IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Star Trek XI Casting - Officially Confirmed!
Robin
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,483

post Jul 29 2007, 03:10 AM
Post #1
Paramout has confirmed that Spock will be played, in Star Trek (da movie), by Leonard Nimoy ... and Zachary Quinto! Not bad casting IMHO. They've also said they're trying to find a way to work in Bill Shatner playing with Nimoy at the 24th Century kinda age, but they're not about to just shove him in and admit to the Shatnerverse continuity nonsense. So hopefully he won't be able to lower the tone with his presence.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/07/26/abrams-con...-wants-shatner/

Let the adulation commence for those of you with an open mind ... for those of you who object that a time machine cannot be used to return to the sixties to use the original actors at their original ages and use that original sixties sense of no-one needing to be able to act as though they're real people in the real world with real feelings, let the moaning commence.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CGBMike
Lieutenant J.G.
Group Icon

Member No.: 669

post Jul 29 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #2
I think this is great, then again I've been looking forward to the reboot since it was announced. I've just got into Heroes (I know! I'm behind the times) but Quinto is a fantastic actor, and everything Leonard Nimoy has said about it leads me to believe this'll be fantastic. (Remember, he's not a gusher, he refused to be in Generations)

+Quote Post
Belgarion
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,114

post Jul 29 2007, 04:34 AM
Post #3
Yes there was a very brief article in yesterdays local paper about Nimoy making the announcement that he would be in the new movie at that ComCon thingy. It even had a groovy little picture of him.
I dont watch heroes so I cant comment of that other guy.

+Quote Post
sabarwolf
Commodore
Group Icon

Capt. Bruce J. Space, U.S.S. Eagle Star

Member No.: 702

post Jul 29 2007, 06:13 AM
Post #4
Okay, now my interest is piqued.  :)

+Quote Post
Anarchist86ed
Commodore
Group Icon

Member No.: 887

post Jul 29 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #5
If this was a story about spock and the Romulan underground, I'd understand. But it isn't. It's a reboot and will be another lame attempt at rewriting trek history like Enterforaprize.

+Quote Post
DGCatAniSiri
Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,600

post Jul 29 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #6
I'm desperately trying to come up with a 'Spock's Brain' joke to go with this news, but I can't think of anything. The downside to midday naps.

+Quote Post
Dan_C
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,096

post Jul 29 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #7
If this was a story about spock and the Romulan underground, I'd understand. But it isn't. It's a reboot and will be another lame attempt at rewriting trek history like Enterforaprize.

Feel free to post a link to support that statement.

Dan

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

Group: HF Productions Cast / Crew
Member No.: 17

post Jul 29 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #8
Read the casting notice that started this thread.  It's a 2.0/reboot/reimaging/whatever you wanna call it to justify a total abandonment of story details that are inconvenient to the "grand plan".

-Jonathan

+Quote Post
kujhawker
Admiral
Group Icon

Admiral KUJ - Chief Recruiter of the Elite StarFleet Man Candy Corp. Join Today!

Member No.: 2,538

post Jul 30 2007, 01:09 AM
Post #9
Well I am still holding out that it is a prequel.  Action and story line happening before TOS and keeping within canon.  If it is a reboot or reimage I will be very disappointed.  However with various rumors going around I am worried.

+Quote Post
Dan_C
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

post Jul 30 2007, 05:37 AM
Post #10
Please quote from the casting notice that started this thread the comments and line items that support your thesis.  I'm interested in what you are reading that speaks to you in such a way.

Having read through it myself, I find I can draw no conclusions about content, canon, or adherence thereof from this article.

I can draw conclusions about how excited the participants are to be doing the movie. Knowing that Nimoy wouldn't come out of his acting retirement for the part he had in Generations, I feel confident that Old Spock has a pretty significant story to tell in this script.

The fact that they don't want to shoe-horn The Shat into the movie tells me that Old Kirk is dead in this movie's timeline, meaning that, right there, it at least tacitly awknowledges TNG (something that, personally, I wouldn't do if I were writing it, so try to find a nugget of happiness there...).

So, please, highlight and quote here the passages of the linked article that lead you to make your statement.

Dan

+Quote Post
Belgarion
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

post Jul 30 2007, 06:22 AM
Post #11
The fact that they don't want to shoe-horn The Shat into the movie tells me that Old Kirk is dead in this movie's timeline, meaning that, right there, it at least tacitly awknowledges TNG (something that, personally, I wouldn't do if I were writing it, so try to find a nugget of happiness there...).

Perhaps I missed something. What did you mean here Dan? Specifically with regards to the TNG acknowledgement, and your not doing that if you were writing it?

