Guests cannot vote 
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Feb 18 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #1
With Minstrel in limited release, here is the place to review it, ask questions, comment and otherwise discuss!

Enjoy!

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NewLondenion
Ensign
Group Icon

"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, Their side, and the Truth."

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,279

post Feb 18 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #2
Best episode yet.

Loved the action, loved the score, loved the story.

Looking forward to the coming episodes.

+Quote Post
FrontierGeek
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,260

post Feb 18 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #3
Nice Job guys.

I suspected Ben was working for you know who.

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Feb 18 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #4
To quote the Comic Book Store guy, "BEST. EPISODE. EVER!"

I don't know where to start on this.

Let's start with the direction of David O'Neill. Coming off an incredible job of "Letter of the Law", David has just wowed me with these two episodes, which I consider to be some of the finest to come from HIDDEN FRONTIER PRODUCTIONS.

Acting. EXCELLENT all around. I LOVE that Tom Bulmer, Mike Johns and Melodee M. Spevack have been added to the main cast. Even a ten second glimpse of Caleno was better than nothing!

Combine the awesome acting with a fantastic story and CGI, and you have this episode.

What really shocked me was (spoilers following)

Helena letting people disembark, including COREY!?!?!?!?!

MAXWELL being Section 31-although I should have expected it!

But also like any good HIDDEN FRONTIER PRODUCTIONS, it makes me want the next episode. PLUS what was up with the Klingons?

Bravo guys!!! You all should be proud! I am so excited to see what 2009 holds for all of the HIDDEN FRONTIER PRODUCTIONS!!!

**Edited to clarify that I was talking about Caleno! D'oH!

This post has been edited by TheUSSRowling: Feb 18 2009, 09:25 PM

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Feb 18 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #5
Superlative effort, as always. icon_biggrin.gif

The story, the acting, the effects, the music...it all worked magnificently. Excellent start to the second season.

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Feb 19 2009, 01:15 AM
Post #6
Easily my favourite HC episode to date. Loved it. Lots of tension in this one and it's great to see the Klingons working on their own and skulking about.

Bit surprised by Corey, didn't expect that.

+Quote Post
ST_Edison
Lieutenant
Group Icon

tuned to 440 Hz

Member No.: 3,006

post Feb 19 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #7
Oh frak me I missed the chat. Can't wait to see it!

+Quote Post
Librarian
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

So it is a matter of gender...

Member No.: 4,115

post Feb 19 2009, 04:16 AM
Post #8
QUOTE (ST_Edison @ Feb 19 2009, 10:42 AM) *
Oh frak me I missed the chat. Can't wait to see it!

So do I.

+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon

Harman Rabb in Starfleet?

Member No.: 1,480

post Feb 19 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #9
Unfortunately, I missed it as well. All I know so far is that my name is in the closing credits, and I'm looking forward to seeing that!

+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 3,134

post Feb 19 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #10

I thought this was a very good episode! I especially loved the fantastic spaceships and space CGI sequences.

I liked how everything changes for people... allegiances, realities, and situations, and how they come to personal decisions on how to best accommodate it. And a special shout out to my favorite choir-boy turned bad boy Artim! (and his new "look").

Lots of tangled webs going on there with Maxwell, Johns, Heta'an, Calaeno, and Rand, too... that's gonna get really interesting!

My criticisms are pretty minor, and shouldn't be given too much prominence over all the good things in the episode.

I agree that I would have liked a little more background exposition from Corey about why he was transferring his previous passion for finding Ro no matter what (personal, friends, careers, etc.) to his grief for his now dead friend Robin. I can understand how grief can overwhelm... just saying it could have been better depicted.

I also found the Klingons a welcome inclusion to the story, but hope they'll have a bit more Klingon-ness and enthusiasm in future episodes. I found them somewhat bland.

Looking forward to how the telepathic sinister Heta'an, in cahoots with Maxwell, will use Corey... and for what purpose? And what goals do their non-official "associations" have for them?

Finally, the title of the episode, The Minstrel Boy. Is it used because of that song's prior inclusion in Star Trek television episodes, or as a reference to Robin and others lost in duty? Or is there other significance. One thing I am NOT particularly fond of is direct, in-your-face references to things from Star Trek tv or movies that seem forced or out of place (like Maxwell mentioning Miles O'Brien's technique by name to people who probably don't know him) in order to legitimize the fan fiction's linkage to 'real' Star Trek. We get it, already. But maybe I missed somethng else it means. It's minor, in any case. (I guess I just prefer more directly relevant titles... not that I was expecting someone to be on the bridge playing a lute and singing Greensleeves bulb.gif )

Still, as I said, these are just minor little personal oreferences. Overall, I thought this was a great episode, and really looking forward to the next installments.

Rick

+Quote Post
Danny
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Name a shrub after meó something prickly and hard to eradicate.

Member No.: 4,044

post Feb 19 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #11
Please tell me this will be in general release this weekend

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

+Quote Post
notsonoble
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,290

post Feb 19 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #12
Good, but felt short somehow...

