IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Gaylaxicon 2009, October 9-11, 2009 (Minneapolis MN)
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 3,134

post Apr 22 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #1

Here's the link for Gaylaxicon 2009 which is being held in Minneapolis, MN this year Oct 9-11, 2009

http://www.gaylaxicon2009.org/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kujhawker
Admiral
Group Icon

Admiral KUJ - Chief Recruiter of the Elite StarFleet Man Candy Corp. Join Today!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,538

post Apr 22 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #2
I plan on attending!

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Apr 22 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #3
QUOTE (kujhawker @ Apr 22 2009, 02:33 PM) *
I plan on attending!

Eggs-cellent. icon_biggrin.gif It'll be great to meet personages that I see here on the boards (or elsewhere on the net).

I'm more than happy to serve as travel consultant beforehand and tour guide once people start arriving.

As for airlines, MSP has all of the majors, with Delta/Northwest and Sun Country hubbed here and Southwest flying from Chicago Midway and Denver direct (the Denver service is brand new - I'm wagering directs to/from Dallas, BWI and/or LAX may be in the offing by the time of the con). We also have Amtrak service via the "Empire Builder" (Amtrak's best service, from what I've experienced), which runs from Seattle/Portland to Chicago on a daily basis - it leaves here every morning around 7 a.m. and arrives around 10 p.m..

I look forward to seeing some of you up here come October. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spartan
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,934

post Apr 22 2009, 02:25 PM
Post #4

I'm going to talk about this at our next Production Meeting on Saturday.. With any luck we can wrangle some folks together and make a little road trip out of it!! It's only 12 hours right?? :-)

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

post Apr 22 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #5
QUOTE (Spartan @ Apr 22 2009, 05:25 PM) *
I'm going to talk about this at our next Production Meeting on Saturday.. With any luck we can wrangle some folks together and make a little road trip out of it!! It's only 12 hours right?? :-)

You'd be correct. And to keep it simple, it's I-94 all the way. icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
rick20625
Group Icon

post Apr 22 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #6

I may come.... not to attend Gaylaxicon, but just to get to meet and play with all of you. But David, I am NOT taking the train from Wash DC to Minneapolis! I'll leave the train travelling to Rob. I'll either teleport, or, if that hasn't been invented by October, then I'll just fly in.

+Quote Post
sabarwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Capt. Bruce J. Space, U.S.S. Eagle Star

Member No.: 702

post Apr 23 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #7
Barring major complications, the Wolves are also planning to attend. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
kujhawker
Admiral
Group Icon

Admiral KUJ - Chief Recruiter of the Elite StarFleet Man Candy Corp. Join Today!

post Apr 23 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #8
If the Wolves and Rick come, doesn't that create power Vacuum in DC? icon_wink.gif

Looking forward to seeing people.

+Quote Post
dcnightwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Life's a banquest and most poor suckers are starvin' to death!

Member No.: 2,583

post Apr 23 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #9
Well this town sucks anyway....

and besides the power vaccuum is with my mother while her broom is in the shop...

I am thinking an HFer party in our room one night or the bunch of us get together for a meal... we seemed to enjoy that last year...

Also, I would highly recommend those going to start finding roommate matches... Sabar and I are rooming together... it will save on cost...

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

post Apr 23 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #10
QUOTE (dcnightwolf @ Apr 23 2009, 05:15 AM) *
Well this town sucks anyway....

and besides the power vaccuum is with my mother while her broom is in the shop...

I am thinking an HFer party in our room one night or the bunch of us get together for a meal... we seemed to enjoy that last year...

Also, I would highly recommend those going to start finding roommate matches... Sabar and I are rooming together... it will save on cost...

rofl.gif

One of the great things about living here is that we have a zillion restaurants (well, great for everything except my waistline bulb.gif ). Tho I'd have to do some research on places that do the shots like that one place I heard about at EB3.... icon_wink.gif

The hotel rate is $140, but as I recall, it's a good hotel (and there are other options nearby that are a wee bit cheaper if need be - shoot me a line if you want to go that route and I can point you in the right direction).

