ingenious re-use of the Cardassian makeup appliances in designing the Alosians! WTG Beo!

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Nov 26 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #6
Congrats to Beo for directing a stunning season finale!

Thus far, of the episodes I have seen as released (pretty much when they were released...), we are 4 for 4 in excellence. VILE GODS was excellent, OBS rocked, FED1 was cool, and now the ODY season finale.

The episode continued the story, and just gave us so many new layers to consider for the second season.

Props to Adam Browne and Sharon Savene for performances that shocked me to the core!

Also, props to the Oedipal storyline of sorts for Seram and Caecus. Just awesome to see more Greek roots in ODYSSEY's storytelling.

2 down and one to go, for season finales in 2008.

Eagerly counting down the days to "Letter of the Law"

Peace!

+Quote Post
MarkP
HMD Producer/Staff Writer/Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,112

post Nov 27 2008, 06:28 AM
Post #7
So here I am on Thanksgiving morning reviewing "Keepers of the Wind."

I give it an "A."

I'm feeling as much relief as anything else. To be frank, although I admired 101 a lot—not only is it a good story on its own terms, but it sets up a rich situation for future stories—I found the next three episodes to be disappointing, 104 most of all. I was beginning to wonder if Odyssey wasn't in a tailspin. (The series, not the ship.) It was hard for me even to start watching 105, because I was afraid of what I might find.

What a relief. For me, this is the first episode that delivers on the promise of "Iliad."

The regular characters all get their moments (except poor Alex), but the standout moment here is the confrontation between Morrigu and T'Lorra. Wow. This scene is powerfully written and performed. Both characters are true to themselves and to the cultures they represent. Both of them display honor and integrity, even virtue, in their own cultural terms. And these are the very reasons they will remain enemies. Awesome. This is what Star Trek is all about.

And Morrigu deftly cuts to the fundamental inconsistency of the Romulan way of life: for all the Romulans espouse honor and duty, their society is riddled with suspicion and betrayal. Quite like the Roman Empire they were modeled after. The Archeins, in contrast, do not hold themselves to so high a standard, but Morrigu, at least, does seem to practice what he preaches.

In the same way, the Alosians are an intriguing and provocative species, neither committed allies nor implacable enemies. Their strange sense of ethics and their interestingly uneasy relationship with the Archeins provides rich potential for future stories. Michael McConnohie brings to life not just Liendo, but the whole species.

And then there's Dr. Vaughan, showing some of that Starfleet initiative and resourcefulness that have seemed in short supply aboard Odyssey lately. He has also only deepened suspicions that he has a background in covert ops. I wonder, though, why he never even threatened to destroy Odyssey. One might think, in a worst case scenario, it would be better to destroy her than allow slipstream technology, not to mention all the data she carries on the Federation, Starfleet capabilities and deployments, and so on, to fall into Archein hands.

And what can I say about the ending? Terrific. The contradictions between Seram's grand ambitions and her madness begin to come to light. I note that Liendo's great fear was that the Archeins would try to cover up what they had done to him and his people, yet Seram broadcasts the news. The fact that she's doing exactly what her enemies want her to do manifests the self-destructive nature of her irrational hatreds.

And T'Lorra using Morrigu's arguments on Caecus? It's a terrific irony, and yet also only reasonable that an argument devised by one Archein would be found persuasive by another Archein. And really, who else can Caecus turn to at this point?

The episode is also rich in small but memorable touches. I would name:

The opening exterior shot of Odyssey and the zoom to the shuttle.

The catty exchange between Maya and T'Lorra on the bridge.

The combination of professionalism and, yes, warmth, in the exchange between T'Lorra and Nevin: "I would advise against it, Captain." "I would, too, in your position."

The exchange of a Romulan proverb for a human one. Diversity rules!

Maya's evasive answer about why she can communicate telepathically with Nevin, but not the others.

Caecus going for the first officer's seat aboard the Odyssey bridge and Seram redirecting him to sit at her feet.

I could go on, but I'm supposed to go cook Thanksgiving dinner now, so I will just say congratulations to everyone who worked on this episode. And thank you.

+Quote Post
Captain Serek
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Captain of the USS Intrepid II - NCC-1738

Member No.: 1,984

post Nov 27 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #8
I had the opportunity to download and watch the season 1 finale of 'Odyssey'. All I can say is WOW! First off, my hats off to Rob, Beo, and cast and crew for a riveting episode with twists and turns.

The parts I enjoyed were the following:

Vaughn's initiative and resourcefulness

The revelation about Caecus

Ro/Stadi in the brig

Morrigu/T'Lorra confrontation

Overall, a great way to end the season. I will look forward to season 2 with baited breath.

+Quote Post
Tenmei
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,583

post Nov 27 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #9
Can't wait for this to come out on general release.

+Quote Post
Wicked Wonder
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

maybe, maybe not...

Member No.: 2,090

post Nov 27 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #10
My goodness! My brain is on overload, totally! What a great way to end the season. Poor Caecus! That eye treatment was beyond gruesome. I loved T'lorra's speech at the end, and the way she played it. I had to admit, though, that I was a touch distracted by Tim Foutch's hair- it looked like a Beatle-like combover and I keep trying to puzzle it out. On other thoughts, I loved the score! Take a bow, everyone, and see you next season!

