Total Votes: 16

Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Jan 18 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #1
With "Family" going into release, here is the place to rate it!

Enjoy!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,357

post Jan 18 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #2
Finally getting to learn more about President Vindenpawl - initially, I balked at the notion. But with Vindenpawl's sister and niece, we learned a bit more about a very complex character, whom I once equated to a female Palpatine - definitely not the case anymore, but I don't quite trust her yet. Her relationship with her sister is definitely complicated, and she seems affectionate toward her niece, although a little stand-offish.

An ongoing plot from "Institutions" is continued here, with Vindenpawl's stance on Federation education, and various planets' revulsion to holographic teachers (though I fail to comprehend why some would dislike that).

A minor error in the stardates, but that is a relatively minor plot-point.

Plus, even though it was only 2 lines, I was thrilled to participate as the Maitre'D in this episode, which brings my HF appearance total up to 5, lol!

Andrew and Eric definitely make a great writing team! I look forward to more of their collaborations!

+Quote Post
Tiberius Mudd
Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,957

post Jan 18 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #3
An ongoing plot from "Institutions" is continued here, with Vindenpawl's stance on Federation education, and various planets' revulsion to holographic teachers (though I fail to comprehend why some would dislike that).

The anti-hologram sentiment was -- in my mind -- more of a shorthand for expressing dismay towards and dislike of the idea that "big government" should mandate anything for local communities. The practical argument is that the Federation's reach exceeds its grasp by trying to mandate anything for its member planets. Indeed, Federation policies have very little influence on local jurisdictions, and Vindenpawl's efforts to basically put Federation technology on every planet has a "Big Brother is watching" feel to it.

That's not an idea one could easily pick out from the anti-hologram sentiment, but a facet of this storyline (and similar socially-conscious Star Trek episodes) is that it should generate some real-world discussion. To what extent should the government try to fix our problems?

+Quote Post
TheWriter
Camren T. Burton, DR/EQX Exec Producer
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,357

post Jan 18 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #4
QUOTE (Tiberius Mudd @ Jan 18 2010, 08:32 PM) *
The anti-hologram sentiment was -- in my mind -- more of a shorthand for expressing dismay towards and dislike of the idea that "big government" should mandate anything for local communities. The practical argument is that the Federation's reach exceeds its grasp by trying to mandate anything for its member planets. Indeed, Federation policies have very little influence on local jurisdictions, and Vindenpawl's efforts to basically put Federation technology on every planet has a "Big Brother is watching" feel to it.

That's not an idea one could easily pick out from the anti-hologram sentiment, but a facet of this storyline (and similar socially-conscious Star Trek episodes) is that it should generate some real-world discussion. To what extent should the government try to fix our problems?

I can only imagine what Voyager's EMH would be thinking about such sentiments. icon_lol.gif

+Quote Post
TheUSSRowling
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,038

post Jan 23 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #5
Took me a bit to get into it, but once I did, I was not disappointed. Becky, Aaron, et al., prove that you don't need visuals to enjoy good sci-fi. I actually burned it to a CD and had it with me during traffic jam this week! ^__^

+Quote Post
FrontierGeek
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,260

post Jan 24 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #6
Ok, storywise, this was good. We saw a bit more into our lovley presentents family and saw some new side to her as well. "But" The assembly of the audio has much to be disired in my opinion. It felt... like the lines were a bit rushed in a few sections and the tones of the some of the characters did not match up sometimes.

By that i mean, there would be a bit more of an infleciton in one character and then the other character would respond in a tone that didnt fit the mood. Also some of the dialog felt a bit rushed. Overall I think i'll give this a "B"

"FG"

This post has been edited by FrontierGeek: Jan 24 2010, 06:38 PM

+Quote Post
AndrewF
Producer, Writer, Lead Graphic Artist
Group Icon

Group: Forum Staff
Member No.: 2,772

post Jan 25 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #7
Unfortunately, when our performers all record at different locations (Canada, UK, USA, Netherlands, Germany, Australia...) with different equipment, the inevitable result is variety in audio quality. Kudos to Michael for being able to correct 99% of the problems he encounters.

But seriously, thanks for listening and for providing the honest feedback... and I hope you'll be back for the next installment!