+Quote Post
Dan_C
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

post Jul 30 2007, 07:12 AM
Post #12
The "easiest" way into the story if you have "Old Spock" on board, is to have "Old Kirk" on board and have the two of them reminiscing about the first time they met. Since putting Old Kirk into the movie was a not something the story lent itself to without conjuring phrases like "shoe-horn", Old Kirk must not be available within the confines of the story.

One reason he would be unavailable is if he's dead. Since he died in TNG's Generations movie, having him dead in "Star Trek" wouldn't overtly contradict Jon's beloved canon, while not requiring the audience to know how he died (making it accessible to Trek fans and mainstream fans who bailed before Generations).

If for some strange reason, instead of hiring the talented and creative professional writers they have, Paramount decided to hire me to write the script, I would reboot Trek. I'm not writing the script. For people like Jon and Sec31Mike and others who fear Ragnarök if canon is violated, the *fact* that I'm not writing the script should come as a small kernel of silver happiness ;)

I take the fact that Nimoy is participating, but that Shatner (though he wants to) is not participating as a positive from a story perspective (even though I love me some Shat, and would love Shat as Kirk as directed by JJ Abrams). It makes it more likely that Old Spock is going to be more than an exposition tool, and may actually have an adventure of his own that parallels the first adventure he had with Kirk back in the day.

Given that this is the first official, Q&A-style information session, with real fans posing the questions, and this is the information that came out of it, I see nothing to support the dire predictions that have been made on this board in various threads by various individuals over the last year or so.

Hope that's clear enough :)

Dan

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

post Jul 30 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #13
OK, I take what I said back, partially.

Based on previous interviews with the writers and director that I've read, combined with the casting announcement, I maintain that there is ample evidence to indicate that they intend to do a 2.0/reboot/reimagining of Trek in this movie in an effort to increase their good graces within the Paramount elite and put "Saved Star Trek" on their resume.

-Jonathan

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

post Jul 30 2007, 02:21 PM
Post #14
If for some strange reason, instead of hiring the talented and creative professional writers they have, Paramount decided to hire me to write the script, I would reboot Trek. I'm not writing the script. For people like Jon and Sec31Mike and others who fear Ragnarök if canon is violated, the *fact* that I'm not writing the script should come as a small kernel of silver happiness ;)

I don't "fear Ragnarök", as you put it.  I simply believe that opting to do a reboot or reimagining in the same manner that BSG has been made is lazy writing.  I also think that it's opting to ride on the coattails of a successful franchise in order to promote ideas the writer wouldn't have ever gotten a chance to had they been more creative and put it into a new series to stand by itself (please note that spinoffs that hold to the original universe's rules of engagement/history do not fall under this opinion.).

I also feel that it's dishonest and unethical for a production company to slap a familiar set of labels on something and imply that it's the same thing simply to get nostalgic fans to show up when you have no intention of giving them something that bears more than a passing resemblance to what they fell in love with.

One reason he would be unavailable is if he's dead. Since he died in TNG's Generations movie, having him dead in "Star Trek" wouldn't overtly contradict Jon's beloved canon, while not requiring the audience to know how he died (making it accessible to Trek fans and mainstream fans who bailed before Generations).

I couldn't care less who is cast in the movie, really.  Cast Shat, cast Nimoy, cast the entire Original Series crew for all it matters to me.  All I care about is if they're going to throw out what came before, or if they are going to work their aft sensor arrays to exhaustion trying to get it right.

If they manage to successfully navigate the minefield that is TOS canon without setting off more than a few minor ones (and by minor, I mean truly insignificant - nothing history-altering), I'll be impressed.  But until then, I maintain that they are going to be doing a reboot, and we caught them in the act far earlier than they'd hoped we would.

-Jonathan

(edited to remove information not intended for public consumption - sorry...)

+Quote Post
Belgarion
Fleet Captain
Group Icon

post Jul 31 2007, 06:12 AM
Post #15
Ok well I can understand that.
If they wanted to include Kirk (Shatner preferably) they could easily have any "recent" part set sometime between TUC and Gen. that would seriously compromise canon. If theyre going to do it as a Kirk is dead, thing, as long as they "presume" he was killed on the Ent B then I dont really care, nor do I think most other people would. That would simply mean that those who have seen Generations are satisfied, as indeed Im sure would those older Trek fans who havent, because lets face it. It would be near impossible for them not to have heard about it by now.