And, sweetie...I just figured you two were going to room together... icon_wink.gif

+Quote Post
kujhawker
Admiral
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2009, 03:56 AM
Post #11
QUOTE (DHillMSP @ Apr 23 2009, 06:45 AM) *
rofl.gif

One of the great things about living here is that we have a zillion restaurants (well, great for everything except my waistline bulb.gif ). Tho I'd have to do some research on places that do the shots like that one place I heard about at EB3.... icon_wink.gif

The hotel rate is $140, but as I recall, it's a good hotel (and there are other options nearby that are a wee bit cheaper if need be - shoot me a line if you want to go that route and I can point you in the right direction).

And, sweetie...I just figured you two were going to room together... icon_wink.gif

What we all arent just staying at Dave's house? icon_mrgreen.gif

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

post Apr 23 2009, 04:11 AM
Post #12
QUOTE (kujhawker @ Apr 23 2009, 06:56 AM) *
What we all arent just staying at Dave's house? icon_mrgreen.gif

rofl.gif

Very funny.

I'm under 15 minutes from the con site, depending on traffic. And the futon in my living room is actually larger than the bed I sleep on (unless I haul out the trundle, then I have a king-size in the bedroom). So I do have crash space, if needed. But I own a 700sf condo, so more than two people is probably not a good idea. bulb.gif

So maybe I need to decide if I'm going to do a lottery or an interview process. rofl.gif

+Quote Post
kujhawker
Admiral
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2009, 04:36 AM
Post #13
QUOTE (DHillMSP @ Apr 23 2009, 07:11 AM) *
rofl.gif

Very funny.

I'm under 15 minutes from the con site, depending on traffic. And the futon in my living room is actually larger than the bed I sleep on (unless I haul out the trundle, then I have a king-size in the bedroom). So I do have crash space, if needed. But I own a 700sf condo, so more than two people is probably not a good idea. bulb.gif

So maybe I need to decide if I'm going to do a lottery or an interview process. rofl.gif

Well I hear that Rob has made some bunk beds - LOL

On a serious note I always have this issue with Con Hotels.

They always seem to be on the more expensive side, almost on puprose. I remember one time making a reservation at hotel and it was high that weekend because of the con coming in. Many times there are hotels around that are much cheaper. But then you aren't in the center of the action. For me I like the fact that I can take a break in my room.

I will probably stay at the hotel (have to remember to perserve). But always feel it is a cheat $140 a night, $10 for internet service , etc etc.

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

post Apr 23 2009, 04:59 AM
Post #14
QUOTE (kujhawker @ Apr 23 2009, 07:36 AM) *
Well I hear that Rob has made some bunk beds - LOL

On a serious note I always have this issue with Con Hotels.

They always seem to be on the more expensive side, almost on puprose. I remember one time making a reservation at hotel and it was high that weekend because of the con coming in. Many times there are hotels around that are much cheaper. But then you aren't in the center of the action. For me I like the fact that I can take a break in my room.

I will probably stay at the hotel (have to remember to perserve). But always feel it is a cheat $140 a night, $10 for internet service , etc etc.

rofl.gif Yeah, but the bunk beds need mattresses, or so I hear. icon_wink.gif Don't get me wrong, there's a part of me that views the ascetic monastic lifestyle as desirable, but in the end, my achin' back needs a decent mattress under it. Yet another reason I didn't join the active military. icon_wink.gif

I don't think it's on purpose. I've planned a global conference before (not a con, per se, but an event like this is just a different shade of grey) - you need to lock this stuff in about two years out in order to get the best possible rate. And bigger numbers means a lower rate, generally, especially for a somewhat older facility like this, which has probably been paid off by now and so is operating like a cash machine for Hilton. From what I've gathered, these particular cons get green-lighted about 12-18 months out, so they're really shooting themselves in the foot in their "organization".

