IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> "Intel" Official Review Thread, Federation One's first audio episode and season 2 premiere reviews
Intel review poll
How would you rate "Intel"?
A [ 17 ] ** [53.12%]
B [ 11 ] ** [34.38%]
C [ 2 ] ** [6.25%]
D [ 1 ] ** [3.12%]
F - Stinker! [ 1 ] ** [3.12%]
Total Votes: 32

Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Mar 18 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #1
With "Intel", episode 2.01 in limited release, here is the place to talk about it!

Enjoy,

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nyekye
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

".. continuous external integument ..."

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,336

post Mar 18 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #2
I really enjoyed it. The story keeps your interest and there's a lot of use of the stereo spectrum. I have to admit I laughed when I heard the line "Rogue Star fleet officers hurt my bottom line." and blue juice reminds me of Jonny McGovern's purple drink. Lots of fun and action in a half hour.

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Mar 18 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #3
Another excellent outing. I am burning this one to a CD so I can listen to while stuck in traffic in St. Louis (but not as bad as L.A. traffic! icon_smile.gif. Excellent job from everyone! (Not putting myself in the mix, but I loved every minute of it)

I also loved going back to Hell's Gate, and tying in little tidbits from THE HELENA CHRONICLES.
Spoiler (highlight to view):
Especially the Krakens again. I was wondering "Will we see them again?"

Loved it!

**Edited for more praise.

This post has been edited by TheUSSRowling: Mar 19 2009, 11:49 AM

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Mar 19 2009, 04:56 AM
Post #4
QUOTE (TheUSSRowling @ Mar 18 2009, 09:41 PM) *
Another excellent outing. I am burning this one to a CD so I can listen to while stuck in traffic in St. Louis (but not as bad as L.A. traffic! icon_smile.gif. Excellent job from everyone! (Not putting myself in the mix, but I loved every minute of it)

Oh, throw yourself in the mix. It's show biz! icon_wink.gif

I thought this was an excellent outing and a great way to start the audio episodes. I'm wagering that the story, as presented, is one that would have been a bit more difficult to shoot in video format (scheduling and resources aside) whereas the audio format permitted the painting on a bit of a larger canvas in terms of its scale. As such, it worked very well.

The only part that threw me was Matt's pronunciation of "Son'a". bulb.gif

Congratulations to the entire production team and cast - you've done yourselves proud. I also think you've shown that the audio concept will work and permit Federation One to reach its full flower. Bring on "Family"! icon_cool.gif

+Quote Post
dark_phoenix
Alex Matthews, DR Creator/Executive Producer, HMD Producer
Group Icon

Creator & Executive Producer, Star Trek: Diplomatic Relations

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 2,951

post Mar 19 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #5
Okay havent posted any kind of review in a long while, but i figured the first audio outting of Fed-1 deserved me coming out of retirement icon_razz.gif

Gotta say when I heard the idea of expanding Fed-1 via audio, i was thrilled we'd have more chance to see these characters get fleshed out and developed.
Firstly, i thought Will did a great job as the menacingly voiced but logically minded Vulcan crime boss, hope to hear from him again, and how life for Starfleet officers coming to Hell's Gate has been affected by the Helena Incident. Loved the crack with McCabe correcting the pronunciation of the ship's name, something many of us fans still quarrell about! In fact, I though everyone sounded great, and I like the background touches such as the subspace radio adverts, and nature documentary. I did enjoy the Blue Juice commerical, although I thought the common cold had been cured by the 24th century?

However, i felt the story was a little underdeveloped, and copied on previous episodes of the sister series, such as the reappearance of the Kraken, and the fact that again, rogue Starfleet officers visit Hell's Gate to procure things they need to further their own ends. The show is called "Federation-One" but we're are now exploring an arc where McCabe has gone off-the-books, ie rogue, which has close ties to the current Helena arc. I was disappointed that we did not spend any time with Vindenpawl or her staff, since we've only spent the minimum amount of time with them so far, and I hope later audio episodes leave McCabe alone and instead focus on the way Vindenpawl handles her duties outside of the Se'Fron arc. I also noticed McCabe refused all offers of drinks - given the amount he seemed to drink in Hidden Frontier, and even in the first few episodes of Fed-1, I am hoping this means he is battling that particular demon?

I liked the idea of the crossover with Renegades, but it felt that I was missing out on information, such as their relationship with the mercenary who attacks the Columbia early on. I listened to the Renegades 'pilot' months ago, but remembered it did establish that the Columbia acted as an unofficial Starfleet intelligence gathering force, so its ties to Korg make sense, but non-Renegades listeners may not have a clue why Korg is affiliated with them. It felt that this episode focused more on exploring the Renegades characters then it did furthering the Fed-1 characters, except for the brief time we spend with Mara and McCabe, and their own relationship.

Speaking of, considering she has followed him quite literally to the gates of Hell, I find it surprising, though, that she would so quickly leave him because of his beliefs about Vindenpawl, something she already knew he felt strongly about, especially since she is the one who realises the fighters are Vreijheidian in origin.

Those comments aside, I am still looking forward to hearing more of these audiosodes, and look forward to how they develop each and every character.

