> Getting security redirect when trying to go to the site
okuv14
Ensign
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,010

post Oct 11 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #1
I recently discovered the very fine work you guys have been doing here, and while I'm currently enjoying the original Hidden Frontier, fanfiction can only go so far, so I also tried to check out Frontier Guard. However, attempting to follow any link to the "www.frontier-guard.com" site has resulted in me getting redirected by my university's network with the following message:

Security Redirect

The link you just clicked on is associated with a known infected/malicious web page.

We have redirected you to this web page for your safety.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm aware that Frontier Guard is canceled or at least on hold for now, but does that mean the website has gone down? I find hard to believe you would knowingly run a malicious site.

Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kaziarl
Ensign
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,744

post Oct 11 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #2
Looks like a mistake. I just checked, I can get there just fine. You're anti-virus or other such programs might just be overly sensitive.

+Quote Post
sffilk
Admiral
Group Icon

Harman Rabb in Starfleet?

Member No.: 1,480

post Oct 11 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #3
QUOTE (Kaziarl @ Oct 11 2011, 08:27 PM) *
Looks like a mistake. I just checked, I can get there just fine. You're anti-virus or other such programs might just be overly sensitive.

Same here. It worked just fine.

+Quote Post
okuv14
Ensign
Group Icon

post Oct 11 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #4
You're anti-virus or other such programs might just be overly sensitive.

Technically, they aren't my anti-virus programs - it's coming from the network of my university. I'll try opening the page on a different network and see how that goes, since this is still happening as we speak.

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 17

post Oct 11 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #5
QUOTE (okuv14 @ Oct 11 2011, 05:16 PM) *
I recently discovered the very fine work you guys have been doing here, and while I'm currently enjoying the original Hidden Frontier, fanfiction can only go so far, so I also tried to check out Frontier Guard. However, attempting to follow any link to the "www.frontier-guard.com" site has resulted in me getting redirected by my university's network with the following message:

Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm aware that Frontier Guard is canceled or at least on hold for now, but does that mean the website has gone down? I find hard to believe you would knowingly run a malicious site.

Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated.

It could be DNS poisoning either on your local ISP or on your machine, or your connection is being routed through a bad server. HF's core services are hosted by a well-known and reputable hosting company, so it's not the source. I would advise you to contact your university's IT/IS department and request assistance.

+Quote Post
USSFiredrake
Rear Admiral
Group Icon

Member No.: 971

post Oct 17 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #6
Because the speakers on my computer aren't working right, I watched "Tossed Upon The Shore" on my mother's computer, and came here to get the YouTube link. Though we both use Norton AV, courtesy of Comcast, she also has some kind of program from McAfee installed and IT listed hiddenfrontier.com as a known "dangerous site". bulb.gif

+Quote Post
okuv14
Ensign
Group Icon

post Oct 21 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #7
I have that installed as well, and it's doing the same thing, but that's not quite what I'm talking about.

Haven't had a chance to try anything else yet, but will contact my IT department on Monday.

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Nov 9 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #8
Well, well, well.

Turns out Mcafee check a number of sites using a number of tests and then maintain a threat database which had the HF website marked as dangerous. There were no apparent reasons for this as they give no details.

I've been in touch and they made some changes. Early tests seem to show it now isn't being flagged as suspicious.

That said, we have absolutely no control over what they do or why and it could happen again.

Michael

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 06:09 AM