+Quote Post
Moentran
Commodore
Group Icon

Despite all my rage..

Member No.: 1,536

post Nov 28 2008, 04:29 AM
Post #11
Watching "Keepers of the Wind" has taught me valuable lessons;

1) McCoy was obviously downplaying himself whenever he said, "I'm a doctor, not a [insert noun here]!"

2) Old derelect ships rife with stuff ready for the taking are too good to be true.

3) You can a race that only tells the truth and still get what you want.

4) Who is Seram, Casseus? Your mama!

5) Speaking of which; ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

6) All Archein guards are dumb - they fall for the oldest trick in the book so easily.

7) I won't mention names, but which particular security Betazoid has a crush on a Bajoran commander?

8) Dying in the Andromeda galaxy looks incredibly like sleeping on someone's shoulder.

9) Never, NEVER dock with a space station that takes its cue from Venus fly traps.

10) It's possible to get a weapon from an entirely different galaxy and know how to set it to overload.

+Quote Post
be back 1
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

We be unveiling two new models on or about may 21,2011

Member No.: 3,172

post Nov 28 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #12

Okay,,,,, I did not see that coming ,,,,,, Caecus... wow...Up till now the biggest debate we could muster was the great pirate logo on the ship . Boy, beo you and the group have (I wish I could say it in walsh) BIG can of worms .

wowow .The only thing you missed was sex with the otter and grand ma .

+Quote Post
Historian Dlan
Staff Writer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,410

post Nov 28 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #13
The actors and the director, the score, everybody knocked this one out of the park.

I could list all my favourite moments but I'd basically be doing a synopses of the episode.

My top 4 are:

1) Ro and Stadi in the brig.
2) T'Lorra and Morrigu on Morrigu's ship.
3) Tim Foutch in Gillen's final scene.
4) Liendo...in every scene he's in.

I gave this episode an instant and solid "A".

HD

+Quote Post
Danny
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Name a shrub after me— something prickly and hard to eradicate.

Member No.: 4,044

post Nov 29 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #14
Whens the General relase due?

+Quote Post
MarkP
HMD Producer/Staff Writer/Editor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,112

post Nov 29 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #15
QUOTE (Moentran @ Nov 28 2008, 07:29 AM) *
Watching "Keepers of the Wind" has taught me valuable lessons;

1) McCoy was obviously downplaying himself whenever he said, "I'm a doctor, not a [insert noun here]!"

2) Old derelect ships rife with stuff ready for the taking are too good to be true.

3) You can a race that only tells the truth and still get what you want.

4) Who is Seram, Casseus? Your mama!

5) Speaking of which; ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

6) All Archein guards are dumb - they fall for the oldest trick in the book so easily.

7) I won't mention names, but which particular security Betazoid has a crush on a Bajoran commander?

8) Dying in the Andromeda galaxy looks incredibly like sleeping on someone's shoulder.

9) Never, NEVER dock with a space station that takes its cue from Venus fly traps.

10) It's possible to get a weapon from an entirely different galaxy and know how to set it to overload.

4) I knew that HFP was drawing inspiration from Homer for this series, but now we're getting a little Sophocles, too. Is there any Aristophanes in our future? I'm looking forward to the Odyssey version of Lysistrata. icon_surprised.gif Or should I do that one as fanfic? icon_cool.gif

5) In some human cultures, this would have been perfectly acceptable, at least in the royal family. On the other hand, judging by the reactions of the Andromedan characters (not least of all Caecus himself,) I gather the Archeins do not have such a culture.

6) This reminds me of the line in Shanghai Noon where Owen Wilson says to Jackie Chan: "Does that still work in China? Because it's been done to death over here..." In fairness to the production, though, these were Alosians, who do not practice deception, so that may make them pretty gullible. And Maya presumably can tell what's working and what's not and adjust her performance accordingly.

8) You know what I wanted to see here? A stunned Josh Gillen cradling the body. I think that would have been powerful.

+Quote Post
moocow1452
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,600

post Nov 29 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #16
QUOTE (Danny @ Nov 29 2008, 12:13 PM) *
Whens the General relase due?

Agreed. I had to help set up Thanksgiving Dinner, and I missed the chat.

+Quote Post
enterprise_1701e
Lieutenant
Group Icon

From: Orbiting the Earth over the University of the Pacific...
Member No.: 1,372

post Nov 29 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #17
QUOTE (DHillMSP @ Nov 26 2008, 03:37 PM) *
I may be there late, but I'll be there - I'm heading to the parental homestead in Michigan this evening via tiny little jet plane, but should be able to make it in time. Looking forward to it! yipee.gif

When's the forum and general release, since I was unable to hit the chat room?

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Nov 29 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #18
The general release will be before the end of the weekend.

+Quote Post
enterprise_1701e
Lieutenant
Group Icon

From: Orbiting the Earth over the University of the Pacific...
Member No.: 1,372

post Nov 29 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #19
QUOTE (hudson @ Nov 30 2008, 01:47 AM) *
The general release will be before the end of the weekend.

Thank you for that info, hudson.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

+Quote Post
Faldor
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 936

post Nov 30 2008, 08:03 AM
Post #20
Great pacing in this one, all our favourite cliches and a bloody brilliant score.

Herr Hartwig take a bow!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 07:14 AM