IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "The Immortal Loom" Official Review Thread, SPOILER WARNING!
Review Poll
How Would you rate "The Immortal Loom"?
A [ 28 ] ** [50.91%]
B [ 16 ] ** [29.09%]
C [ 6 ] ** [10.91%]
D [ 2 ] ** [3.64%]
F - Stinker! [ 3 ] ** [5.45%]
Total Votes: 55
Guests cannot vote 
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Aug 24 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #1
With "The Immortal Loom" in limited release, here's the place to review it!

Wide release will be later this week/weekend.

Enjoy!

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,038

post Aug 24 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #2
After what seems like an eternity, we are back into the Andromeda Galaxy following the USS Odyssey.

This was a great treat to come home to tonight after a long day of classes.

Nothing bad that I can see upon my first view, with amazing performances from Julia, Adam and Natalie. Snow effects were amazing, and I'm glad to see Matt again icon_smile.gif

Although, I do wonder what
Spoiler (highlight to view):
Vito and the Grand Majan's cameo
is going to do in 2.03.

Also... the Seram/Dagad sex scene, creepy. The words Grand Majan Seram...creepier...

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,357

post Aug 24 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #3
Okay, now I'm going to be bluntly honest here - if the grading scale allowed for plus or minus grades, I would've given this a B-Plus. Why?

A major character not quite in character: I'm referring mainly to General Morrigu. John Whiting delivers a fine performance, and he has nothing to apologize for - but the writing of his scene with Melantko has him appearing to enjoy threatening the Kelvan with torture or death - not quite the intellectual officer we knew in Season 1, who sought to avoid unnecessary bloodshed.

That was the only (I hesitate to use the word 'flaw', because it's too harsh. Let us say 'anomaly') in this otherwise outstanding episode!

Matthew Montgomery looked very strange with his new clean-shaven look in this episode. I kinda liked the scruffy look on him. That aside, he also delivered his usual stellar performance as newly released Dr. Vaughan.

Those are my only gripes - now onto the good stuff!

The story flows extremely well, especially concerning Stadi and Caecus's characters. Kudos to the props department for rigging a cool VISOR for our Archein guide. To be frank, Julia Morizawa was amazing in the climax scene! I was totally wowed by her anguished performance, feeling her personal agony! WAY TO GO JULIA!!! (She's why I rate this an 'A' instead of 'B')

Brandon's monologue about Ro's hatred of Betras, and his abandoning her to her death is the first time we've seen his own feeling of guilt, and man, it adds depth to this already complex character, one of my top faves in the entire HF-verse.

As for Grand Majan Seram - DAMN! I thought she was scary before! Now she answers to no one! A maniac like Seram without someone to impede her is a terrifying thought! And her bedroom scene with Dagad - it seemed like Beau was struggling not to laugh, which added to it, imho. But still, it seems like Seram really does have a thing for 'young males'. Dagad is the next youngest one we've seen, aside from Caecus, so . . . eeeep! wierd.gif

I also must extend compliments to Gareth Ortiz-Timson for a wonderful musical score - in particular, for Caecus and Stadi's scene in his quarters where they discuss the Great Ones.

Simon Fraser's small appearance as Lipinski was a nice bit of continuity with the audio series "Star Trek: Diplomatic Relations". Somebody better let Alex Matthews know that Lipinski's a few million light-years away now! LOL

Also, did Basha's Great Ones domain seem a little familiar? :-)

So, aside from those tiny issues I mentioned at the beginning, this was an outstanding episode, and I am eager for more!!

(Oh, and something I can't help mentioning - in the bloopers reel, Michelle messed up the name Basha Riista and called her Brista - a name I used in a fan-fic as General Morrigu's ex-wife! Ahh, the comedy that is life!)

This post has been edited by TheWriter: Aug 24 2009, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
Mynna
Ensign
Group Icon

Fangirl. Lover. Writer.

