IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FG Ship Design, Where did you get it??
CDR_DAXIAN
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

nothing is impossible, it just takes a long time to achieve it.

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,727

post Jun 9 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #1
these ships you've designed are totally awesome, even without the torsion ring effect, you have created the best ship design i have ever seen.

how did you come up with it?

CDR_DAXIAN
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Jun 10 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #2
When I was designing Polaris I started with the basic shape of a classic 1950's rocket ship, then I added elements of a submarine like the conning tower and it sort of just came together from there.

The other ships I designed were basically built out from the central axis to take advantage of the circular shaped "habitable zone" created by the rings.

Arkady (Brian) designed the rest of the ships like Gallant and the Aqarii so I'm sure he can give some insight into those as well.

Rob

+Quote Post
Saharda
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,800

post Jun 11 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #3
One thing I really like about the thing is the gyroscopic capability of the ship. If one were to put another sizable gyro in the core of the ship one could pivot on a dime. I suppose the same could be done by playing with inertial systems.

+Quote Post
Rob_C
Rob Caves, Executive Producer, Editor, 3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Root
Member No.: 4

post Jun 11 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #4
Oh, and shameless plug, just about every design seen on screen and some not shown are in the Ships of the Guard Calendar at the FG Store. icon_wink.gif

Rob

+Quote Post
Saharda
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,800

post Jun 11 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #5
QUOTE (Rob_C @ Jun 11 2010, 10:47 AM) *
Oh, and shameless plug, just about every design seen on screen and some not shown are in the Ships of the Guard Calendar at the FG Store. icon_wink.gif

Rob

Cool. I have one in every room of the house just now, but in a few months you will have a sale.

+Quote Post
CDR_DAXIAN
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Aug 23 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #6
one thing i'd like to know is: like on voyager, can these ships land? like land on a planet/other stellar body?

it would be cool

"set rings to stationary mode, engage atmospheric thrusters"
"rings locked, atmospheric thrusters activated"
presses pad for comm."all decks prepare for landing"
"all decks report ready"
"helm: take us down"

icon_mrgreen.gif just an idea/fantasy
not sure icon_confused.gif

CDR_DAXIAN

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,423

post Aug 23 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #7
That likely depends on the size of the ship. It'd have to be small enough or sturdy enough that the heat and pressure of descent through atmosphere and of landing would not tear the ship apart, when it's designed for space travel.

Some ships are designed to be able to go into an atmosphere and land. Others can only land part of the ship. Still others can only land a surface-to-air craft, like a shuttle.

This also would have to take into account if parts of the starship are never intended to make planetfall because they have hazardous components. You don't want something toxic (radiation, etc.) or otherwise lethal landing where you might visit or even colonize or end up marooned or where you might want to trade and then come back later. I'm thinking a fusion reactor or a singularity or a warp field anomaly could really put a crimp in your stay!

...Now I have an urge to watch "My Science Project." (Remember, 1980's movie, high school boy finds weird top-secret gadget, uses it for his science project, ends up throwing his school into multiple time warps. Stuff happens. Fun flick.)

+Quote Post
CDR_DAXIAN
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Aug 23 2010, 01:41 PM
Post #8
well i didn;t mention that part, but i didn't think of it either

oops bulb.gif

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,423

post Aug 23 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #9
Don't sweat it. Just because it isn't supposed to happen, or might be hazardous, doesn't mean it would't happen. It might make a tight spot for the crew and guest cast to get out of. After all, they have to have something to do.

So you might have given those sneaky writers a nudge.

+Quote Post
CDR_DAXIAN
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Aug 23 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #10
hmm

i've never thought of myself as "influential"

hardly in fact

but who knows, imagine, spinning up the torsion rings while descending into the atmosphere, could make a landing assistance mode

like FG Ep. 102:

"the torsion rings reduce the mass of the ship to I the square root of -1"

the square root of negative one is impossible to calculate? no? (either way I'm getting off topic icon_mrgreen.gif )

but think of it, if they spun up the torsion rings, then they would have a smoother landing, less mass, the less gravitational pull right

or am i confused with weight?

hmm icon_idea.gif thoughts

CDR_daxian

This post has been edited by CDR_DAXIAN: Aug 23 2010, 05:18 PM

+Quote Post
Arkady
Commander
Group Icon

Sic vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,920

post Aug 25 2010, 03:28 AM
Post #11
QUOTE (BlueCatShip @ Aug 23 2010, 11:53 PM) *
Don't sweat it. Just because it isn't supposed to happen, or might be hazardous, doesn't mean it would't happen. It might make a tight spot for the crew and guest cast to get out of. After all, they have to have something to do.

