> Grissom iTunes not working
proxy
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

post Feb 23 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #1
I downloaded the first two audios of Grissom and they simply crash my iPhone back to the main menu. HELP please.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SPT
Commodore
Group Icon

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

Member No.: 3,143

post Feb 24 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #2
QUOTE (proxy @ Feb 24 2010, 02:35 AM) *
I downloaded the first two audios of Grissom and they simply crash my iPhone back to the main menu. HELP please.

Hi Proxy

I had that problem with episode 1, but when I checked, thought it was an isolated incident. How I got around this:

Delete Grissom from your iPhone
Download Grissom to your iPhone NOT via your pc, but via the App Store application on your actual phone
This will now play. When you later sync, it should be fine, mine was

Hope this is some help Proxy

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Feb 25 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #3
Not sure what's causing this, 2nd report I've seen.

Unfortunately it doesn't play on the iPod touch either but does play on computers, in itunes and all other MP3 players I've tried it on.

I've been unable to locate any information about known problems regarding file size or bitrate. Why SPT's method works I don't know either since the file being downloaded is the same.

+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon

Harman Rabb in Starfleet?

Member No.: 1,480

post Feb 25 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #4
I had previously downloaded the two Grissom episodes into my iPod classic, and they both work fine. Strange.

+Quote Post
hudson
Group Icon

post Feb 25 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #5
Yup, the download version is split into two parts. The itunes version is one long part. It's the itunes version that has this issue.

+Quote Post
SPT
Commodore
Group Icon

post Feb 26 2010, 04:15 AM
Post #6
QUOTE (hudson @ Feb 26 2010, 12:08 AM) *
Yup, the download version is split into two parts. The itunes version is one long part. It's the itunes version that has this issue.

Thanks Hudson for looking into this, I'd hate to do anybody out of a dose of Grissom action!

SP icon_cool.gif

+Quote Post
Oneiros
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

[Insert funny remark here]

Member No.: 4,369

post Feb 26 2010, 07:13 AM
Post #7
I don't like fangled technology at the best of times, so when you have a piece of kit which has to have its own format to make it work, I avoid them like the plague.

However... I have heard of something similar to this before.

A friend had an iPod, and he did all the updates and things like a good little iTunes user. Then one day, things wouldn't play on his iPod.

What happened was, there was a let's call it a cookie that apple sent out which blocked anything on the iPod which never had the right properties as part of its file. Basicly, if it wasn't bought from iTunes, you were screwed.

So, what I'm thinking could be happening here, is if you're downloading from iTunes to your PC, then transfering to the iPod/iPhone/iTouch/iWellington Boot, you might not be copying a hidden file. (I know when I move things off my PC to my external drive, I get the message "Are you sure you want to move this file without its properties?")

If you download direct from iTunes using your iPhone/iTouch/iBanana (or whatever it's called.) You're probably transfering the special file without realising. So that's why it works.

As I said, I don't own any of these toys, so I can't confirm if this is true, but that's what I think is happening.

+Quote Post
hudson
Group Icon

post Feb 26 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #8
Thanks for the idea, don't think it's that though since this is the only episode we're having problems with.

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,423

post Feb 27 2010, 02:58 AM
Post #9
I have both Grissom episodes downloaded and will try listening from my iPhone and from my PC. I'll let you know in a few minutes if I have trouble. I downloaded the second, newest episode before this trouble report appeared, though.

I'm subscribed to Hidden Frontier's podcast feed in iTunes and I have an iPhone. It typically downloads new episodes, no muss, no fuss.

However, occasionally, it will not download a new episode. (Something to do with date/time of check; or how long it's been since you last listened to an episode of the podcast; or how long it's been since the podcast feed was updated by the originator, I think.)

Generally, if you go into the podcast in question, select the topmost entry (the podcast itself) and right-click "Update Podcast" it will go out, check the podcast feed file and update its local copy on your computer, and then begin downloading the newest episode.

However, there've been times when this or other podcasts have not properly updated.

As to how you get the files, iTunes prefers to organize podcasts itself, from handling the update feed to getting new episodes, to sync'ing your PC or Mac with your iPhone / iPod Touch / iWidget. If you download a podcast independently and then import it into iTunes, it will generally treat the files as though they belonged in the "Music" category.

I'm not aware of some hidden file, but there could be something saved in the file or files iTunes keeps for the application itself. It *does not* keep a hidden file in the Podcasts folder or in an individual podcast's folder.

I have run into cases where audio was encoded in some way that iTunes and an iPhone or iPod didn't like, such that part of the podcast episode was garbled or silent. (Not a file download issue, but a codec issue, apparently.)

I hope that gives some useful background info for tracking down the problem.

And yes, I've had problems with it not "seeing" an updated feed or a new episode, despite it being there. -- Perhaps there's a caching issue, where a copy of the feed file, either from the originator, or on the user's local machine, or on Apple's iTunes servers, or else some form of cookie, is not getting updated properly? (Ohhh, that muddies the troubleshooting waters with too many IF's.... Sorry.)

I'll check my iPhone and iTunes on my PC and get back to you all in a few minutes, whether Grissom ep 1 and 2 are OK.

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,423

post Feb 27 2010, 03:36 AM
Post #10
Update: I listened to the first couple of minutes of both episodes with no problems.

+Quote Post
hudson
Group Icon

post Feb 27 2010, 03:53 AM
Post #11
Thanks for the info and again, they're all valid troubshooting points. The feeds themselves are fine and episodes are downloading but the report was Ep2 of Grissom doesn't play on an iphone (and I saw the same on my ipod).

Your newest update seems to indicate only some models or OS versions have the problem which makes it tougher still.

I am convinced the delivery and the episode is perfectly fine but that doesn't help people that are having the problem.

+Quote Post
SPT
Commodore
Group Icon

post Feb 27 2010, 07:19 AM
Post #12
Thanks Blue and Hudson for checking this out, and to you Onieros.

As before, when I downloaded from my apps on my iphone rather than the pc, the episode worked fine. I rather think it is iTunes rather than the download itself.

Let us know if any more hassle, and thanks for listening!

SP

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 06:10 PM