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Mar 19 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #6
QUOTE (DHillMSP @ Mar 19 2009, 06:56 AM) *
The only part that threw me was Matt's pronunciation of "Son'a". bulb.gif

That got an eyebrow raise from me, but I love that he corrected Roberts's pronunciation of "Helena".

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,423

post Mar 19 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #7
I found the preview link, but not the episode. Have I missed a newsletter or a forum post? I don't see it in the Sneak Peeks.

(I've talked it up to a few friends, who are eager to hear it. Plus, I'm curious if my lines made it in. angel.gif )

+Quote Post
AndrewF
Producer, Writer, Lead Graphic Artist
Group Icon

Group: Forum Staff
Member No.: 2,772

post Mar 19 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #8
QUOTE (BlueCatShip @ Mar 19 2009, 07:21 PM) *
I found the preview link, but not the episode. Have I missed a newsletter or a forum post? I don't see it in the Sneak Peeks.

(I've talked it up to a few friends, who are eager to hear it. Plus, I'm curious if my lines made it in. angel.gif )

The episode was released to the chatroom last night. General release will follow in a few days.

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

post Mar 19 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #9
Ah, OK, thanks. icon_smile.gif I'll be looking/listening.

+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Member No.: 3,134

post Mar 19 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #10

I thought technically the episode was beautifully done. Great sounds, clarity, background sound effects; it painted a great picture in my mind for the most part. Those who were complaining that an audio show would be boring will be surprised how rich this one is. Technically, I think it was assembled very well.

Loved the mafia-like Vulcan (voiced by Will Dees). It was definitely a Vulcan, but one like we've hardly ever encountered.
The other background characters (waiters, announcers, commercial pitchmen, etc.) really added a level of depth to the audio universe. Quite fun. Plus it was fun knowing many of them were fans who had the opportunity to audition for these roles.

My only negative comment, and it may be out of place, but I thought the use of the Renegades crossover was unnecessary, and frankly, added little to the story (added confusion, if anything). Virtually any pirate captain could have gotten them to Hell's Gate and back. Seemed more like an extended promo for the Renegades production. Don't get me wrong, the voice actors did a great job, but it added little to the HF story. Also, I thought too much time was devoted to Renegades characters, which took away from further story development about Matt McCabe and Onshul and backstory on Vindenpawl, which I consider the main, interesting part of the story. Perhaps I missed something there??

One thing I might suggest, not sure if it is possible... Perhaps add some stock photos and titles and credits cards to the mp3 file (like a slide show) so that while it is playing on the audio browser, some of this content is displaying? Might also help to bridge the gap between audio and video.

Even with my criticisms of the Renegades stuff, I still gave this an A... which I usually don't do.

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17

post Mar 19 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #11
QUOTE (rick20625 @ Mar 19 2009, 08:46 PM) *
One thing I might suggest, not sure if it is possible... Perhaps add some stock photos and titles and credits cards to the mp3 file (like a slide show) so that while it is playing on the audio browser, some of this content is displaying? Might also help to bridge the gap between audio and video.

If we were to have processed it as an AAC file which can be listened to through a large number of players - yes. On a standard MP3 file? Only one picture can be used at a time, and it's the one that'll be seen in the "album art" window through the whole playback period.

As far as what appears to be a left-handed compliment/subtle stab at the Renegades series - well... ...Capt. Roberts was there to teach McCabe a lesson - a lesson that he has obviously failed to learn thusfar. No other "pirate" could've really pulled that off nearly as well as an experienced starship captain who may have once been in McCabe's younger and angrier boots.

The crossover was part of a continued openness between HF and the other fan projects on the web - more importantly, a series that was spun off from a well-regarded episode of HF. While the entire episode being devoted to a combined storyline may not have appealed to you, it was there for a purpose - and there was quite a bit of exploration behind McCabe's motivations and mindset that you may have missed if you maintained your focus only on the "main, interesting" storyline you preferred.

-Jonathan

This post has been edited by capell: Mar 19 2009, 09:44 PM

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Mar 20 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #12
I'd have to agree that it wouldn't work with "any" renegade crew, with Roberts' crew there was a familier connection with what's gone before and a strengthening of connections in the shared universe.

There were some great performances in there but I really loved what Will did with Thoteres. Thought that character was great, at times quite menacing.

There are quite a few still to come so I expect there'll be plenty of chances for the Fed 1 gang to get more airtime icon_smile.gif

There's little to no chance of moving away from the MP3 format imo and I believe the change from Video to Audio is quite clear cut, any attempt to "transition" isn't worth it, people either like audio or they don't. I would say though that if you *think* you don't, give it a try, there's much more scope for finding time to listen to audio as you don't need your eyes for it and they can concentrate on the road...

And btw, I'd very much like to hear more stories from Renegades....

+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Member No.: 3,134

post Mar 20 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #13

Two clarifications --

I didn't say I don't like the concept of a Renegades series (or "left-handed compliment/subtle stab" as Jonathan characterized it above). I just PERSONALLY found it did nothing for the very young Fed One storyline to have this one-off addition of a bunch of new characters, especially with the new audio format change. I'm sure we all get different things from the stories, and read different things into their importance and effectiveness.