+Quote Post
FrontierGeek
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,260

post Jan 25 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #8
I wouldn't miss it. icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,423

post Jan 26 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #9
This episode was a mix, IMHO. I know I was distracted by Real Life (tired, stressed, bleh) which influenced my take on the episode. I'll be re-listening later.

The holograms and education storyline was good, though some of the scenes didn't quite get there, I thought.

The storyline with Vindenpawl and her sister and niece didn't quite do it for me, yet somehow at the end, humanized her a little and jelled more. -- This was about when the lemonade stand (not lemonade, but you get it) came up.

One thing, to the story and drama that I wish had been explored: The niece readily idolizes her Aunt Vindenpawl...but why? Why doesn't she become disappointed by Vindenpawl's haughty attitude and lack of time for her and her mother? -- But V's sister and niece do discuss things a little.

Still loved the performances by all the cast. Becky's performance was the strongest. I'd like to hear/see more from the others, such as Tam Enzi and the Bolians, and it might be interesting to see/hear what else happens with V's sister and niece.

Hmm... 3 to 4 stars, my vote. -- We'll see what I think after viewing again.

+Quote Post
USS_Frontenac
Ensign
Group Icon

Age Quod Agis Ab Imo Pectore

Member No.: 4,674

post Jan 31 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #10
Loved the episode guys! I only have one regret: I was really coming to like hating Vindenpawl... Now I can't do that quite as easily :-( hehehehe

+Quote Post
SPT
Commodore
Group Icon

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

Member No.: 3,143

post Feb 3 2010, 01:42 AM
Post #11

After the season opener with Wayne Webb and Heather Ashley(which was cool!), it was nice, nay GREAT, to see the return of Vindenpawl. Nice backstory for our beloved President, the actress who plays her niece was wonderfully talented! I hAve to say, much as I like SF Renegades, it was nice to see a FED1 solo show and her Supreme Schemerness, back in the saddle.

+Quote Post
manamar
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Just here for the beer!

Member No.: 3,880

post Feb 3 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #12
Goes to show that Vindenpawl isn't your standard "cardboard cutout" villain; the added depth does indeed make it harder to dislike her regardless of her didactic past.

Eric

+Quote Post
AndrewF
Group Icon

post Feb 3 2010, 08:28 AM
Post #13
QUOTE (SPT @ Feb 3 2010, 04:42 AM) *
After the season opener with Wayne Webb and Heather Ashley(which was cool!), it was nice, nay GREAT, to see the return of Vindenpawl. Nice backstory for our beloved President, the actress who plays her niece was wonderfully talented! I hAve to say, much as I like SF Renegades, it was nice to see a FED1 solo show and her Supreme Schemerness, back in the saddle.

Thanks SP. I'll pass on your kudos to Sarah, who played the niece. She is an arts student (dances, sings, plays an instrument, acts) here in Ontario.

+Quote Post
AndrewF
Group Icon

post Feb 3 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #14
QUOTE (manamar @ Feb 3 2010, 04:52 AM) *
Goes to show that Vindenpawl isn't your standard "cardboard cutout" villain; the added depth does indeed make it harder to dislike her regardless of her didactic past.

Eric

I have never thought of Vindenpawl as a villain. She is a strong-willed leader dedicated to achieving what she believes are noble goals. It just so happens that those that disagree with her see her as a "villain type". Eric and I were thrilled to be able to show both the tough and the softer side of her when it comes to interacting with her family. Never one to let her guard down in front of people, her parting remark to her sister -- one that showed she truly did care --- was spoken alone.

+Quote Post
Ro Sekura
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,987

post Feb 22 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #15
I finally got around to downloading the episode and I thought it to be great. It was nice to have some background on Vindenpawl and the fact that she is a complex character with an apparent soft side for her family. She and her sister may not get along but they do love each other. This episode takes a step back from the politics of the Federation allowing for a different view of the people that are involved in the government. Nice editing job and all the actors did a great job.

I can't say much for me since I have been doing the job I have in this episode for the last four years.

This post has been edited by Ro Sekura: Mar 23 2010, 12:08 PM

+Quote Post
Tarne
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,055

post Mar 19 2010, 05:30 PM
Post #16
Silly me didn't realise this was out already! Was a good episode

+Quote Post
AndrewF
Group Icon

post Mar 26 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #17
One last bump, considering the next episode comes out in April.

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 11:56 AM