IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fan Opinion Needed - Previews?, Should HMD do episode previews?
Should HMD do previews for its episodes?
What do you think?
Yes - Give us the "teaser" for the upcoming episode. [ 2 ] ** [15.38%]
Yes - Emulate FED and come up with a preview for each episode. [ 2 ] ** [15.38%]
Yes - I don't care which direction, but give me a fix before the episode releases. [ 1 ] ** [7.69%]
I don't care either way. [ 3 ] ** [23.08%]
No - I like surprises. [ 5 ] ** [38.46%]
Total Votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Jan 12 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #1
I'd like your opinion on the matter of previews.

With the exception of the video teaser for the series before we launched in 2009, we've not done previews for our episodes thus far. This is in opposition to Federation One, which has done previews for each of its audio episodes.

Honestly, I'm neutral on the topic. While it may add a bit to post-production time, I'm thinking it might be worth it if we can hook more listeners. But I want to test the waters before I go there. If we do go in this direction, I can see two options. We can go the direction of just providing some or all of the episode's "teaser" (i.e. that portion prior to the main title) or we can go the direction of FED and do a more "theatrical trailer"-themed preview.

Aside from voting in the poll, your thoughts would be appreciated. I am on something of a timetable with this if you want one for 1.05 - Gareth is in the process of resolving some computer issues, so I'm expecting a new theme for the show to be ready by the end of the weekend (crossing fingers). That puts the episode completion sometime late this month or early February. So...I'd say a week from today would be as much time as I can give.

Speak up! Chime in! Let me know what you think!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whiteknight
Production Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 4,379

post Jan 12 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #2
You could always try it on a per episode basis and if you find its not working out, then discontinue it.

Just a thought.

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Jan 12 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #3
QUOTE (Whiteknight @ Jan 12 2011, 10:53 PM) *
You could always try it on a per episode basis and if you find its not working out, then discontinue it.

Just a thought.

Good thought. But based on that, which would you suggest? Or do you think trying one of each might be best?

+Quote Post
Whiteknight
Production Coordinator
Group Icon

post Jan 12 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #4
it all comes down to time.....if you have the time to create a quality preview that does your upcoming episode justice, then go for it.
.......but since we are fan based and don't get paid for this, and we also have a private life to live as well, its really up to you to decide if its worth your time and effort to pull it off.

Don't try to add more work on yourself or allow others to add more work for you....
do what you can with the time you have available to put your focus on creating the best episode you can possibly present.
If someone wants to do it for you and your ok with that, then that can work in your favor as well.

in truth, some of the old audio series i remember from back in the days actually had their previews of the upcoming episode at the end of the most current audio episode released.

Now, if you can think that far ahead and get enough info to pull that off, it might be a lit easier on you as your be in the process of pre or in full production mode for the next episode anywho, so up to you.

hope that helps!

This post has been edited by Whiteknight: Jan 12 2011, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post
be back 1
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

We be unveiling two new models on or about may 21,2011

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,172

post Jan 13 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #5
Look I dont care how i get it but i need a HF fix or I going to get a batter infection > I am not kidding

+Quote Post
Whiteknight
Production Coordinator
Group Icon

post Jan 13 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #6
no worries, I got a catheter for you, so you dont have to wait.

+Quote Post
mb362
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,684

post Jan 13 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #7
I'd say go for the teaser. It certainly will wet appetites and get people (including me) thinking "ooh what happens next?, I have to listen to it". But if there is time do the theatrical. So I guess one of each icon_smile.gif and then have another vote. Whiteknights "put it at the end of the current episode" idea is a good one.

-Sparky

+Quote Post
usscantabrian
Ken Kato/EQX Writer
Group Icon

How do you set a laser printer to stun?

Member No.: 2,986

post Jan 14 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #8
I voted for the "preview".

To be honest, it could be pretty short, introduced with "Next time, on Henglaar, M.D.:", having the lines "condensed" like they did for Star Trek or Dr Who (i.e. remove any superfluous dialogue or dramatic pause between lines).

Just my icon_mytwocents.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 02:59 PM