So you might have given those sneaky writers a nudge.

Hehe generally speaking it's probably not supposed to happen, even a combat scout is a big ship, and its more likely any attempt to land something like Polaris (provided one could pull it off) is a one way trip for the ship by way of crash landing.

doesn't mean that it theorhetically couldnt happen, but theres a lot of factors against it being able to land (not shearing the rings off upon reentry being one of those factors.) And then there's the problem of ever getting the ship off the ground once you get there (if you get there.)

In any case, almost all FG (and alien) ships carry a number of utility shuttles, landers, dropships, and craft like the peacemaker fighter and the peacekeeper attack fighter that can make planetfall.

As for design: The Gallant is based along the same lines as Rob's Polaris design, but is farther along in its evolutionary lines, hull construction improvements make it more curvy than the blockiness of its older predecessor and the entire ship is designed to be much more capable in its sensor networks than Polaris is. Gallant still maintains the submarine like conning tower on its dorsal surface, although it has the wide plane like structure as well. In addition it's main deflector type dish is located on the ventral tower on the opposite hull surface.

The general design of Gallant is more streamlined than Polaris, like I said, and has more of a dagger shape to it.

Somewhere in my notes I had comparisons between Polaris and Gallant that I may or may not have submitted to Rob at the time (in which case i'll submit them now, Rob , lol). Among the differences is while Gallant is newer, faster, and more capable a sensor platform than its older cousin, the Polaris is actually able to absorb more punishment just because of its older hull construction and armor plating. The two ships can deal out more of less equivalent amounts of firepower although Gallant may have an advantage there with a newer fire control system, but Polaris can also take a beating and come home (there has to be some reason why the old girl has survived this long, after all..)

All in all, and just IMO, if the two faced off in a training battle with Renden Fleece in command of the Gallant, and Connor Blake in the captain's chair of the Polaris, then Renden would get a very rude surprise of just what that old girl can do when taking advantage of its strengths and a smart captain.

+Quote Post
CDR_DAXIAN
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Aug 25 2010, 06:38 AM
Post #12
i guess i have to take into account that any ship without shields (do FG ships have shields like energy barriers?? icon_confused.gif ) would burn up from the friction of the atmosphere.

CDR_DAXIAN

+Quote Post
CDR_DAXIAN
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Aug 25 2010, 06:46 AM
Post #13
so if Polaris had stronger armor plating, why didn't gallant. and for that matter: why not any other FG ships? are you saying that an older ship doesn't have some relation in parts with newer ones, like the armor plating?

oh and by the way, i like the look of the Achilles drop-ship, but do you have any shuttle with a torsion drive, like the one the aqarii shot across the station as a torpedo

This post has been edited by CDR_DAXIAN: Aug 25 2010, 06:49 AM

+Quote Post
Arkady
Commander
Group Icon

Sic vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 1,920

post Aug 25 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #14
As I understand it the fields created by the rotating torsion rings create a shield like effect, but having the spinning rings contact the atmosphere during a reentry manuever would probably have some unpleasant effects.

Actually, Gallant does have armor, as do the rest of the FG ships, and sorry if I did not make that too clear there. Polaris is a ship from a different time, though. The idea is like comparing a cruiser or destroyer from world war II to one of today, the ships of the second world war could take a lot of punishment, but overall the more modern ships are more capable in their roles because of their more advanced technology.

For instance, both Polaris and Gallant are Combat Scouts, and as such both are built for patrol and reconnaissance duties. Gallant has a much more extensive and capable sensor network built into her hull, and can accomplish her mission at longer ranges than her older cousin. She is fast for her size, and her missiles are newer and have a longer range than the older ones found on Polaris. All this means she doesn't need to get into a nose to nose knife fight (relatively speaking) with another ship to accomplish her mission, so that consideration wasn't built into her design or accepted as a reasonable trade off for her capabilities. This doesnt mean that Gallant would snap like a twig under fire, she can absorb punishment, but she wasn't designed for direct combat.