I am just a viewer/listener and it's an OPINION, see? If others have a different OPINION of this episode, I'd suggest to them that they state THEIR OPINION of the episode, and not attribute motivation to my OPINION (because otherwise, some might say that's going down the ad hominem path).

The other issue was that I have no complaint about the MP3 format used -- and thought the episode was great sounding. It was just my technical ignorance about whether, in fact, pictures or slides could be incorporated into it. Thanks for providing that technical reason/clarification.

Rick

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Mar 20 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #14
QUOTE (hudson @ Mar 20 2009, 01:45 PM) *
I'd have to agree that it wouldn't work with "any" renegade crew, with Roberts' crew there was a familier connection with what's gone before and a strengthening of connections in the shared universe.

There were some great performances in there but I really loved what Will did with Thoteres. Thought that character was great, at times quite menacing.

There are quite a few still to come so I expect there'll be plenty of chances for the Fed 1 gang to get more airtime icon_smile.gif

There's little to no chance of moving away from the MP3 format imo and I believe the change from Video to Audio is quite clear cut, any attempt to "transition" isn't worth it, people either like audio or they don't. I would say though that if you *think* you don't, give it a try, there's much more scope for finding time to listen to audio as you don't need your eyes for it and they can concentrate on the road...

And btw, I'd very much like to hear more stories from Renegades....

With all due deference to Rick, I'm in total agreement with you here. I think Will did a superlative job (and I have told him as much in private) and think that the move to MP3 is a positive one in total for the reasons I noted earlier.

And in case I didn't get the point across the first time, you did excellent work on this outing. I'm looking forward to hearing future endeavors (both FED and Henglaar, MD once it gets up and running).

As for the Renegades, I'll be listening for their next installment(s)....

+Quote Post
moocow1452
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,600

post Mar 21 2009, 04:57 AM
Post #15
QUOTE (rick20625 @ Mar 20 2009, 03:18 PM) *
I am just a viewer/listener and it's an OPINION, see? If others have a different OPINION of this episode, I'd suggest to them that they state THEIR OPINION of the episode, and not attribute motivation to my OPINION (because otherwise, some might say that's going down the ad hominem path).

Holy crap, Rick is SFDebris! I knew it! Say something both funny and demeaning about Voyager, please!

But on the ACC front, you can have pictures embed into the audio file, using something like Garageband. But in an audio play, it might be a little too impractical, since most people are not going to be staring at their computer or ipod to see the various slides. On a podcast, maybe, but even if you only had an ACC for just credits and logo and title page, that's a bit of work for barely any payoff.

This post has been edited by moocow1452: Mar 21 2009, 09:59 AM

+Quote Post
STRequirius
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,397

post Mar 22 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #16
Why not add the episode to Itunes? It would probably get to be a little bit more popular.

+Quote Post
AndrewF
Producer, Writer, Lead Graphic Artist
Group Icon

Group: Forum Staff
Member No.: 2,772

post Mar 22 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #17
QUOTE (STRequirius @ Mar 22 2009, 04:48 PM) *
Why not add the episode to Itunes? It would probably get to be a little bit more popular.

As mentioned in other topics, we are currently looking into this.

Back to the reviews...

+Quote Post
super_lau
Lieutenant
Group Icon

Member No.: 972

post Mar 22 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #18
Wow, at first I did not know what to expect in an audio version. Everything turned out to be a nice surprise. Very well made.

I did find it a bit odd that only 2 of the main characters were in this episode. Great to have Captain Roberts back though!

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

post Mar 22 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #19
I've listened to the episode twice now. The overall quality was very good, very professional.

I liked Thoteres, what a great idea for a character, a Vulcan criminal boss.

I'm looking forward to Onsul and Matt McCabe, Vindenpaal, and the others in future episodes.

Capt. Roberts comes across better here than in the episode of Renegades I'd heard before.

I loved hearing the other fan actors, even more because now, I know what it's like to audition and contribute lines. (I'm eager to audition for more voice work with HF and Frontier Guard.)

It was great fun to hear dialogue bits and know that was me, mixed in with many other people. I had great fun recording those. What a blast to "be" a story character in a full cast. -- I never expected to be a Klingon, but I liked it, and it came across better than I thought, when I did it. -- I also can easily see why someone else did a far better take on the sports/fight announcer.

* I've begun following Pendant Productions' Star Trek: Defiant, and I like it a lot. Their episodes are available as a podcast through iTunes or any other podcast program, or they can be listened to with any MP3 player.

+Quote Post
moocow1452
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,600

post Mar 22 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #20
Feasibly, you could put the entire Hidden Frontier series on iTunes as a vidcast, along with the spinoffs. Just for the record.

Edit: Right, the episode. I listened to it, and despite never really getting into the FED1 Storyline, it was pretty ok. Plus, Blue Juice, well... It's nice to know that people still market pointless stuff in the future.

This post has been edited by moocow1452: Mar 22 2009, 05:35 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 01:50 PM