Member No.: 4,521

post Aug 24 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #4
I quite liked this episode and found it well worth the wait. The acting of everyone was superb. I was blown away. Brandon's speech about Betras and what happened on the sphere made me ache.

Poor Stadi. She can't seem to get a break. I find her budding friendship/relationship with Caceus adorable and refreshing and wish to see more of it. All in all, great job guys! Can't wait for more.

+Quote Post
Thalek
John Whiting, Thalek
Group Icon

Member No.: 11

post Aug 25 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #5
Don't blame the writers, Writer: that was my interpretation. I wondered if it was the right thing to do, and apparently, it may not have been.

+Quote Post
enterprise_1701e
Lieutenant
Group Icon

From: Orbiting the Earth over the University of the Pacific...
Member No.: 1,372

post Aug 26 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #6
I thought the episode was good on the whole, and it shows some more depth to the characters. Although it does raise the questions of how Seram became so cruel, unforgiving, and personality development.

Also, it seems a few more pieces of the puzzle may be falling into place, although it is still a little fuzzy.

I wonder what's going on in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants atm though, with the new Archein developments.

+Quote Post
New Homelands
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

All in the good Lords time

Member No.: 4,297

post Aug 30 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #7
All in all a good episode. I especially liked the snow planet (A nice change from the usual wooded forest). CGI was great as well as the acting; with that being said the only thing that I didnít like about the episode was the doctor. Oh the acting was first rate, but I was startled to see him without the beard. Personally I prefer the scruffy look.

Seeing as thatís my only complaint I think itís safe to say that youíve made another great episode.

+Quote Post
dmagiclight
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

open your mind and anything can happen

Member No.: 3,718

post Aug 31 2009, 07:29 AM
Post #8
I Thought this was one of the best episodes so far,the acting was stellar and I love the plot.
personally i am waiting for a scene with Aster & Ro

+Quote Post
Chroniton
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

The darkness brought by the truth.

Member No.: 4,195

post Aug 31 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #9
Stadi centric Good
F/F kiss Good
Archein feeling regret over the Kelvin massacre Good
Rotation of crew to find their best department Good
Basha Good
Stadi/Basha fight Good
The idea the Great ones are the same species as the wormhole aliens, (Prophets) Good

Score: B/C.

Generally though I think this episode didn't match 2x01 for me. The first reason was the seeming lack of any anger from T'lorra against Caecus despite the fact he was the,'partner', (and son according to the wiki) of Majan Sarem that ordered the attcks on Romulan territory. The entire fake questioning to cover up her delievery of the visor felt like watching an ambarassed girl give her boyfriend a present. I've nothing against the idea of Caecus/T'Lorra relationship but why would she would trust him an ex-senior member of, "people whow would gladly see my home burn". The second is the whole Basha part of the story felt rushed. She was supoosedly a clever thinker but never thought to cover her tracks when using her fellow scientists as test subjects or were some oe all of them willing volunteers? We don't get any real explainiation from her as to why she believes and how her, 'ascendation' technology worked just, "I can make it all better". To see an element of doubt appear in her beliefs after kissing Stadi would have made some sense too. Thirdly Acting Cheif Engineer Gillen appears to have turned Cadfeal like as he goes on about the entry wounds, reading the translations, and so forth, it's that what the Doctor and first officer,(Subcommander) should be saying? This coupled with the fact in series 1 Ro was able to stop a core breach simply by pressing a few LCARS buttons while Gillen panicked as he scanned the warpcore makes me think he should have been a security or medical ensign instead. The fourth reason is that Stadi wasn't punished for killing Basha, on Voyager Suder the Betazoid killer was at least locked in his quarters.

This post has been edited by Chroniton: Aug 31 2009, 03:22 PM

+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon

Harman Rabb in Starfleet?

Member No.: 1,480

post Sep 1 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #10
B here as well.

One thing I did see which I'm not sure I was supposed to is when Caecus first puts on the VISOR, you can still see the pretty LED's blinking on the side of his head because the VISOR was put on above them. Later on, you don't see the LED's - were they not on him then (as in due to makeup)?

