hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Dec 24 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #1
I received a couple of questions via e-mail, hopefully the members here can assist in answering them.

1. Is there some history between Henglaar and the Admiral's secretary from the first episode. To us all she sounded decidedly hostile toward Henglaar.

2. As a member of Starfleet, isn't it illegal (if that is the proper term) for the FCA to attempt to arrest Profto. After all the very requirements of his position and organization seem to violate the FCA rules.

M Dunn
South Bend Star Trek Fan Club
"USS Jules Verne"

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DHillMSP
David W. Hill, HMD Exec Producer, Staff Editor/Audio Engineer
Group Icon

Semper Vigilans

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 4,051

post Dec 24 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #2
QUOTE (hudson @ Dec 24 2011, 05:12 AM) *
I received a couple of questions via e-mail, hopefully the members here can assist in answering them.

1. Is there some history between Henglaar and the Admiral's secretary from the first episode. To us all she sounded decidedly hostile toward Henglaar.

2. As a member of Starfleet, isn't it illegal (if that is the proper term) for the FCA to attempt to arrest Profto. After all the very requirements of his position and organization seem to violate the FCA rules.

M Dunn
South Bend Star Trek Fan Club
"USS Jules Verne"

Thanks.

Thanks for the forward, Mr. Hudson. icon_mrgreen.gif

As to the first question, there was nothing noted in the script (penned by series creator Eric Weaver) that indicated a past relationship to my recollection. The secretary was just on the haughty side. Given how uppity the Admiral was, this doesn't surprise me. icon_mrgreen.gif If he has more details, he should share them with all of us. bulb.gif

As to the FCA "issues" in HMD 1.05, Profto still holds Ferengi citizenship and as such would still be subject to their laws, which the Federation would likely have to honor in terms of, say, a treaty, like the one mentioned in the episode. The charge was altruism in relation to his family's charity work. As we know members of the family can be held responsible for the offenses of others in that family (Ishka/Quark for example) - this would be a similar case, although one that did not fall on the eldest son (things get handled differently based on the charge and how widespread within the family the offense is/who is responsible).

As to the requirements of his position and organization, think back to Nog. He's still in Starfleet working up to his captaincy, I'd wager. As the Grand Nagus' son, I would think that would be an acceptable line of work for a Ferengi in this day and age. icon_mrgreen.gif

Mr. Painter might want to add his two cents, but this is where I landed when I greenlighted the script. icon_mrgreen.gif

+Quote Post
MarkP
HMD Producer/Staff Writer/Editor
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 4,112

post Dec 31 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #3
I'm a lawyer, so if you ask me a legal question, you have only yourself to blame for what happens next. icon_smile.gif

The legal situation in "Profit Without Honor" is quite complicated. We have a Ferengi family with charges pending against them on Ferenginar, who are avoiding prosecution by staying out of Ferengi territory. But then, while in Romulan territory, they are accused of violating Romulan law. One of them ends up on a Federation ship in Romulan space.

And then there's Profto.

It is not clear to me that Profto is personally liable under Ferengi law for the charge of altruism, although, as David notes, there is precedent for the idea that Ferengi law lays guilt against an entire family. I would assume that joining Starfleet is not per se a violation of Ferengi law, which the question seems to suggest, because no one ever mentioned such a thing when Nog joined Starfleet in DS9. (The Ferengi have a military, too, and military service is something they presumably can reconcile with their principles.)

But Profto's family (Gex in particular) are also accused of crimes under Romulan law: smuggling, kidnapping, bribery. Gex has admitted to bribery, and Profto is an admitted accomplice of Gex's, meaning he is also in jeopardy under Romulan law. Then there's the added complication that Profto is a Starfleet officer. You know, this would make a pretty good final exam question in a law school course on Conflict of Laws.

It should be noted that Liquidator Brant does not explicitly attempt to arrest Profto. The line in the episode that (I think) inspired the question is where Brant says: "The FCA agreed to allow the Romulans to confiscate all your family's wealth. In exchange, the Romulans agreed to arrest you all and extradite you to Ferenginar!" Note that Brant is not saying he will arrest anyone. He is saying that the Romulans will arrest members of Profto's family and extradite them to Ferenginar. I can see where someone might think "you all" includes Gex and Profto. However, Gex and Profto are aboard Cole, which puts them outside the reach of Romulan authority. So I think Brant is referring primarily to the other members of Profto's family still on Zentiron Prime, not to Gex or Profto themselves.

I agree that Brant likely does not have the authority simply to beam himself aboard Cole and start arresting people. Still, given that Gex is accused of violating Ferengi and Romulan law and is a foreign national, I think Captain Karsten would be hard pressed to say no, should Brant demand that Gex be turned over to Ferengi authorities. Gex might claim political asylum, and that might work in the case of the charge of altruism, since (one assumes) punishing a person for altruism is repugnant to Federation law. Still, Gex is also accused of kidnapping, smuggling, and bribery, which (again, one assumes) are also crimes under Federation law. Gex might have a stronger claim if he argued for asylum on the basis that the FCA has it in for him and he can't get a fair trial on Ferenginar. That actually sounds pretty plausible to me, though the Federation would probably have to convene some sort of hearing to evaluate his claim. As for Profto, there is the added complication that he is a Starfleet officer, but if a case can be made that he was an accessory to Gex's violations of Ferengi and Romulan law, it is likely, I think, that the FCA could make some sort of extradition request which would, again, require Starfleet to convene some sort of hearing to consider turning him over.

So I think that when Brant says "you all," he's getting caught up in the heat of the moment and doesn't actually expect to take Gex and Profto into custody then and there, although he probably is thinking that the FCA is going to get custody of the two of them eventually.

At least, that's how I understand it.

+Quote Post
hudson
Michael Hudson, Website Staff
Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/hiddenfrontier

Group: Website Staff
Member No.: 2,837

post Jan 1 2012, 03:01 AM
Post #4
Cheers icon_smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tiberius Mudd
Lieutenant
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,957

post Jan 2 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #5
As to the first question, there was nothing noted in the script (penned by series creator Eric Weaver) that indicated a past relationship to my recollection. The secretary was just on the haughty side. Given how uppity the Admiral was, this doesn't surprise me. If he has more details, he should share them with all of us.

You've got it! Just wanted Henglaar to be in a scenario where he was clearly around people who weren't on his side, starting with the secretary. He was in deep, deep trouble, after all!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 03:37 AM