I have to say, I hope they dont go messing about too much with canon. Yes, I have expressed certain annoyances about canon in the past, but those are mainly situations where people seem to take leave of common sense and intelligence. TOS canon is a minefield, as Jonathon quite correctly pointed out. Moving things there so that they happen say a few months earlier or later, even if this does change the year by one, isnt going to change things hugely, If they try to erase things, or modifiy things in a significant way, then I would be annoyed.

But then as we all know canon is continually being written while Trek is in production. This happened all the way through TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. So its certainly nothing new from that point of view.

+Quote Post
Dan_C
Lieutenant Commander
Group Icon

post Aug 1 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #16
http://trekmovie.com/2007/08/01/interview-...art-1/#more-895

trekmovie.com's Anthony Pascale has a Comic-Con interview with Leonard Nimoy.

Dan

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

post Aug 1 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #17
Well, if the man who I wanted to take the helm instead of Berman says that they're being careful to respect the history and what came before - and he has said that here - then I will relax my guard a bit.  The only thing I find odd is that he appears to look at canon and what that means a bit differently than the fans do.

I remain guarded, but open to new information.

-Jonathan

+Quote Post
drflox99204
Commander
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,241

post Aug 1 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #18
Let’s try this on remember there is a HUGE amount of prior star trek knowledge out there, way more lore and fact than Battlestar—so a re-envisioning isn’t as easy but…
How about focusing on  Reminiscing(face it there really isn’t an a developed world citizen who doesn’t know who Kirk and Spock are or look like), --Spock telling the story of how he (Spock) met the young Kirk and a professional  relationship and then friendship develops and continues..., if Shatner comes back there is plenty of ways to share an older set of memories between Kirk and Spock  Prior to the Kirk units death in Generations-Scene” Spock and Kirk in space dock as they walk towards a Gang way as the now Ambassador Spock leaves on his first assignment and Kirk shares how sorry he is that Spock will not be there for the commission of the good ship Enterprise B, Kirk continues with his fear of being useless and put out to pasture – perfect tie in and linking to utilize the old and patch in the new
I am hoping that Paramount /CBS came to their senses and said do it but  don’t disrupt canon too much as  we have way too many millions of dollars in star trek historical assets (prior series and films) to ruin them for new fans by not having them match the new movie..

+Quote Post
rick20625
Rick Pike - Public Relations Pirate
Group Icon

I would neverr join a group that would have me as a member...

Member No.: 3,134

post Aug 1 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #19

Just as a point of perspective...

For 99.9% of the fans, they are not Trek obsessed like some (we) are.  They could care less about some of the canon. 

The last 2 movies, not to mention the last official TV series were pretty awful, so if they change some "canon" introduced there...  fine with me.  Star Trek the franchise has lost LOTS of former hardcore fans (like me) over the past 7 years or so.  As long as the new story works and is a good, compelling story, it will be fine by me (and 99.9% of the fans). 

For those fans who obsess over things like this, they'll never be happy with it, so why try.  It would be nice and tidy not to have too many different versions of "history" -- but let's just chalk it up to another temporal burp that caused some minor distortion.  Or, perhaps, remind ourselves that this is a fictional TV show/movie series we're talking about...

It's 2007, and there hasn't been a Eugenics War.  I can still enjoy Star Trek.

Rick

+Quote Post
capell
HMD Technical Advisor
Group Icon

post Aug 1 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #20
90%+ of computer users across the globe use Windows.  Why should we bother with a safer/more stable/more secure OS, when less than 10% care about getting it right to begin with?

An estimated 90% of the world classifies themselves as heterosexual.  Why should we bother caring about the estimated 10% who don't?

90%+ of a school's student body is of sufficient talent to not need special care for education.  Why should I care about the less than 10% who have special needs?

I'm on time to work 90% of the time... ...why should my employer care about the 10% of the time I show up late or not at all?

Palo Alto's nuclear reactor's safety rate is above 90%.  Why should we care about the less than 10% it's not safe?

99% of the audiences I've done show support for don't care if I spent three extra hours prior to call to ensure that they got what they paid for.  Why should I have bothered doing it for the 1% who will end up enjoying the show more as a result of what I've done?

See the trend I'm laying down here?  If you don't care about that which IS impacted, then you can just as easily not care about the other portion.

And why would you want to minimize my caring about Star Trek with the classic argument-killer, "But it's just a TV show/movie/play/musical/etc.!"?  Well, so's Hidden Frontier, dude.  So's Odyssey.  So's New Voyages, so's Helena Chronicles, so's every other beloved TV program out there.  If that's the stance I'm being asked to take, why bother caring about any show at all?  After all... ...it's just a show.

-Jonathan

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 01:23 AM