And just when I thought Ben Maxwell might be fun... bah...

However, at least now I can see how it can go further than one or two more episodes. So time for some fun!

+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon

Harman Rabb in Starfleet?

Member No.: 1,480

post Feb 19 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #13
QUOTE (rick20625 @ Feb 19 2009, 02:51 PM) *
Finally, the title of the episode, The Minstrel Boy. Is it used because of that song's prior inclusion in Star Trek television episodes, or as a reference to Robin and others lost in duty? Or is there other significance. One thing I am NOT particularly fond of is direct, in-your-face references to things from Star Trek tv or movies that seem forced or out of place (like Maxwell mentioning Miles O'Brien's technique by name to people who probably don't know him) in order to legitimize the fan fiction's linkage to 'real' Star Trek. We get it, already. But maybe I missed somethng else it means. It's minor, in any case. (I guess I just prefer more directly relevant titles... not that I was expecting someone to be on the bridge playing a lute and singing Greensleeves bulb.gif )

"The Minstrel Boy" was sung by CAPT Maxwell and Miles O'Brien in the episode where the character of Maxwell was introduced. That might have something to do with it. Something about a crewmate with the nickname of "Stumpy," IIRC.

+Quote Post
sabarwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Capt. Bruce J. Space, U.S.S. Eagle Star

Member No.: 702

post Feb 19 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #14
It was a very good episode, not the best IMO, but very good. I agree with Rick on the direction Aster was taken in this episode. It really does seem a reverse to the character we've come to know and love. But as an optimist, I think this might change following a "session" with Heta'an. I like the humanity shown with Fisal in letting the Helena's crew make the choice: stay or try to salvage their careers. Kinda figured that Rockney and Ness would jump into the game eventually.

Something said to me when Maxwell was brought into the picture, that he was S-31. Given the history of his character explained in "Letter of the Law", it made sense. So one wonders what will happen now.

Yay Kilingons! They're always a fun element to throw in the mix. And of course the added touch of nastiness from Madame Caleno.

Great CGI as always.

If I could, I'd say B+.

+Quote Post
crystalwearer
Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,693

post Feb 20 2009, 06:23 AM
Post #15
See, I wasn't surprised at all by Aster's decision. I read him as being overwhelmed with guilt and just wanting everything to stop. Depression's like that. I was a little more surprised that Faisal let him go, because a) she may think she needs him and b) with her counseling background, she could have realized that he was likely to change his mind. I grant that now it's more likely Heta'an will change his mind for him (and/or Helena's going to end up rescuing him), but he'd have come out of his funk on his own.

I was more surprised that Ness stayed with the ship. Of all of them, he seemed to like the direction they were heading in the least. And despite what he said, I'm sure he could have preserved his career if he'd left; his deniability was plausible enough.

Good intrigue and good story layering. I gave it an A.

--Chris

+Quote Post
Will
Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,112

post Feb 20 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #16
I loved the episode...I thought that Corey's decision was understandable. One of the most memorable moments for me was when Corey beamed down--the shot of him looking back up at the sky was beautifully done.

Having the Klingons flying around was fun--reminds me of the Klingons in Star Trek V and also General Chang from Star Trek VI.

I think the different factions developing within Starfleet on this show are interesting--there are those like Johns and Maxwell who are loyal to Starfleet; those like Faisal and Dao who are loyal to their friends on Odyssey, and will risk anything to get their friends back, even if it means losing their careers; and then there are Rockney and Ness who really don't know the Odyssey crew, and don't have the same kind of connection, but are staying with Helena because that's the only place they'll be able to do what they want to do. It seems like they've realized their future in Starfleet is basically over, so they might as well stay in the one place where they can work for themselves.

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Feb 20 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #17
QUOTE (Will @ Feb 20 2009, 09:59 AM) *
Having the Klingons flying around was fun--reminds me of the Klingons in Star Trek V and also General Chang from Star Trek VI.

That actually helps, Will, to help me understand why the Kilingons are in the fray on this. That and...rewatching the episode. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
notsonoble
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,290

post Feb 20 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #18
Here's a sick thought... what if Ben isn't S-31? With the inhibitor on he could have lied... "teaps" aren't so good at intuition when you give them that kinda headache and take their abilities away... and S-31's existence is exposed, so what if he's actually on the hunt... and realizes the councilor is a small fry?

+Quote Post
CleverWombat
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,906

post Feb 22 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #19
I really really REALLY liked this episode. I like the darker turns HC takes.

Good stuff, guys. Keep it coming.

+Quote Post
Major Sayre
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

NX-93017-A, USS Rafale

Member No.: 3,846

post Feb 22 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #20
icon_eek.gif

Wow...wow wow wow wow

I LOVED this episode. This is definitely the best HC so far. And even though he had a small role, the Klingon captain was by far the best Klingon I've seen outside of television/movie Trek. And Ben Maxwell - first off, that was awesome seeing him as a main character in the credits, and this episode he did an incredible job.

Overall loved it. Probably gonna watch it again here in a bit. Great job y'all!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:41 PM