> Federation civilians and non-Starfleet services
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,423

post Jan 9 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #1
This should be a big topic with lots of room for conjecture and references to what's made it on screen and in the books.

I'm wondering about, for lack of a better blanket term, the Federation services outside of Starfleet, as well as Federation civilians.

In TOS, we see:

* Federation research and survey teams, studying various things or preparing to colonize a planet.
* Starbase personnel (Starfleet has starbases) versus space station and outpost personnel. K-7, for example, appears to be a civilian space station, not Starfleet. But perhaps it's run by a branch of Federation services? Outposts would appear to be any of the three (Starfleet, other services, or civilian).
* Federation colonists and teams starting colonies. These are civilians but might be led by Federation service personnel, either way is possible.
* Federation civilians as traders, freighters, prospectors, scouts, passenger ship crews and passengers, and so on.

In the old Starfleet Technical Manual, there are references on the org charts that specify starbase personnel and operations of some kind, colonial survey and research, and other things. I don't have those in front of me for reference. But there's something there to give credence to the idea of "non-Starfleet services" as official parts of the Federation way of exploring and colonizing (and making use of) space.

We see two major styles of coveralls or uniforms in the costumes in TOS. There are the jumpsuits in various bright colors, seen on K-7 and Deneva and (oddly enough) the Kelvans (oops, lack of budget, possibly, so they used what they had). Then we see a set in black, dark olive, and teal worn by the professor in "Man Trap," the colonists with the spore plants (Spock falls for Leila), and the episode with Roger Corby and Ruk. Then we see random other costumes for civilians, including a business suit for civilian men.

I'm taking it that both styles of jumpsuits are mass produced and used as everyday work clothes by civilians, whether colonists, starship crews, starbase/station crews, or what have you; and that any official Federation service personnel may use the same. I'm guessing the clothes are through something like an army/navy surplus or sporting goods store or something like a general store or big box warehouse department store.

I'm also guessing that research scientists, engineers, and teams like those are hired from business, academia, or individuals, for any Federation service needs, as needed at the time. -- But then, for that matter, some may be just as easily through big companies or private investors.

I'm trying to pin down a little about how things are done in the Federation, through Starfleet, through other Federation official services, through civilian companies or member governments, or through private groups or individuals.

This grew out of trying to figure out things to do with those civilians and the workings of the Federation we don't know about enough from TOS and later. We rarely saw that even in DS9, which I had expected would show more.

Any ideas on this? It came up for me in trying to figure things out for a story, but there seems to be more than enough wiggle room, enough to drive a big starship through, for any writers. So I thought I'd bring it up for discussion.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Belgarion
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,114

post Apr 13 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #2
If anyone wants to say Im bumping this topic, I'm not. I didn't see it prior to this posting.

I think the costumes should be just treated as that, clothes. I think you might be right about there being a general style of clothing that exists that everyone has some access to and uses. Its possible that the people on K-7 were wearing these as they were further away from Starfleet HQ and they might be more practical for the kind of work they have to do.

The TOS Tech Manual does mention Base Operations as a section within the framework of Star Fleet. It also has Fleet Operations which presumably is the ships. Others include Logistics Support, Security Division Colonial Operations General Accounting and Galaxy Exploration.

I think those other departments would be responsible for administering policies and such not so much for the whole Federation but where Starfleet is involved with such occurrences. It also mentions a Space Safety Board. To me this sounds more like a Federation government department, that would be setting and administering standards and protocols for safety in space, much as we have for safety at sea nowadays. Not just for Starfleet but for civilan cargo ships and starliners and pleasure craft, and other government vessels. I think the Starfleet branch of it would essentially be like a safety committee in a work place, ensuring that the safety standards Starfleet is meant to following are in fact followed, and trying to identify improvements to safety with the Starfleet.

I came up with a body called the Federation Deep Space Exploration Commission, which I see as acting kind of like a coverall for all general scientific exploration. I'm sure there are plenty of universities and research centres and other organisations in the Federation that would like to explore space. Starfleet would be but one. I sort of saw the FDSEC as administering things in a general way, so that too many people aren't trying to do research on the same planet etc at the same time. Examples might include the Hansens, when they went Borg hunting. They might have applied the FDSEC for permission/funding what have you and that might have been why Starfleet couldn't stop them, and indeed expressed doubts about them. Also the anthropological team on Mintaka III lead by Dr Barron "Who Watches the Watchers?" [TNG] would seem to fit the bill. They aren't using Starfleet uniforms, so it's very possible they are from the University of Bremmerhaven for all we know.

I think there would be plenty of other organisations that would exists Departments of Commerce, to regulate interplanetary commerce, Environment departments, even Educational departments possibly only the regulate and administer higher tertiary education facilities. I think a lot of things would still be done at the planetary level but there would be certain things that would indeed need a higher level of administration simply because we are talking about such vast distances and different cultures on different worlds.

+Quote Post
Belgarion
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

post Apr 13 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #3
In case you were curious:

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

post Apr 22 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #4
Thanks, and I'm glad to see any discussion on the topic.

We get some indication too of official Federation sanctioning, backing, of science research teams and colonization efforts. (One example from TOS, the Starnes expedition's UFP red pennant and reporting back to the Federation.) I remember an early TNG episode had a civilian scientist come aboard in something resembling a Starfleet uniform, but muted colors. (Can't recall the ep or plot, sorry.)

Story-wise and canon-wise, I think there's probably room for authors (scriptwriters too) to come up with all sorts of solutions, thinking more on it. It might actually be a better idea to do some hand-waving and say there are multiple ways and not just the government (Federation) doing things. Hmm...that could also make things more complicated for the Starfleet folks sent in to solve whatever's going on....

+Quote Post
Captain Hunter
Nick Cook, Support Staff
Group Icon

On the edge of the frontier.

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 23

post Apr 23 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #5
QUOTE (BlueCatShip @ Apr 23 2012, 03:29 AM) *
I remember an early TNG episode had a civilian scientist come aboard in something resembling a Starfleet uniform, but muted colors. (Can't recall the ep or plot, sorry.)

I presume you mean the Federation Science Council. These uniforms cropped up quite regularly, I actually own one. It's been used briefly on Intrepid, but not to the extent I'd hoped. So far.

+Quote Post
BlueCatShip
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

post Apr 24 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #6
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the one. Thanks, Cap'n.

+Quote Post
Will
Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,112

post Jul 6 2012, 01:13 AM
Post #7
According to Memory Alpha:
In 2267, UESPA was the operating authority of the USS Enterprise's five-year mission. Captain Kirk informed John Christopher of this after time traveling to the year 1969. (TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday")

I imagine that UESPA (the United Earth Space Probe Agency) would be the overall authority for any deep-space operations, such as K-7, or terraforming/colonization missions (at least in the 23rd century

+Quote Post
Belgarion
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

post Jul 6 2012, 03:20 AM
Post #8
Just putting my idea into the mix on that. I had always presumed that Kirk was simply making something up when he said that, so that Captain Christopher would have no accurate knowledge of the future. There was something about the way he said it that made me think that. Of course then they have gone and made it an official thing. They keep saying that the abbreviation was said once, but I don't ever recall hearing it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 12:48 AM