The idea behind the comparison notes is that Polaris is older, and her sensor arrays not as advanced as her newer cousin, she is still reasonably fast but had to carry out her mission closer to the enemy (still relatively speaking) so as a result she was built to be durable, and to absorb hits and able to make a run for friendly lines or tobe able to escape combat and live to report on what it finds - she's a ship from a different age, from an active and ongoing war.

that was the idea, anyway, Polaris is Rob's design, but in a comparison between the two ships, being of the same size and role, I thought that even though Gallant is a newer (relatively speaking) vessel, Gallant would not necessarily have all the advantages when matched up against her older cousin, although Gallant's crew and captain would certainly be led to believe that they did (and get a rude shock because of it - and that makes good story I would think. icon_smile.gif)

so hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

(damn, I write small books sometimes when I post, lol.)

This post has been edited by Arkady: Aug 25 2010, 11:08 AM

+Quote Post
CDR_DAXIAN
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

post Sep 16 2010, 06:58 AM
Post #15
QUOTE (Arkady @ Aug 25 2010, 11:05 AM) *
As I understand it the fields created by the rotating torsion rings create a shield like effect, but having the spinning rings contact the atmosphere during a reentry manuever would probably have some unpleasant effects.

Actually, Gallant does have armor, as do the rest of the FG ships, and sorry if I did not make that too clear there. Polaris is a ship from a different time, though. The idea is like comparing a cruiser or destroyer from world war II to one of today, the ships of the second world war could take a lot of punishment, but overall the more modern ships are more capable in their roles because of their more advanced technology.

For instance, both Polaris and Gallant are Combat Scouts, and as such both are built for patrol and reconnaissance duties. Gallant has a much more extensive and capable sensor network built into her hull, and can accomplish her mission at longer ranges than her older cousin. She is fast for her size, and her missiles are newer and have a longer range than the older ones found on Polaris. All this means she doesn't need to get into a nose to nose knife fight (relatively speaking) with another ship to accomplish her mission, so that consideration wasn't built into her design or accepted as a reasonable trade off for her capabilities. This doesnt mean that Gallant would snap like a twig under fire, she can absorb punishment, but she wasn't designed for direct combat.

The idea behind the comparison notes is that Polaris is older, and her sensor arrays not as advanced as her newer cousin, she is still reasonably fast but had to carry out her mission closer to the enemy (still relatively speaking) so as a result she was built to be durable, and to absorb hits and able to make a run for friendly lines or tobe able to escape combat and live to report on what it finds - she's a ship from a different age, from an active and ongoing war.

that was the idea, anyway, Polaris is Rob's design, but in a comparison between the two ships, being of the same size and role, I thought that even though Gallant is a newer (relatively speaking) vessel, Gallant would not necessarily have all the advantages when matched up against her older cousin, although Gallant's crew and captain would certainly be led to believe that they did (and get a rude shock because of it - and that makes good story I would think. icon_smile.gif)

so hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

(damn, I write small books sometimes when I post, lol.)

indeed, i don't know how you got to 1,065 posts writing these things, they must be a million-billion-trillion-quardrillion-undecillion-duodecillion words bulb.gif icon_eek.gif

but nice comparison

+Quote Post
voicesinthedark
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,663

post Sep 16 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #16
okay if the Polaris has better hull armor/strength would that not also hold true for her torque rings?

also in the CGI on the show we see the torque rings extremely close to the main engine assemblies so the torque rings have got to be able to withstand heat (Yes I understand heat dissipation is different in space, but it still exists)

So would not locking the rings into their docking positions and altering the angle of re-entry trajectory actually make it possible for Polaris to land on a planet? Granted maybe not in her current elderly condition. Locking the rings in docking position would also help with the aerodynamics of atmospheric entry and flight, much like large skyscrapers are designed to be cylindrical in high wind locations.

The space shuttle reentry angle is 23% the bottom, wing edges and tail take the blunt of the heat so with Polaris it would be the rings in docking position, bottom, and the tower section. If those sections on Polaris can withstand weapons fire heat then they should be able to withstand reentry.

So overall her size would be her only problem wouldn't it?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 09:22 AM