I was also wondering if
the Great Ones are the same or similar to the Celestial Prophets.

+Quote Post
Captain Serek
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Captain of the USS Intrepid II - NCC-1738

Member No.: 1,984

post Sep 1 2009, 04:29 AM
Post #11
I enjoyed this episode immensely. Acting and all the elements were superb.

+Quote Post
Chroniton
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

The darkness brought by the truth.

Member No.: 4,195

post Sep 1 2009, 06:32 AM
Post #12
QUOTE (sffilk @ Sep 1 2009, 10:19 AM) *
I was also wondering if
the Great Ones are the same or similar to the Celestial Prophets.

Either that or they used the white background as the tradional Trek, 'religious place' shots like in TNG: Tapestry, and in DS9: the Celestrial temple in the wormhole.

+Quote Post
DAHstra
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,920

post Sep 1 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #13
I found myself really wanting it to continue. But alas, I know it will be a while. cry.gif

+Quote Post
manamar
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Just here for the beer!

Member No.: 3,880

post Sep 1 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #14
QUOTE (DAHstra @ Sep 1 2009, 08:41 PM) *
I found myself really wanting it to continue. But alas, I know it will be a while. cry.gif

Ah! Not just me then! I know the phrase "always leave them wanting more" is often applied, but rarely so well. Loved the final scene between Stadi and Ro.

Eric

+Quote Post
Lonewriter
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,200

post Sep 1 2009, 05:27 PM
Post #15
This is one of my favorite episodes yet. Well done everyone. I do have a technical nitpick, during some of the scenes, the sound was off, like a hissing sound. I want to really give a special shout out to the actors, you guys should be on TV or the movies! My favorite scene was between Stadi and Basha, I might have a guess what the gateway Basha was talking about. I also loved the scene between Stadi and Caecus, it reminded me of the scenes between Kes and Tuvok on Voyager. Keep up the good work everyone. I can't wait for the next episode.

+Quote Post
TheRealArtim
Beau Christian Williams, Artim
Group Icon

Member No.: 399

post Sep 1 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #16
it seemed like Beau was struggling not to laugh

I was actually going for the whole "i just made it with the grand majan." feeling. You know....elated....feeling on top of the world. If that was not properly delivered, I apologize, it seems I have more work to do on my craft.

+Quote Post
DAHstra
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,920

post Sep 1 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #17
That "elated" feeling is what I got from your performance. I can see how on the edge of laughter that might have seemed, because there would have been those internal "YAHOOS!" going on inside your character's head.

But, I have to be the first to say, they should have had more of you shown! icon_smile.gif

This post has been edited by DAHstra: Sep 1 2009, 11:13 PM

+Quote Post
sabarwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Capt. Bruce J. Space, U.S.S. Eagle Star

Member No.: 702

post Sep 1 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #18
Very well done episode. More later, I hope. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Sep 2 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #19
QUOTE (TheRealArtim @ Sep 1 2009, 08:18 PM) *
I was actually going for the whole "i just made it with the grand majan." feeling. You know....elated....feeling on top of the world. If that was not properly delivered, I apologize, it seems I have more work to do on my craft.

I thought you pulled off that feeling fairly well, personally. Plus I do seem to recall from the bloopers that there was a certain cat that wanted a go at making it a threesome, so I'm sure that was a more challenging scene than usual.... icon_mrgreen.gif

I did also notice the sound issue that has been referred to (and it was mentioned by a few other viewers I've chatted with recently). From my POV, it sounded like maybe the air conditioner was on high or something....

+Quote Post
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Sep 2 2009, 02:58 AM
Post #20
Definitely on *high*, though what you are hearing is probably the fans that were also fairly high. It's just been too hot to film this summer, so we'll bear that in mind this time next year. I think this episode bore the brunt of that issue (at least I hope).

Rob

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 07:21 PM