As for this particular hotel, I just checked out their page. And you're right, the base room does not include Internet access - the "Deluxe" and "Suite" rooms do ($20 and $40 additional per night, in case you're wondering). It's a general rule that the higher the diamond/star level (this one's a three-star), the more you pay for "amenities". This is why you get free 'net with your $39 at the Motel 6, but pay for everything under the sun for twice the room rate at the Graves 601.

+Quote Post
dcnightwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Life's a banquest and most poor suckers are starvin' to death!

Member No.: 2,583

post Apr 23 2009, 05:24 AM
Post #15
I was too busy at the last con to do much with the net, but I did enjoy just going upstairs and taking a break and there was that time with the hottie in the speedo at the pool...

also, don't tell them you are with the con and that you have AAA and you will get a better rate...

(of course i did put my reservation in two weeks after the last con so that might have helped)

oooo snot....

someone nominate HF and their shows for the awards show... they haven't ever been submitted if I remember right....

+Quote Post
rick20625
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #16

David, can you tell us -- is this hotel out in the suburbs, where there is a free open parking lot, or will they charge people who drive to park there? If free and easy parking, and other more inexpensive hotels nearby, that makes it much easier if selecting another nearby hotel.

Thanks. And I second the recommendation to reserve early. Unless you are using one of those "non-refundable" rates, reserve your room early --- you can always cancel it in advance of the deadline if your plans change.

Rick

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

post Apr 23 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #17
QUOTE (rick20625 @ Apr 23 2009, 08:51 AM) *
David, can you tell us -- is this hotel out in the suburbs, where there is a free open parking lot, or will they charge people who drive to park there? If free and easy parking, and other more inexpensive hotels nearby, that makes it much easier if selecting another nearby hotel.

It resides within the boundaries of the City of Minneapolis. Barely. If you look at it, it appears to be in the adjacent 'burb of Saint Louis Park (which also adjoins my current city of residence). It is three miles to downtown, via I-394 (which is a spur line they ran out from downtown to the western 'burbs).

Parking is free. icon_mrgreen.gif

As for hotels in the area, there are at least two within shouting distance that I can think of off the top of my head that are probably going to be lower-priced, including one that Pride works with on an annual basis (not everyone needs to stay downtown icon_wink.gif )

+Quote Post
Spartan
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #18

Thanks for all the info! I've never been to Minnie before... (May have to swing by my Corporate Headquarters while I'm there.)

If the 'Osiris' team comes in we'll most likely be looking for a little more affordable option too seein as how we'd be driving and my truck is a bit of a gas hog.. V8 Dodge Durango was an awesome idea before gas prices went WAY up, least I can fit 8 people though! lol

Research this more I will.

+Quote Post
kujhawker
Admiral
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #19
QUOTE (Spartan @ Apr 23 2009, 09:59 AM) *
Thanks for all the info! I've never been to Minnie before... (May have to swing by my Corporate Headquarters while I'm there.)

I am guessing he either works for Dhill's former employer that is a little BLUE for laying him off.
Or Spartan's Hair matches the color of his shirt he wears at work.

See Dave you need those bunk beds for his crew icon_wink.gif

Dave can you list some of the hotels nearby if you know them.

+Quote Post
Spartan
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Apr 23 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #20
QUOTE (kujhawker @ Apr 23 2009, 12:21 PM) *
I am guessing he either works for Dhill's former employer that is a little BLUE for laying him off.
Or Spartan's Hair matches the color of his shirt he wears at work.

See Dave you need those bunk beds for his crew icon_wink.gif

Dave can you list some of the hotels nearby if you know them.

I've been 'Turning on the Fun' here and there for the last 8 years... :-) I use the phrase lightly because there hasn't been a whole lot of 'fun' for a few months..

I'm going to do some research when I get home this afternoon and if I can come up with some more affordable options I'll post them too!

- J

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 04:04 AM