Guests cannot vote 
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Oct 19 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #1
Tonight was the world premiere of the episode, "Q in the Dark".

The episode is now available online on Vimeo.

Feel free to post comments and feedback here.

Rob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,357

post Oct 19 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #2
Honestly, I can't give this one an A. It's nothing to do with the actors, or the story, but this one just doesn't seem like an Angeles episode - more like a precursor to HF, as evidenced in its recycled appearance in HF-304 "Heroes".

Jason Munoz, star of the episode and a great guy in person, turns in a dynamic performance in this episode as a young officer having his first real taste of command in a trial-by-fire story that brings him toe-to-toe with none other than the Borg!!!

But the Angeles and the Independence are almost totally absent from the story, aside from seeing them rush to the rescue, only to arrive too late to do any good.

However, the additional footage at the beginning finally shows some explanation for what a young officer like Jason was doing in command of an advanced ship like the Olympus, when Captain Willcocks and Admiral Viek see him off on his officer's command test. And of course, we're treated to a brief scene on the Angeles itself, where Cliff Gardner delivers his catch-phrase "Here goes nothing!" (In every episode! LOL)

And as Mr. Continuity, I feel obligated to bring up a little boo-boo I've noticed.

Munoz gives the stardate of this episode as 53902.4, but in HF-604, Aster listed the stardate as 53427.9, which would place it before the ANG episode "A Little Night Music". However, this error is most likely the result of Beachhead's writer having not seen the full version of this episode.

And of course, we see Arthur and Tyler Bosserman (Ro Mk I & Barrett) and Tristan Clark (Rawlins) as natives, before they became the well-known characters of HF. And you can see people's legs after Munoz and Aster beam up. lol.

A good episode, but honestly, not the best of the Angeles series.

Four down, 1 episode and a movie to go!

This post has been edited by TheWriter: Oct 19 2009, 07:15 PM

+Quote Post
Captain Serek
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Captain of the USS Intrepid II - NCC-1738

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,984

post Oct 20 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #3
I just downloaded and finished watching the most recent Angeles release. Overall I agree with The Writer on various points which is why I gave it a B. My own nitpicks are simple. The widescreen presentation still cuts off the opening credits, although the end credits clear up who played who, I would still like to see the players. I also noticed an aspect ratio change every time a SPX sequence occurred, from the transporter to the Q arrivals.

A simple suggestion would be to pillar box the opening credits then go to widescreen when the credits are done. You are already changing aspect ratios anyway so it will make it easier for the viewer.

All that being said, I did enjoy the episode. Based on The Writer's statement we can look forward to one more episode and the feature. I await them with great anticipation as I have all HF productions.

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Oct 20 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #4
I can't argue with either of the two analyses given thus far. At the same time, I'm willing to be a bit more forgiving of the episode. Admittedly, we've seen it before, but the additional footage helped give a bit more context. Also agreed that this was an episode of the Angeles that barely featured the titular starship, but on the whole, I think it was a good episode that helped set the stage for the series that would replace ANG. I thought it was a solid effort and the best of the Angeles episodes up to this point. Of course, I've not seen the movie or 1.05 yet, so that might change. icon_smile.gif

As for the continuity issue, that's been noted on the Wiki on the HF 6.04 page for future reference.

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,357

post Oct 20 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #5
You know what? I will admit that originally seeing this episode as an HF flashback may have colored my view of it. Especially since so little of it is different from the flashback, as opposed to "Dreamers" and "To the Stars".

If it was known that "Voyages of the U.S.S. Angeles" was in fact coming to an end, then it was a good way to introduce some new characters, such as Corey Aster and Jenna McFarland Mark I, as well as Brickmeyer who's mentioned in HF-102, and Durkos, mentioned in HF-304. Presumably, Brickmeyer and Durkos perished with Munoz in HF-301.

If there were steps between the standard letter grades (why aren't there, anyway?), I would've rated this as either a B+ or A-.

It's my observation that the Angeles episodes suffered from DLS (Diminishing Length Syndrome icon_lol.gif ), as they seem to be growing progressively shorter, which is probably why so little of the story included the Angeles or the Independence. I'm not saying that the Angeles HAS to be in the center spotlight all of the time, but more than one warping-to-the-rescue scene would've seemed to have been indicated.

That's what I meant by this not seeming as much like an ANG episode as the others.

+Quote Post
DustinDeaton
Ensign
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,598

post Oct 22 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #6
Well I really loved this episode. I loved in when I saw it in Heroes, but to see it all is even better. I believe this is the best episode of the Voyages of the Angeles so far I give it an A. Cant wait til the rest of the series comes on.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 03:54 AM